ollywarren1

Am I eligible for any benefits?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

if you came here as refugee then all is free ,place to live food stamps free collage,can work, i hope you can fine some charity to help you church,or homeless shelter,shop aruond ask, so sorry you are having this problem,

Bob..you are one serious dude!!!...what do you do for fun??

Well, he is German after all. ;)

Sorry Bob, you know you rock, but I couldn't resist. :blush:

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Bob..you are one serious dude!!!...what do you do for fun??

Aehhh . . . ohhh . . . uhhh . . .this!

If I'd invest the time I spend on this board and on two other immigration forums on work and making money, I'd be able to replace my 1917 Ford Model T with a newer Ford, like a 1920s Ford Model A or perhaps buy a "like new" new pair of blue jeans from a thrift store once in a while.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well just maybe he or she had no idea that he or she would be struggling when they got here.......sometimes things happen in people's lives that they don't have control of... And not everyone is rolling in money. Maybe the sponsor lost their job, got sick, or had some other major setback of some sort. Who knows?? I just don't see how someone can hurl insults when they don't even know what's going on........but to each his own.

Gah, I'm sorry this topic just really irks me. Where is this man's sponsor? I signed an affidavit of support for my husband and work THREE ####### jobs to maintain my income on that affidavit, because we shouldn't HAVE to need benefits, or go to soup kitchens, or go to Catholic Charities. It costs THOUSANDS of dollars to bring an immigrant to the US. Obviously, someone had money for THAT for this man, where is that person now? Charities and soup kitchens are for low income people who have no other option and this man had one- to stay where he was.

To the OP- tell your sponsor to go deliver pizzas, work at Subway, shovel snow, do WHATEVER to support you as they are legally obligated to. Or go home.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why cant this person work? I was reading over the social security website and it does state that no EAD is required for a person to work as long as they have their social security number. But, employers can ask for that if they chose to.

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list non-immigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

NOTE: Although aliens listed under a class of admission in RM 10211.420 of this section are work authorized without specific DHS authorization, employers may still ask for an EAD before the alien can start working.

For those with an asterisk (*), the principal alien, spouse, and child all have the same classification code. In some instances, both the husband and wife are both principal aliens when the classification is E-1, E-2. When all family members have the same COA, ask the SSN applicant if he or she is the family member who is the principal alien, or spouse or the child of the principal alien.

NOTE: The visa of the principal alien generally shows the basis for the visa, e.g. “treaty trader” or an employer’s name, while the visa of a spouse or child may show an annotation that the person is a “dependent of the p.a.” (p.a. means principal alien).

For those with a double asterisk (**) (non-immigrant E-1, E-2, and L-2 classifications), the spouse is also authorized to work without specific DHS authorization. When the E-1, E-2, or L-2 spouse applies for an SSN card and does not submit an EAD as evidence of employment authorization, he or she must submit, in addition to evidence of immigration status, evidence of a marital relationship to the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien. The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document. The marriage document must indicate the marriage occurred, either: 1) prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant; or 2) prior to extension or change of status to an E-1, E-2 or L-2 non-immigrant.

a.

Class of Admission

Description

A-1*

Ambassador, public minister, career diplomat or consular officer (principal)

A-2*

Other foreign government official or employee (principal)

A-3*

Attendant, servant, or personal employee of principal A-1, or A-2 (principal)

E-1*

Treaty trader (principal)

E-1**

Spouse of principal E-1

When an EAD card is issued in these situations to an E-1 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-17” under Category.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he or she is spouse of the principal E-1 alien

E-2*

Treaty investor (principal)

E-2**

Spouse of principal E-2

When an EAD card is issued in these situations to an E-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-17” under Category.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he or she is spouse of the principal E-2 alien

E-3*

Treaty trader in a specialty occupation

F-1

Academic student - for on-campus employment, and DSO authorized curricular practical training. (See RM 10211.240 for the proof required)

F-3

Canadian or Mexican national academic student who commutes to school in the U.S. – for DSO authorized curricular practical training (see RM 10211.270

G-1*

Resident representative of recognized foreign member government to an international organization (principal)

G-2*

Other temporary representative of recognized foreign member government to an international organization (principal)

G-3*

Representative of unrecognized or nonmember foreign government to an international organization (principal)

G-4*

Representative of international organization (officer or employee) (principal)

G-5*

Attendant, servant, or personal employee of principal G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-4

H-1B

Worker in a specialty occupation

H-1B1

Temporary worker in a specialty occupation

H-1C

Registered nurse

H-2A

Agricultural worker

H-2B

Non-agrarian seasonal worker

H-2R

Returning H-2B worker (worker was previously admitted as H-2B, left the U.S. temporarily and is returning to the U.S.

H-3

Trainee

I*

Foreign information media representative (principal)

J-1

Exchange visitor (pursuant to an approved program) (See RM 10211.340) An exchange visitor whose DS-2019 shows the category as “international visitor,” “student,” or “student intern” in item 4 of the form must provide a letter from the program sponsor as evidence of authority to work. Otherwise, presume the J-1 is authorized to work as part of the exchange program.

