mtlgato

customs paperwork

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so: On the bright side--I *did* finally get my passport back with my visa in it. Yay! And I'm planning on doing POE on Tuesday.

But, wow: So tedious, this paperwork! And I'm so burnt out. I'm surprised I've never seen complaints on here before about the fact that we're supposed to list "country of manufacture" for every single thing we're bringing into the US? Every pair of socks...seriously?

Anyone care to comment or share your experience? Anyone have a cbp officer actually check labels on articles of clothing or anything along those lines?

C.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you shipping after you cross? thats why you need to fill out the crazy detailed customs forms. Most people get a Uhaul and go that way or have little to no belongings going with them so they don't fill out thos crazy customs forms.

If you are bringing a Uhaul and doing your own move you just make up your own list and number and lable the boxes. If you are using something like ABF or POD then yes you needa do all the customs papers cross to the USA and then provide the company with your copys of stuff after crossing to prove you are in the US and all this crazy stuff!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Thats why I just threw all my stuff on the front lawn with "please adopt me" stickers on it. It was all gone by the evening, and I only had clothes to pack :)

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Thats why I just threw all my stuff on the front lawn with "please adopt me" stickers on it. It was all gone by the evening, and I only had clothes to pack :)

You had the right approach, I think! This is nuts. I'm getting rid of lots of stuff, but I half think I should just get rid of all of it!!!

C.

Timeline

Are you shipping after you cross? thats why you need to fill out the crazy detailed customs forms. Most people get a Uhaul and go that way or have little to no belongings going with them so they don't fill out thos crazy customs forms.

If you are bringing a Uhaul and doing your own move you just make up your own list and number and lable the boxes. If you are using something like ABF or POD then yes you needa do all the customs papers cross to the USA and then provide the company with your copys of stuff after crossing to prove you are in the US and all this crazy stuff!

Uhaul wasn't the way to go for me. It's too long a trip, and I have too young an infant. Little-to-no belongings would have been the right approach! I wish I could just chuck everything! Really, I don't have that much stuff (30 small boxes), but this paperwork is still annoying.

I am using a company kind of like POD. It's called shipsmart. Thanks at least for confirming that I hadn't misunderstood anything. They really do want all this crazy stuff. And they want it by fax too. Who FAXES anything these days?

Well, to this experience I owe the knowledge that I own underwear manufactured in almost every developing nation on earth!!!!

C.

Timeline

Well, to this experience I owe the knowledge that I own underwear manufactured in almost every developing nation on earth!!!!

C.

lol!!! fantastic

Yea sorry you have to fill out all that crazy stuff, that really sucks. But in the end when its all done i'm sure you will be very happy when your finally at home with your things and the ones you love! Couple more hoops and your done with all this crazy stuff for a while!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

When I did mine with ABF, I just had boxes labelled and was like "box of books, value $100". Everything came across fine and they didnt ask for anything more detailed than that.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

When I did mine with ABF, I just had boxes labelled and was like "box of books, value $100". Everything came across fine and they didnt ask for anything more detailed than that.

Yeah, the books are easy. Plus most books are printed in the US.

Timeline

Thats crazy--country of origin!! When I crossed into Maine with my U-haul truck--the Customs guys barley even looked at my paperwork-- I had like 3 headings--item, srl # if applicable and approx cost--and he was more interested in playing his solitaire game on his computer,lol Never even looked in my Uhaul truck!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thats crazy--country of origin!! When I crossed into Maine with my U-haul truck--the Customs guys barley even looked at my paperwork-- I had like 3 headings--item, srl # if applicable and approx cost--and he was more interested in playing his solitaire game on his computer,lol Never even looked in my Uhaul truck!!

Thats because you crossed WITH your items, if you don't then you have a lot more ####### to fill out and do.

Timeline

Thats because you crossed WITH your items, if you don't then you have a lot more ####### to fill out and do.

Yes I realized that! Just stating its very much overkill--Not on the Ops part, but what is required

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yes I realized that! Just stating its very much overkill--Not on the Ops part, but what is required

I wonder if you skipped filling out the manufacture part for the clothing if they would go through and check every single garment to see the information =P it does seem excessive.

Timeline

I doubt anybody is going to look!! But why chance it, it its what they want, so be it!! Better to do in the comforts of ur house!

Timeline

I doubt anybody is going to look!! But why chance it, it its what they want, so be it!! Better to do in the comforts of ur house!

I'm partly just curious what the rationale for it even is.

C.

Timeline

Probably a former USCIS worker getting the last jab in at ya,lol They love their extra paperwork,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.