JohnSmith2007

Jackson Lee blasts 'demeaning' Pepsi Super Bowl ad

627 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ah, so the word "they" is now a dirty word? Love the good speak, bad speak censorship you have going on there. Any other words I can't use? How about "is" and "there"? Is that still PC?

Perhaps you ought to re-read the text you quoted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Facetious grammar aside, you'd rather say "I have a friend and he is a black"? "I have a friend, he is a brown"?

This made me LOL.

FWIW when watching the ad, the racial issue didn't occur to me with regards to the violence, but I did notice that the black man was checking out a white woman and it made me consider how much more pissed the gf was that the girl was white than if she had been black.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Given the intricate grammatical semiotics at the root of this discussion, I would suggest that the possession of rudimentary comprehensive skills ought be a basic requirement for participation.

Naturally I do not think the sentence "he is black" is offensive or harmful, nor did I ever suggest it was.

You suggested telling people what to say and being sure it is politically correct. I think that is offensive AND harmful. Your crippled attempts at British adjectivitis notwithstanding.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

the main thing i get outta this is things are becoming so pc that people are gonna be afraid to talk to anyone due to worrying about offending them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

You suggested telling people what to say and being sure it is politically correct. I think that is offensive AND harmful. Your crippled attempts at British adjectivitis notwithstanding.

Wherever did I suggest "telling people what to say"? You are toeing the waters of JohnSmith hysteria here, crying "censorship" without properly understanding what is being said.

Political correctness is not offensive or sanctimonious, nor is a polite request that someone desist from anachronistic terminology. It casts no aspersions; it is simply an effort to work towards a more egalitarian and inclusive language.

Certainly I do not think you are a racist. Nor do I think that like Danno you revel in the base sexual frisson of bigotry cloaked in taboo grammar. In fact, you are a little difficult to pin down on this precise issue. You would not say whether or not you would refer to your friend as "a black". I suspect from your subsequent quote, "he is black", you at least find the phrasing awkward.

Edited by faust-yusov

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

the main thing i get outta this is things are becoming so pc that people are gonna be afraid to talk to anyone due to worrying about offending them.

Yep, its black and white/chocolate and vanilla/plain as day that this is stupid...contrived by people with agendas...<yawn>...

Edited by BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Timeline

It's politically incorrect, you know it's politically incorrect, so stop saying it just to give yourself a hard on.

Say "black people".

Here is where you told people what to say. I will say what I want, you will deal with it however you wish.

Wherever did I suggest "telling people what to say"? You are toeing the waters of JohnSmith hysteria here, crying "censorship" without properly understanding what is being said.

Political correctness is not offensive or sanctimonious, nor is a polite request that someone desist from anachronistic terminology. It casts no aspersions; it is simply an effort to work towards a more egalitarian and inclusive language.

Certainly I do not think you are a racist. Nor do I think that like Danno you revel in the base sexual frisson of bigotry cloaked in taboo grammar. In fact, you are a little difficult to pin down on this precise issue. You would not say whether or not you would refer to your friend as "a black". I suspect from your subsequent quote, "he is black", you at least find the phrasing awkward.

see above

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Here is where you told people what to say.

This is not what you accused me of. Please tell me where I "[suggested] telling people what to say".

The difference is quite crucial. One suggests a particular person amend his vocabulary. The other suggests some sort of totalitarian regime. Confusion between the two is, I suspect, at the root of your truculence on the topic.

I will say what I want, you will deal with it however you wish.

I've nothing to "deal" with - you've not actually said anything politically incorrect nor even suggested you ever would, despite being asked directly on the matter twice now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I certainly mean no disrespect whatsoever when I use "Black" rather than African american but I use Black for several reasons, the greatest being, it's so much shorter to type.

Also the point could be made that using "african American" suggests that all blacks we see are a). citizens and b) self identifying with Africa rather than Jamaica trinidad or some other location.

Another rule I kinda go by is... if the "group" is not close to consensus over what are acceptable terms (this goes for many (groups) than I feel free to uses -common use terms.

On the bright side of all this is the fact that people are so mindful to show respect that we are now quibbling over "Colored people" BAD ..... "people of color" GOOD.

-Ahhh, Political Correctness... Thy name is Deceit.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

Perhaps you ought to re-read the text you quoted.

Perhaps you ought to get over the politically correct BS. I hate PC ideas. I say what I think and if you don't like it that is your problem. Grow a thicker skin. Screw political correctness.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

so what you're asking for is a brainwashed/non-human society?

