7. Jowayriya/Juwairiyya bint Harith

8. Omm Habiba

9. Safiya/Safiyya bint Huyai/Huyayy bint Akhtab

10. Maymuna/Maimuna of Hareth

11. Fatima/Fatema/Fatimah

12. Hend/Hind

13. Asma of Saba

14. Zaynab of Khozayma

15. Habla?The information on this marriage is unclear.

16. Asma of Noman / bint al-Nu’man

Hopefully that cleared up your question. Allah knows best.

now be so kind as to tell everyone which one was 6 when he married her and she was 9 when the marriage was consumated ;)

also, didn't he kill a woman's husband and then marry the wife?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Let's see if I can cover all of this.

Marriage in Islam is a covenent with God and society, but it is a civil contract and not a holy union. That is a Christian concept.

Forced conversion has been practiced (just recently on the captive Fox journalists in Gaza), but what good is it? Islam requires believers.

The Prophet was allowed more wives than other men because he was a leader and an example of breaking stereotypes and traditions. After 25 years of monogamy with an older, wealthy women to whom he was devoted, he married other women, mostly for political purposes.

I posted this on another thread, but it is relevent here, too:

Islam does not grant a Muslim man the RIGHT to have more than one wife just because he wants more than one. Because that is the fact, a wife has every right to prohibit taking what would amount to a mistress in the west and in several Muslim countries, btw. I have that stipulation in my contract, and it doesn't even include that I could divorce him for it, because it's illegal in the US and in Morocco he has to have my permission, which he won't get.

Since it is not a man's right nor a requirement, there's not a darn thing haram about putting a restriction on it in the nikah. If he agrees to it, it would be haram for him to break his word. But if he is a righteous man, he will follow the Prophet's Sunnah in his role as a husband, giving his wife no worries about other women. During a time when it was common for men to have dozens of wives, inherit women, suspend wives in limbo so that no one else could have them even if their husband didn't want them, our Nabi, a man of exceptional character, was married to an older widow for 25 years, nearly half his life. After she died, he married several widows and divorcees and only one virgin that he was instructed to marry in a dream. He married women who had no affiliation, sick women, working women, and strong women who proposed to him. These were not babes that he met and became enamored with, like so many modern men are apt to do before they claim their "right" to more than one wife.

The allowance for multiple marriage was sent after the Battle of Badr to accomplish two ends:

1. To devise a means of social and economic protection for women who were left with no male guardian after battles. The Surah Al-Nisa, repeatedly calls for justice, fairness and dignity for these women, that they are no taken advantage of. There is no dignity for the women, nor for the man, if the man is allowed to treat women as collectibles.

2. To limit the number of women allowed for marriage to one man under the conditions set forth.

There is only one ayah granting mutiple marriage, but there are many describing marriage as a state of harmony, love and respect between husband and wife. In the opening ayah of Al-Nisa, Allah says:

O mankind! Reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered like seeds countless men and women. Reverence God, through whom you demand your mutual rights, and reverence the wombs That bore you: For God ever watches over you.

A similar sentiment is repeated here:

2:187 Permitted to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They are your garments and ye are their garments.

7:189 It is He Who created you from a single person, and made his mate of like nature, in order that he might dwell with her (in love).

16:72 And God has made for you mates (and companions) of your own nature, and made for you, out of them, sons and daughters and grandchildren, and provided for you sustenance of the best: will they then believe in vain things, and be ungrateful for God's favours?-

No God that instructs that men and women are of like nature and that the womb that bore you is to be revered intends to allow men to treat their like mate with such disrespect as claimed by those who believe that men are allowed, simply out of desire, to marry women as they may. Culture may allow this, and that is where the claim may arise, but Islam does not. It advises self-restraint:

4:129-130 Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women, even if it is your ardent desire: But turn not away (from a woman) altogether, so as to leave her (as it were) hanging (in the air). If ye come to a friendly understanding, and practise self-restraint, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

It advises righteousness in the face of desire. Allah says:

3:14 Fair in the eyes of men is the love of things they covet: Women and sons; Heaped-up hoards of gold and silver; horses branded (for blood and excellence); and (wealth of) cattle and well-tilled land. Such are the possessions of this world's life ; but in nearness to God is the best of the goals (To return to).

So, the Quran and the Sunnah being the components of sharia, the sharia instructs:

Harmony, respect, dignity, and love between husband and wife. These are not achieved by a man trolling for new women to entertain for multiple marriage just because he wants to.

Justice and fairness, unavailable when one partner is not doing 100% of his duty as a husband to please his wife.

Protection for all parties, which is difficult to have when a husband has a wife and a mistress.

Monogamy is the desired state, one demonstrated by the Prophet and the passion he displayed for his favorite wife, and polygyny a limited option involving women in need of protection.

