Sofiyya

Islam For All Time?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
They seen the hair on my arms and they didn't know how to tell me as we didn't speak each others language that it needed to be removed, so this just got my hand and took me to the sink and shaved it off. I guess it is usually waxed off but I think they where not sure how I would take that. I have never had my eybrows doen with a thread but I have now, oh lets not forget my mustach, yeah the threaded that off also. See I have a lot to learn and I try and learn something everday to better myself.

Is this perhaps their culture and not their religion? As far as I understand it, waxing/shaving/plucking/removing/shaping the eyebrows is haraam.

I've never heard anything that says you have to shave your arms either :huh: I think you're a better person than me coz I would have been offended and stopped them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Waxing the arms is definately cultural in Egypt. Egyptians tend to have very dark heavy hair, so a woman may get a total body wax prior to her wedding :o There was actually a commercial on last time I was there where you have all the old aunties stalking towards the bride's room, their wax in hand, but when they arrive, they find she's using some new fangled stuff that appears to hurt less :lol:

I neva waxed my arms :no: I like my light fluffy arm hair.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Waxing the arms is definately cultural in Egypt. Egyptians tend to have very dark heavy hair, so a woman may get a total body wax prior to her wedding :o There was actually a commercial on last time I was there where you have all the old aunties stalking towards the bride's room, their wax in hand, but when they arrive, they find she's using some new fangled stuff that appears to hurt less :lol:

Aren't we supposed to wax our hoo hoo too??? :blink:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Aren't we supposed to wax our hoo hoo too??? :blink:

Egyptian men like that ;)

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i've got pots of hot wax waiting for all of you.... i do it all day at my office! wooooooooohooooo... hoo hoo and all! :blush::lol::lol::thumbs::yes::whistle: yep, sure do - and ppl pay me good money to rip that hair out - btw, it's not just egyptians that like that ;)

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
i've got pots of hot wax waiting for all of you.... i do it all day at my office! wooooooooohooooo... hoo hoo and all! :blush::lol::lol::thumbs::yes::whistle: yep, sure do - and ppl pay me good money to rip that hair out - btw, it's not just egyptians that like that ;)

ouch.

:huh:

ya know...i did it ONCE. Was itchin' like a madwoman for DAYS afterwards.

I need to find a better way........ :whistle:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thank God for small gifts inside2-razor.jpg

chicken :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Thank God for small gifts inside2-razor.jpg

chicken :P

i'd like to just mention, charles, that men are the biggest wimps when it comes to waxing!!! they whine like babies.... why do you think God chose woman to bear children? cuz men couldn't handle it! :P

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

Your evil!!!you enjoy people's pain?. I think we should make the men wax. Trust me one time and they will tell we can be as hairy as we want as long as they never have to do that again. Can you imagine the screaming and crying from the Men? :lol::devil:

By the way, trying telling an arabic woman that you use the raizer and see the shock and dismay on her face. :o

They seen the hair on my arms and they didn't know how to tell me as we didn't speak each others language that it needed to be removed, so this just got my hand and took me to the sink and shaved it off. I guess it is usually waxed off but I think they where not sure how I would take that. I have never had my eybrows doen with a thread but I have now, oh lets not forget my mustach, yeah the threaded that off also. See I have a lot to learn and I try and learn something everday to better myself.

Is this perhaps their culture and not their religion? As far as I understand it, waxing/shaving/plucking/removing/shaping the eyebrows is haraam.

I've never heard anything that says you have to shave your arms either :huh: I think you're a better person than me coz I would have been offended and stopped them.

The removal of the hair is a cultural thing. I think some sects believe that the Eyebrows are Haram to be shaped. I guess it depends which school of thoughts you follow.

Timeline

ahhhh yes.... just a tip for those considering waxing - no caffeine that day if possible and try *not* to have it done around your cycle time - you're much more sensitive (couple of days before and during). some medications also make you more sensitive - like diuretics and some anti-histamines. A motrin or advil or something before hand wouldn't hurt. :thumbs: just some helpful tips from the professional wax queen! :P

Filed: Timeline
Well wax doesnt hurt that bad....o snaaaps you can get used to it and also take a motrion before :lol:

True.... I guess it just depends on where you're talking about.... I will wax my face (well just my lip and that small area between my eyebrows) but that's all that's getting waxed on me. Anyone comes near my hoo hoo with hot wax and I'm running! ScaredWhite.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.