JohnSmith2007

Jackson Lee blasts 'demeaning' Pepsi Super Bowl ad

627 posts in this topic

if you stop and think about it, it takes a racist to find it offensive to begin with.

A society cannot heal until it starts to ignore skin color/stereotypes.

Those who would be offended by this commercial are no different than the 'offenders' themselves.

It's racist to find racism offensive? Your powers of reasoning are quite unique.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's racist to find racism offensive? Your powers of reasoning are quite unique.

To look at that commercial and find racism, one has to be fixated on race.

Had the "other women" on the bench been Black, nothing would be though, but simply her White skin got the "Race wheels" spinning in some minds fixated by it.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

To look at that commercial and find racism, one has to be fixated on race.

Had the "other women" on the bench been Black, nothing would be though, but simply her White skin got the "Race wheels" spinning in some minds fixated by it.

I am sure I can pretend there isn't an 'angry black woman' stereotype in order to find this commercial hilarious. Mind you, I never did find the Benny Hill type humour funny, perhaps because I'm a woman and portraying women as simpletons never struck me as comedy gold, but then this isn't meant to appeal to me, it's meant to appeal to jack the lad types ;)

Edited by Madame Cleo

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline

I commend KaiserD for trying to understand the issue from a black woman's perspective. Dismissing it instead and taking the stance, "I don't see race so you shouldn't either" strikes me as arrogant and simplistic.

I didn't say 'I don't see it you shouldn't either' but isn't that truly the goal of an evolved society?

I can actually think of quite a number of negative stereotypes that have been applied over the years to black women, not least that Michele Obama is butt ugly, based on the idea that the perfect woman is petite, androgynous and permanently 22.

I can actually think of quite a number of negative stereotypes that have been applied over the years to black women, not least that Michele Obama is butt ugly, based on the idea that the perfect woman is petite, androgynous and permanently 22.

Doesn't that apply to all women, not just black ones?

Doesn't that apply to all women, not just black ones?

Up to a point, but when you consider the average body type of people from different ethnic backgrounds, which groups are nearest to 'perfection' and which furthest away? It is objectionable to objectify women period, but there are much wider societal implications of this than simply assuming that this applies equally to all women, clearly it does not.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

and can walk in 6" stilettos down a cobblestone road.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You are entitled to whatever fetish you like and no one is asking that everyone find everyone equally attractive, least of all me. However problems arise when people are treated differently based on these expectations of perfection in areas of life where it has no application. For example, being the first lady does not require one to be physically attractive. Polite, charming and diplomatic, absolutely, but attractive, not at all. Defining any first lady first and foremost by her physical attributes or lack thereof is ridiculous.

and can walk in 6" stilettos down a cobblestone road.

I can do 4 inch ones....nightlife in Durham, UK came with its challenges, lol

Up to a point, but when you consider the average body type of people from different ethnic backgrounds, which groups are nearest to 'perfection' and which furthest away? It is objectionable to objectify women period, but there are much wider societal implications of this than simply assuming that this applies equally to all women, clearly it does not.

I'm not sure I agree tbh...it feels to me like you're saying black women as viewed by some as being further away from 'perfection'.

It doesn't really go with the notion that lighter skin women go tanning, get lip injections, azz implants, etc. I think it's all relative, and in the eye of the beholder.

You are entitled to whatever fetish you like and no one is asking that everyone find everyone equally attractive, least of all me. However problems arise when people are treated differently based on these expectations of perfection in areas of life where it has no application. For example, being the first lady does not require one to be physically attractive. Polite, charming and diplomatic, absolutely, but attractive, not at all. Defining any first lady first and foremost by her physical attributes or lack thereof is ridiculous.

Barbara Bush was no where near what one would say 'attractive' in the magazine-hollywood sense.

:lol: sure. people thinking she is 'butt ugly' has nothing to do w/ the woman looking like a klingon.

Edited by SMOKE
7yqZWFL.jpg

I'm not sure I agree tbh...it feels to me like you're saying black women as viewed by some as being further away from 'perfection'.

It doesn't really go with the notion that lighter skin women go tanning, get lip injections, azz implants, etc. I think it's all relative, and in the eye of the beholder.

Of course, all women are equal. Women never try to conform to any standards, the fashion industry doesn't exist and there are fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Barbara Bush was no where near what one would say 'attractive' in the magazine-hollywood sense.

Indeed. How often was she criticized for her looks?

:lol: sure. people thinking she is 'butt ugly' has nothing to do w/ the woman looking like a klingon.

You personally do not have to find her attractive, you don't have to find any women attractive at all, but to define Michele as ugly for whatever reason is pitiful. Her job is not to be attractive so really, your personal opinion of her looks is redundant.