K-1

Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen

L-1

Intra-company transferee

L-1A

Intra-company Transferee Managers and Executives

L-1B

Intra-company Transferee Specialized Knowledge

L-2**

Spouse of an intra-company transferee

When an EAD card is issued to an L-2 spouse, the I-766 shows “A-18” under Category.

If an EAD is not submitted, applicant must submit a marriage document as evidence that he or she is spouse of the L-1 alien

NATO-1 through 6*

NATO officer, representative, or personnel (principal)

NATO-7*

Attendant, servant, of personal employee of principal NATO-1 through 6 (principal)

O-1

Alien with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics

O-2

Alien accompanying O-1

P-1

Internationally recognized athlete or entertainer in an internationally recognized group

P-2

Artist or entertainer in an exchange program

P-3

Artist or entertainer in a culturally unique program

Q-1

Cultural exchange visitor

Q-2

Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Visitor

R-1

Religious worker with a nonprofit religious organization

TC

Professional business person, United States-Canada Free Trade Act (FTA)

TN

Professional business person from Canada or Mexico, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

TN-1

Professional business person from Canada, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

TN-2

Professional business person from Mexico, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Refugee

Alien admitted pursuant to section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)

The I-766 shows “A-3” under Category.

Asylee

Asylee under 208 of the INA

The I-766 shows “A-5” under Category.

Social Security Website

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why cant this person work? I was reading over the social security website and it does state that no EAD is required for a person to work as long as they have their social security number. But, employers can ask for that if they chose to.

(Extremely long cut 'n paste from SSA site snipped for brevity...)

The Social Security Administration is not the arbiter that determines whether someone is authorized to work in the US. That authority belongs to Department of Homeland Security. The guidelines on the SSA website are primarily for SSA employees who need to determine if someone is eligible to obtain a Social Security number, and whether the card should be specifically marked as being not valid for work. An employer is supposed to verify a potential employee's employment eligibility with the USCIS eVerify system.

Someone who arrives with a K1 visa is eligible to obtain a work authorization as long as their I-94 is still valid. This means that SSA will issue a Social Security number to them while the I-94 is still valid. The work authorization would expire when the I-94 expires. Given that it takes a couple of months to get an EAD, a K1 visa holder would be lucky if they managed to work a couple of weeks before their EAD expired. They don't become eligible again until they get an EAD as part of a green card application, or they get the green card.

The OP's specific problem is that they are waiting on their EAD and green card, and they're looking for something to supplement their income while they're waiting. If they happen to live in the 2/3 of the US which are currently blanketed with snow, my suggesting would be to grab a shovel and go door-to-door offering to help clear sidewalks. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well just maybe he or she had no idea that he or she would be struggling when they got here.......sometimes things happen in people's lives that they don't have control of... And not everyone is rolling in money. Maybe the sponsor lost their job, got sick, or had some other major setback of some sort. Who knows?? I just don't see how someone can hurl insults when they don't even know what's going on........but to each his own.

I'm sorry, how was I insulting? I got off a plane with my fiance, a 9 month old, and nowhere to live. I know about struggling, but within 2 weeks, I had an apartment and was working 3 jobs to support us. There are ways to make things work out without begging for handouts. I have to agree with Jim. Grab a shovel and dig. Mow a lawn or two. Live frugally. Don't ask for freebies.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Alright chill out some if you, was just a question. I've worked hard all my life, and am finding it difficult atcthe current time. Like I said I knew it was a long shot, and didn't think so, but isn't this a forum where you discuss things. Thanks to the people who helped. To the others, well just have a think that some may not be as fortunate as you.

This are the basic things you should know. So dont get mad at the ppl in forum for your ignorrance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Why cant this person work? I was reading over the social security website and it does state that no EAD is required for a person to work as long as they have their social security number. But, employers can ask for that if they chose to. [ snip ]

You may or may not know this, but yer stumbling along the edge of a very long debate held here at VJ. I won't post the links about it - suffice it to say it's really useful to use the search feature here.

The bottom line for 'working' is the eligibility requirements on form I-9. Get one of those, study it a bit; I invite you to reform your position after you've read it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a way to apply for a work permit while you're waitng for the AOS. I know it's not immediate... something like 3 months? but it's better than nothing.

Sorry missed this last page and see someone has already brought this up.

If you're looking for something off the books, do some babysitting.

Edited by VinhBao MyTam

Filed: Timeline

Okay, this thread has degraded into a slagfest. Please stop the abusive and judgemental comments or administrative action will be taken. Thank you.

There are ways to make things work out without begging for handouts. I have to agree with Jim. Grab a shovel and dig. Mow a lawn or two. Live frugally. Don't ask for freebies.

The issue is not that he's not motivated to find work. The issue is that current regulations do not allow him to work.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

France.

Name a country where you are eligible for monetary benefits when you have legally migrated under a family sponsor visa. None, unless you are migrating under a special program.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Other Timeline

I think the O.P. has long tuned out. If I were the O.P. I'm sure I would have . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

you went to the wrong Country should of trid UK they give anyone housing and money as long as you are not British

That's not true.

That would be that the US Government does not want the American people to pay for legal immigrants. They make us pay till the cows come home for the illegal ones. :angry:

John

How do you pay for illegal ones and please dont say emergency medicaid.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.