^_^

CBS correspondent Lara Logan was sexually assaulted in Egypt

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

lara-logan.jpg

(CBSNews) On Friday February 11, the day Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a "60 Minutes" story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

There will be no further comment from CBS News and Correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/15/60minutes/main20032070.shtml

I'm curious how long ago this happened. If it was a week ago or more then it must have been a pretty horrible attack.

eta: oh I read this wrong. It happened the day he stepped down.

mawilson headline:

"Lara Logan Finally Gets Laid in Egypt"

:bonk: wilson! don't be a DB when it comes to stories about sexual assault

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ah man. You disappoint me Danno. I was expecting you to say women shouldn't be field journalists because they are weaker than men.

It's not about being weaker... that goes without saying but I doubt many men could have muscled our way safe from a determined mob.

No, it's not about women being weaker, it's about different people being more of a target in different environments.

There are places when in revolution a Black female would be safer than I would.

In any chaotic situation there are those who will take advantage of it and as we have seen in Haiti, SOuth central and any other place in the world... females are often a target.

I have seen this with my own eyes... though not to the extent I suspect this situation resulted in.... as she was a victim of a ‘BRUTAL AND SUSTAINED SEXUAL ASSAULT’.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Brave Egyptian Women and Soldiers Rescued Lara Logan from Violent Sexual Assault

Though we've done our best to highlight the goodness of the vast majority of Egypt's protesters over the past few weeks, it turns out that a handful of demonstrators turned very ugly on February 11, just hours after Hosni Mubarak stepped down.

According to an official statement today from CBS News, while covering the jubilant crowds in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Friday night, the veteran reporter Lara Logan and her crew were surrounded by an angry crowd of about 200. Though things were initially safe, the mob soon turned violent, separating Logan from her colleagues and proceeding to inflict what CBS describes as a "brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating." A week prior to her assault, Logan had been held captive by Egyptian police for 24 hours.

Perhaps the only good to come out of this tragedy is that Logan was eventually rescued from her attackers by a group of brave Egyptian women and about 20 Egyptian soldiers. She's now recovering in an undisclosed hospital in the United States.

...the veteran reporter Lara Logan and her crew were surrounded by an angry crowd of about 200. Though things were initially safe, the mob soon turned violent, separating Logan from her colleagues...

A week prior to her assault, Logan had been held captive by Egyptian police for 24 hours.

I wonder if the two events were related. :unsure:

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I find it disturbing when a topic like this has hardly any people acting concerned about the victim and instead making jokes or non-caring comments. People can't even say "wow that is horrible for her". Amby did say that...haven't seen any care from the others replying.

(It's happened with other threads too. We aren't supposed to care about the actual article if it's being used to try to make another poster look wrong or continue an ongoing debate like guns. It's gross to me. Like the recent thread about the mom in FL who killed her kids. Very sad.)

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Wasn't me, someone hijacked my account. :innocent:

I don't care. I will always remind you about it when you lease expect it :lol:

I find it disturbing when a topic like this has hardly any people acting concerned about the victim and instead making jokes or non-caring comments. People can't even say "wow that is horrible for her". Amby did say that...haven't seen any care from the others replying.

(It's happened with other threads too. We aren't supposed to care about the actual article if it's being used to try to make another poster look wrong or continue an ongoing debate like guns. It's gross to me. Like the recent thread about the mom in FL who killed her kids. Very sad.)

I agree. I am thinking it must have been pretty bad if she's in the hospital still.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

This is very true, and very sad that it is so often the case. My heart goes out to her right now, and I hate that this happened.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't think anyone dismisses the hurt this women feels, I certainly don't, when I see her reporting, she seems kinda like the "girl next door", can't imagine the fear and now mental process she must be going through now.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn