NidStyles

Question's on petition paperwork

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all.

Ok, I'm about to file for the K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I've been to the Philippines several times in the past four year's. The problem is that the last time I returned I had my passport stolen from my housing, and had to get a new one. I have the itinerary and a ticket stub from 2008, but not from 2010 the last time I was there to see her. I have letter's from her family and friend's stating our relationship and our intention's to marry, and photographs from March 2010 when i was last over there.

Is the lack of my travel proof going to be an issue for us filing? Unfortunate circumstances of course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all.

Ok, I'm about to file for the K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I've been to the Philippines several times in the past four year's. The problem is that the last time I returned I had my passport stolen from my housing, and had to get a new one. I have the itinerary and a ticket stub from 2008, but not from 2010 the last time I was there to see her. I have letter's from her family and friend's stating our relationship and our intention's to marry, and photographs from March 2010 when i was last over there.

Is the lack of my travel proof going to be an issue for us filing? Unfortunate circumstances of course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not really. As long as u have met each other within 2 yrs. and u have proof that u met(Photos together) is the most important proof although the travel records helps too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, photos together are not the most important proof and won't even be considered as evidence at all unless there are travel documents proving you were both in the same country at the same time.

You could try to print out the itinerary of the 2010 flight and include a note explaining that your passport was stolen (and include copies of the pages of your most recent passport) and hope for the best?

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Actually, photos together are not the most important proof and won't even be considered as evidence at all unless there are travel documents proving you were both in the same country at the same time.

You could try to print out the itinerary of the 2010 flight and include a note explaining that your passport was stolen (and include copies of the pages of your most recent passport) and hope for the best?

Really? Then why is it that the number1 requirment is photos of u together?I amybe wrong then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I amybe wrong then.
Sorry, but there's no "maybe" about it. Photographs are considered to be secondary evidence. Please read the official requirements accurately and interpret them literally.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Sorry, but there's no "maybe" about it. Photographs are considered to be secondary evidence. Please read the official requirements accurately and interpret them literally.

Read my asnwer to the OP. I said photographs are important since he said it's NOT important.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Read my asnwer to the OP. I said photographs are important since he said it's NOT important.

He didn't say photographs were not important. He said they were not the MOST important. There are two facts you must prove in order to be eligible to have a petition approved; you met face-to-face, and the meeting occurred within the past two years. A photograph cannot conclusively prove either of these. Anyone with rudimentary Photoshop skills can produce a picture of two people who appear to be together when they were, in fact, never actually together. It's also impossible to accurately date a digital photograph in a way that cannot easily be tampered with.

The most credible evidence comes from multiple unbiased third party sources. This is why travel documents are given so much weight. A passport containing a stamped visa and a boarding pass are considered good primary evidence. If you provide sufficient primary evidence that proves you actually made the trip then secondary evidence, like photographs, are much more likely to be accepted as proof you met each other while you were there.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Do you by any chance have a police report or something filed with the State Department. My bag got stolen last time I was in Lima with my fiancee except, it was the otherway around, I lost my boarding passes. Since I was carrying some of my fiancee's gear, I first went to the police department and had a statement drawn up of all that was stolen with BOTH of our names on it, and then to the Consulate where I reported it, again receiving a notice with both of our names. If you have that it could be a great asset. In the very least, a document from the US when you reported the theft of your passport.

-------------------------------

Met - January 2010
Engaged - 24 November 2010
Sent I-129F to Lewisville Lockbox - 7 December 2010
I-129F Received - 8 December 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Check Cashed - 10 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
NVC Received Petition - 11 May 2011
NVC Sent Petition to Lima - 13 May 2011
Packet 4 Received - 11 June 2011
Medical Exam - 30 June 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011
POE Ft Lauderdale - 24 July 2011

Legal Marriage - 5 August 2011

Filed AOS - 17 October 2011
I-485 Received - 18 October 2011
NOA Received - 31 October 2011
Check Cashed - 1 November 2011
Biometrics - 23 November 2011
NOA 2 Received - 4 January 2012
Interview Scheduled - 7 February 2012

Green Card Received 28 March 2012

Sent I-751 to VSC - 19 February 2014

I - 751 Received 21 February 2014

Biometrics 16 September 2013 - Were done already for I-90 for stolen Green Card.

Cash Checked 27 February 2014

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have none of that Primary evidence. I have the Itinerary records, and that's about it. I had reported my Passport stolen/lost, so I could call them and ask for a record of that.

I had been planning on visiting her before we started this process, but things here sort of got in the way, and my finances were stretched a bit thin. This whole thing is typical of Government procedures. I should have expected it to be a cluster-mess.

