ual777

Should the TSA be allowed to profile?

Should the TSA be allowed to profile at the airport?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the TSA be allowed to profile?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.

52 posts in this topic

...As I said, I don't too much about what is involved as regards "profiling", but clearly there is the potential for outright discrimination - which is why I'm not convinced that it should be anything more than a temporary measure.

So what event, in your opinion, should mark the end of this temporary profiling?

I don't know, which is also why I questioned what happens when the perceived threat is over.

Problem is, it's not just a 'perceived' threat. It's very real. So let's say the 'real' threat is ended... people's perceptions about this.. those who have lived through it... will never change. New generations of people who have no direct experience with this threat will be necessary if there's even any hope for possibility of changing this perception. And even then, I'm not sure it ever will go away.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
the terrors are told from birth their mission in life. these people can hold an idea in their heads forever!!!! no matter how much they blend they still have the mission in their minds. thats how its work. plus the added bonus of heaven and a good life for their family.

CNN is doing a special on ben laddin....

Which suggests of course that no method of security is 100% proof against this kind of thing.

the terrors are told from birth their mission in life. these people can hold an idea in their heads forever!!!! no matter how much they blend they still have the mission in their minds. thats how its work. plus the added bonus of heaven and a good life for their family.

Which suggests of course that no method of security is 100% proof against this kind of thing.

And that profiling will NOT be temporary. We live in a new world now.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline
Problem is, it's not just a 'perceived' threat. It's very real. So let's say the 'real' threat is ended... people's perceptions about this.. those who have lived through it... will never change. New generations of people who have no direct experience with this threat will be necessary if there's even any hope for possibility of changing this perception. And even then, I'm not sure it ever will go away.

Hence the potential for racist discrimination.

And that profiling will NOT be temporary. We live in a new world now.

Probably true. Although its not a 'new world' - its the same one. We're just more aware of a threat that has existed for decades.

Edited by erekose

Filed: Timeline

you are right!

thats why there must be screening tools enhanced daily. Old terror tactics from the past are

now days being revised- them terrors. the real solution- would be to all fly butt naked..

thats not realistic is it.....

shon.gif

Probably true. Although its not a 'new world' - its the same one. We're just more aware of a threat that has existed for decades.

Semantics. New playing field. New rules.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline

you are right!

thats why there must be screening tools enhanced daily. Old terror tactics from the past are

now days being revised- them terrors. the real solution- would be to all fly butt naked..

thats not realistic is it.....

True, and as was mentioned earlier, because of the fact that it's not just Arabs blowing up planes and buildings it is in fact racist to profile people.

Not to mention the divisive nature of racial profiling is just what terrorists - To drive a wedge further between East & West and into the heart of our own societies.

Not really. Many countries (my own included) have dealt with the shadow of terrorism over very many years. The US is pretty much the only major western nation not to have experienced some sort of terrorist attack on their soil, and while 9/11 alerted people globally to a renewed and more dangerous threat, it was really only a wake-up call to people in the US.

Filed: Timeline

Not really. Many countries (my own included) have dealt with the shadow of terrorism over very many years. The US is pretty much the only major western nation not to have experienced some sort of terrorist attack on their soil, and while 9/11 alerted people globally to a renewed and more dangerous threat, it was really only a wake-up call to people in the US.

your right..

we had the water to protect us.. but, 911 was a wake up call for sure.

when mom called told me about the planes hi jacked. I thought " what in the world mom

talking about!" there was an attack on the wolrd trade center in the 1990s. the threat

was real then - why it was not taken more seriously I will never know.

I saw a movied called. - under siege - something. it was similar to 911.

its eeeerie..

shon.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
1) Yes a country has the right to defend itself.

2) Currently the main threat seems to be coming from "Muslim" radicals.

So profiling may be an adequate temporary measure.... But what happens when the threat is over?

Profiling isn't used correctly - we cannot predict behavior based on physical characteristics - even FBI profilers will attest to that. What's more reliable is profiling a type of behavior. But given that these security employees probably lack any real training in criminal behavior, I'd say random profiling is probably as accurate as any other method, except they would have to apply common sense - if it's an 80 old woman that randomly is selected - then randomly select again. So, keep it random because there's no way a terrorist who wants to board a plane can prepare for that.

Timeline

1) Yes a country has the right to defend itself.

2) Currently the main threat seems to be coming from "Muslim" radicals.

So profiling may be an adequate temporary measure.... But what happens when the threat is over?

Profiling isn't used correctly - we cannot predict behavior based on physical characteristics - even FBI profilers will attest to that. What's more reliable is profiling a type of behavior. But given that these security employees probably lack any real training in criminal behavior, I'd say random profiling is probably as accurate as any other method, except they would have to apply common sense - if it's an 80 old woman that randomly is selected - then randomly select again. So, keep it random because there's no way a terrorist who wants to board a plane can prepare for that.

Case in point - one of the folks involved in the foiled airline plot the other week was a caucasian guy.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Case in point - one of the folks involved in the foiled airline plot the other week was a caucasian guy.

Hell.. I'd have yanked Karr outa line and given him an extra look over too... that dude just looks wrong

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hell.. I'd have yanked Karr outa line and given him an extra look over too... that dude just looks wrong

I've been trying to get that guy's image out of my mind - no thanks to the mainstream media for turning him into a celebrity....f##king chopf##ks!

They should just have done and make everyone travel naked. The airlines could supply hospital gowns and paper slippers ;)

Better include body cavity searches while you're at it. Someone might have a bottle of shampoo in a 'private place'.

:(

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married