JohnSmith2007

Jackson Lee blasts 'demeaning' Pepsi Super Bowl ad

627 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wrong. All political correctness is trying to do is go against human nature. It's not about having 'thick skin.'

Racism/bigotry are an intricate part of human nature. One cannot be disgusted with one being a bigot without being a bigot oneself.

It's not that intricate (at all) Paul. Don't embarrass yourself by pretending it is.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's not that intricate (at all) Paul. Don't embarrass yourself by pretending it is.

You're embarassing yourself by trying to say it's not when you don't have the slighest ounce of a clue on why people are the way they are.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

You're not convincing me.

nor could I. People like you are so stuck on the idea that bigots are just bigots and can't fathom the idea that there's good reason why they are the way they are and cannot accept it for being 'natural' in any way. There's a plethora of reasons why people feel the way they do about certain things.

If it were as simple as you think it is, then we wouldn't have gay black people out there that hate jews, etc..

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Wrong. All political correctness is trying to do is go against human nature. It's not about having 'thick skin.'

Racism/bigotry are an intricate part of human nature. One cannot be disgusted with one being a bigot without being a bigot oneself.

I'm afraid claims like this require some degree of support.

But even if we were to momentarily entertain your theory, what exactly is it that you're proposing? Isn't part of what makes us human our ability to rationalise and dominate our animalistic impulses?

To a take an example rather better supported by evolutionary psychology: we are hard-wired for jealousy. Men especially, given the uncertainty of paternity. And sexual jealousy is often the basic motivation for a lot of domestic violence. Are attempts to overcome jealousy therefore worthy of suspicion or scorn?

Edited by faust-yusov

Timeline

If you want to go ahead and justify racism and bigotry i've got 12 foot of rope to lend you.

see, you never fail to give the response that's expected. Good work. :thumbs:

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

I'm still totally confused. I feel retarded. I seriously don't understand how this is racist.

This ad is offensive because it plays on a specific stereotype of some black men that prefer white women over black women. The idea being that they are trying to obtain a better status (as in white women look classier on your arm) as if to say that black women aren't good enough and are the bottom of the barrel because they're seen as loud and obnoxious.

This in turn is considered why it is particularly painful to be dropped for a white woman, the insinuation is that they're not good enough. It is seen as a kind of betrayal.

I didn't even realize that this line of thought even existed until I read an article in Essence magazine called "Black Men and White Women and Why It Still Hurts", I did a lot of research after this to try and understand where people were comming from (because as a mixed race marriage, I was obviously offended!). It would sure explain some of the looks I got while I was living here lol, but I noticed even before all this that when I had a child people treated me much more friendlier. I wonder if perhaps people who saw us together as a family figured that we just loved each other who for we were.

Not important, but just some thoughts on the matter.

On one hand, I'm tired of contrived bull****. We really should be better than this and accept each other for who we are as individuals, on the other hand I could feel this way if I had been hurt like that, but honestly if there are black men who seriously think that white women are somehow better, black women are better off single than with people like that.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Timeline

see, you never fail to give the response that's expected. Good work. :thumbs:

You think that offering a completely outlandish opinion is somehow clever. It's not.

So there are "good reasons" for racism are there? That's a gem - I'll put it right up there with your disappointment that more people aren't killed in wars, that more kids need to be beaten with belts and that regulation of the fast food industry is akin to herding people into the gas chambers.

I don't think there's one opinion that you offer that isn't hysterical hyperbole, or something said for effect so that you can appear "different"...

Filed: Timeline

This ad is offensive because it plays on a specific stereotype of some black men that prefer white women over black women. The idea being that they are trying to obtain a better status (as in white women look classier on your arm) as if to say that black women aren't good enough and are the bottom of the barrel because they're seen as loud and obnoxious.

This in turn is considered why it is particularly painful to be dropped for a white woman, the insinuation is that they're not good enough. It is seen as a kind of betrayal.

That's the thing though; what you're inferring requires you to see them for their different races, and not just 3 people.

That's a helluva lot of inference for a 30 second ad.

Maybe Pepsi is seeing them simply as two women and a man. Maybe those who are crying how it's racially offensive are the ones who are seeing these people as merely 'blacks and whites'.

I don't wanna defend Pepsi cos their product sux, and I think the advert was a funny fail, but still...it certainly is interesting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's the thing though; what you're inferring requires you to see them for their different races, and not just 3 people.

I commend KaiserD for trying to understand the issue from a black woman's perspective. Dismissing it instead and taking the stance, "I don't see race so you shouldn't either" strikes me as arrogant and simplistic.

KaiserD did indeed strike on yet another stereotype which the ad feeds into. Amazing how many potentially offensive nuances Pepsi managed to pack in a single tasteless advertisement.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's a helluva lot of inference for a 30 second ad.

Maybe Pepsi is seeing them simply as two women and a man. Maybe those who are crying how it's racially offensive are the ones who are seeing these people as merely 'blacks and whites'.

I don't wanna defend Pepsi cos their product sux, and I think the advert was a funny fail, but still...it certainly is interesting.

First impressions are very powerful

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

You think that offering a completely outlandish opinion is somehow clever. It's not.

So there are "good reasons" for racism are there? That's a gem - I'll put it right up there with your disappointment that more people aren't killed in wars, that more kids need to be beaten with belts and that regulation of the fast food industry is akin to herding people into the gas chambers.

I don't think there's one opinion that you offer that isn't hysterical hyperbole, or something said for effect so that you can appear "different"...

That's fine. You feel the way you do because you do. There's plenty of people out there like you who cannot fathom the idea that their bretren are a certain way and don't dare want to entertain the idea that certain things actually help a society that you may disagree with. Anyone who doesn't fit your criteria of a perfect member of society is automatically outcast as an evil person or a criminal. Which if fine as I said. Living in naivety is part of what makes some of us human as well. It's a way to cope with the world and deal with things that are happening before us. The only time when this type of thinking has a problem is when it tries to control other people and take away liberty based on the ideas that you have as that perfect citizen. Otherwise you are entitled to your opinion.

KaiserD did indeed strike on yet another stereotype which the ad feeds into. Amazing how many potentially offensive nuances Pepsi managed to pack in a single tasteless advertisement.

if you stop and think about it, it takes a racist to find it offensive to begin with.

A society cannot heal until it starts to ignore skin color/stereotypes.

Those who would be offended by this commercial are no different than the 'offenders' themselves.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

That's fine. You feel the way you do because you do. There's plenty of people out there like you who cannot fathom the idea that their bretren are a certain way and don't dare want to entertain the idea that certain things actually help a society that you may disagree with. Anyone who doesn't fit your criteria of a perfect member of society is automatically outcast as an evil person or a criminal. Which if fine as I said. Living in naivety is part of what makes some of us human as well. It's a way to cope with the world and deal with things that are happening before us. The only time when this type of thinking has a problem is when it tries to control other people and take away liberty based on the ideas that you have as that perfect citizen. Otherwise you are entitled to your opinion.

This is yet another example of self delusion.