The mere suggestions/expectations of a egalitarian society is the backbone of totalitarianism. You create an idea that eventually forms into much more than that as it becomes increasingly unacceptable to act in a particular way. In hoping/wanting equality, the only way to achieve such a thing is through dictatorship/harsh laws and that's not a country i would dare want to live in.

We are not equal. We will all never be equal. The sooner people realize that, the better off we'll be. This idea to strive for a perfect equal nation is a fantasy. It's living outside of the human aspect of things.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

so what you're asking for is a brainwashed/non-human society?

The mere suggestions/expectations of a egalitarian society is the backbone of totalitarianism. You create an idea that eventually forms into much more than that as it becomes increasingly unacceptable to act in a particular way. In hoping/wanting equality, the only way to achieve such a thing is through dictatorship/harsh laws and that's not a country i would dare want to live in.

We are not equal. We will all never be equal. The sooner people realize that, the better off we'll be. This idea to strive for a perfect equal nation is a fantasy. It's living outside of the human aspect of things.

What I am saying is the black guy in this ad is being abused by his black American wife. He needs to stop looking at other American women, even white chicks (because they are all equal) and get himself an MOB who will treat him right and he will never look at another white/black-American jogger chick again.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Perhaps you ought to get over the politically correct BS. I hate PC ideas. I say what I think and if you don't like it that is your problem. Grow a thicker skin. Screw political correctness.

Weren't we recently having an entirely analagous discussion about blasphemy, in which you took exactly the opposite view? Perhaps recollections of your distaste for "infinite regress" theory might stir a little more sympathy for the violent properties of words?

Political correctness isn't really trying to muzzle you, or persecute you, or suggest some degree of inherent prejudice. I've paraphrased Stewart Lee enough in this discussion, so I'll just quote his definition: "It's an (often clumsy) negotiation towards a kind of formally inclusive language."

To that extent it is only a struggle to iron out the kinks in a society only recently freed of inequity; to target memes or norms that persist only as relics of a bygone (im)morality. The n-word is one casualty of political correctness I doubt you'd consider "BS". My grandmother still uses the word "coloreds". I will tell her that it's not really appropriate, but do I think it's racist? Of course not. She just grew up in a culture where people who didn't have white skin were institutionally marginalised, and that pervaded the vocabulary of society.

Egalitarian legislation is an overnight process. Social norms are not. You may want to "screw" political correctness, but all political correctness is trying to do is rid us of an historically entrenched lexicon of bigotry. And if so humble a proposition as that riles you to the extent evidenced above, then I would suggest that it is you that needs to grow the thicker skin.

Edited by faust-yusov

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Weren't we recently having an entirely analagous discussion about blasphemy, in which you took exactly the opposite view? Perhaps recollections of your distaste for "infinite regress" theory might stir a little more sympathy for the violent properties of words?

Political correctness isn't really trying to muzzle you, or persecute you, or suggest some degree of inherent prejudice. I've paraphrased Stewart Lee enough in this discussion, so I'll just quote his definition: "It's an (often clumsy) negotiation towards a kind of formally inclusive language."

To that extent it is only a struggle to iron out the kinks in a society only recently freed of inequity; to target memes or norms that persist only as relics of a bygone (im)morality. The n-word is one casualty of political correctness I doubt you'd consider "BS". My grandmother still uses the word "coloreds". I will tell her that it's not really appropriate, but do I think it's racist? Of course not. She just grew up in a culture where people who didn't have white skin were institutionally marginalised, and that pervaded the vocabulary of society.

Egalitarian legislation is an overnight process. Social norms are not. You may want to "screw" political correctness, but all political correctness is trying to do is rid us of an historically entrenched lexicon of bigotry. And if so humble a proposition as that riles you to the extent evidenced above, then I would suggest that it is you that needs to grow the thicker skin.

Wrong. All political correctness is trying to do is go against human nature. It's not about having 'thick skin.'

Racism/bigotry are an intricate part of human nature. One cannot be disgusted with one being a bigot without being a bigot oneself.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

Wow, you really are into the PC way of thinking arn't you? Political correctness is just a way of preventing "hurt feeling". BFD. I am not prejudice, I have never been accused of prejudice but at the same time I am not going to worry if a term isn't the latest PC approved. The N word didn't go away because it wasn't PC, it went away because it was a racist term that needed to go away. But if you try to scrub our lexicon of anything that might cause offence then we will end up with a very dull language. Why you ask? Because unlike a racist word like the N word the PC terms change daily. I refuse to worry if a word is on todays list of "non-pc" terms. I recall the book 1984 where there is good speak and bad speak. What you are suggesting is right down that road. Forgive me but I will not go there. If you don't like a word I use then who cares what you think, I am going to use it anyway.