I'm thinking my leave record's would help as well. I was in the Army still the last time I visited her, so I will call up there and see if I can get them to fax me a copy of my leave paperwork as well. What do you guy's think?

Sidenote we have pictures, and I also have letters from her roommates and family stating the last time I was there, and about our intention's. I now know I should have started looking at this stuff sooner. LOL!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Do you say you don't have even an itinerary from the last trip? Or can you at least get the itinerary?

Were you awarded frequent flyer miles for the trip? They won't award those unless you physically board the plane. That record combined with the police report might help.

Did you stay in a hotel or anything like that? If so, they would probably be willing to make out a duplicate receipt. Although, I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to fake a hotel receipt, so they may not put too much weight on that.

Can you look to see if you perhaps have a customs form of some sort? I can't believe it, but I actually randomly found one from 2009 entering Vietnam in a folder. Then I remembered that I couldn't find it when exiting and they just let me go through.

I called an airline once to ask for copies of boarding passes (I just wanted to help someone add frequent flyer miles and you need numbers from the pass itself.) They told me they couldn't... BUT... if you call and ask really nice and talk to a supervisor and explain your whole situation, they might be able to do something. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have to maintain records of who actually got on a plane.

Oh, do you perhaps still have your baggage claim tags? If you're like me, you could just be lucky and it's still stuck on your suitcase.

Did you go to the doctor/dentist/clinic while over there? Don't laugh, I get my teeth cleaned for $10 when I go... and also had a retainer put in very inexpensively.

The one time it would have been nice to have been arrested for a minor infraction and it doesn't happen. :-)

Just brainstorming to think of as many ways as I can to prove you were in a country.

Does anyone know if they accept any kind of video? That would be much harder to fake, if you had some.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Really? Then why is it that the number1 requirment is photos of u together?I amybe wrong then.

Yes, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Photos together are important evidence of a bona fide relationship but are not worth a thing as evidence of WHEN you met in person.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Do you have anything from the 2010 trip like hotel receipts, etc? Is the airline willing to give you copies of anything?

I've seen a combination of an itinerary and luggage tickets with name for matching flight numbers be accepted in an RFE situation. The Petitioner also had a passport stolen, explained this and did the best they could. The shortfall is that luggage tickets had the month and day but not the year BUT they matched the dates on the itinerary that DID have the year.

Receipts in country work too. Banks are often better than airlines at producing proof of international purchase if a credit or debit card was used.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country:
Timeline

OP, did you use an ATM Card to withdraw money while in the Philippines? Even if you don't have the ATM Receipts you should be able to get bank records showing the transactions.

Timeline

^^ That's what I'm doing right now actually. Never used the card to buy anything there, because everything is done with cash there. Using your card is how you get robbed there.

Do you say you don't have even an itinerary from the last trip? Or can you at least get the itinerary?

Were you awarded frequent flyer miles for the trip? They won't award those unless you physically board the plane. That record combined with the police report might help.

Did you stay in a hotel or anything like that? If so, they would probably be willing to make out a duplicate receipt. Although, I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to fake a hotel receipt, so they may not put too much weight on that.

Can you look to see if you perhaps have a customs form of some sort? I can't believe it, but I actually randomly found one from 2009 entering Vietnam in a folder. Then I remembered that I couldn't find it when exiting and they just let me go through.

I called an airline once to ask for copies of boarding passes (I just wanted to help someone add frequent flyer miles and you need numbers from the pass itself.) They told me they couldn't... BUT... if you call and ask really nice and talk to a supervisor and explain your whole situation, they might be able to do something. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have to maintain records of who actually got on a plane.

Oh, do you perhaps still have your baggage claim tags? If you're like me, you could just be lucky and it's still stuck on your suitcase.

Did you go to the doctor/dentist/clinic while over there? Don't laugh, I get my teeth cleaned for $10 when I go... and also had a retainer put in very inexpensively.

The one time it would have been nice to have been arrested for a minor infraction and it doesn't happen. :-)

Just brainstorming to think of as many ways as I can to prove you were in a country.

Does anyone know if they accept any kind of video? That would be much harder to fake, if you had some.

I have the past two itineraries. One from mid '08, and the one from '10. I was deployed in '09 and I took my leave to the US to visit a friend that had been wounded. I stayed with her family that trip, as she was on break from school.

The Philippines doesn't have customs paperwork when you go through. They just look at your ticket and stamp it. The '10 trip I didn't even go through custom's. I got the stamp through from her uncle. He's a Mayor of one of the metro area cities.

Never been arrested. Have had Cop's try to shake me down before, that stopped once they found out I was Military, LOL! They tried saying I was walking illegally, and had to pay them 500 PhP or go to jail. I still laugh about that.

I haven't paid for dental work in 12 year's. Military covered all of that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.