Do not fear the addition of such a provision denying multiple marriage to your husband. Insist on it, enforce it, and rely on it, for if he agrees and he is a man whose word is his bond, he will not dishonor you by treating women as toys, lusting after others, and expecting you to give up your elevated status to his dreams of a haram. We all pray for a man of exceptional character, which each Muslim man should aspire to. Help your husband to be that man; God intends for you to have what He has granted to you in love and harmony.

Timeline

now be so kind as to tell everyone which one was 6 when he married her and she was 9 when the marriage was consumated

There is plenty of debate about that. They weren't big on birth certificates back then. BTW, there are lots of Biblical scholars who believe that Mary was 12 when Jesus was born.

No, that was King David in the Bible.

Edited by szsz

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

1. Khadija/Khadijah bint Khuwailid/Khywaylid - died first

2. Sawda/Sauda bint Zam'a

3. 'Aisha/Aesha/'A'ishah

4. Omm/'Umm Salama/Salamah

5. Hafsa/Hafsah

6. Zaynab/Zainab of Jahsh

7. Jowayriya/Juwairiyya bint Harith

8. Omm Habiba

9. Safiya/Safiyya bint Huyai/Huyayy bint Akhtab

10. Maymuna/Maimuna of Hareth

11. Fatima/Fatema/Fatimah

12. Hend/Hind

13. Asma of Saba

14. Zaynab of Khozayma

15. Habla?The information on this marriage is unclear.

16. Asma of Noman / bint al-Nu'man

Hopefully that cleared up your question. Allah knows best.

now be so kind as to tell everyone which one was 6 when he married her and she was 9 when the marriage was consumated ;)

HOLD UP Charles and Nessa

The Pr.Muhammed was appreoached by Aisha's parents when she was young, yes...as per the readitions of the time...to arrnage marriages for daughters from a young age, BUT the marriage was not commsummated until she was mature...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The Pr.Muhammed was appreoached by Aisha's parents when she was young, yes...as per the readitions of the time...to arrnage marriages for daughters from a young age, BUT the marriage was not commsummated until she was mature...

define mature. are we talking vp mature or our modern age mature? i've read she was 9.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

The Prophet wasn't the first man she was promised to. He was actually the second. The first was a Christian man named Jubair Ibn al Mut'am inb 'Adi, the son of a Muslim supporter. It was common for children, male and female, Muslim and non-Muslim, to have arranged marriages set up for them at a very early age. Still is in some places.

I knew I forgot something, the Arabic thing. Islam - submission to God - has existed since the beginning of man. The Prophets before Muhammad, of which there are many, prayed and delievered the Message in many languages, so to say that it is not clear or concise in any language other than Arabic is incorrect. Arabic is the baby language of Islam; Hebrew, Aramaic, and other eariler languages transmitted the faith before it. All languages belong to God and there is nothing He cannot express in any of them.

Edited by szsz

Timeline

define mature. are we talking vp mature or our modern age mature? i've read she was 9.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline
The Prophet wasn't the first man she was promised to. He was actually the second. The first was a Christian man named Jubair Ibn al Mut'am inb 'Adi, the son of a Muslim supporter. It was common for children, male and female, Muslim and non-Muslim, to have arranged marriages set up for them at a very early age. Still is in some places.

I knew I forgot something, the Arabic thing. Islam - submission to God - has existed since the beginning of man. The Prophets before Muhammad, of which there are many, prayed and delievered the Message in many languages, so to say that it is not clear or concise in any language other than Arabic is incorrect. Arabic is the baby language of Islam; Hebrew, Aramaic, and other eariler languages transmitted the faith before it. All languages belong to God and there is nothing He cannot express in any of them.

Reminds me of the Tower of Babel story where there was only one language at the time so the story goes..

Anyways I am glad to see you posting always enjoyed your posts and iinformation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

if mohammad was a prophet in other words a leader....how can u lead when u cant even follow the rules urself? if god said 4 wives how can u have more then that? why should anyone follow his lead when he is not even following gods rules.

i have never in my life heard mary was only 12 when she had jesus. where did u read this?

Timeline
if mohammad was a prophet in other words a leader....how can u lead when u cant even follow the rules urself? if god said 4 wives how can u have more then that? why should anyone follow his lead when he is not even following gods rules.

i have never in my life heard mary was only 12 when she had jesus. where did u read this?

I am not sure how old Mary was...but I will look into this...but it clearly the tradition of the times, to marry very young... even in the Middle Ages women married as young as 12...so....where is the problem here?

Aisha was married, but did not commsumate the marriage until she was mature... OK?

Also I have read several articles talking about the Pr. Muhammed not having more then 4 wives at one time, if this is true I am not sure. I am not a scholar or historian, so... buuut this topic basically goes back to...If you believe it, you will...of you donnot want to believe it, you won't...Islam I mean.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am not sure how old Mary was...but I will look into this...but it clearly the tradition of the times, to marry very young... even in the Middle Ages women married as young as 12...so....where is the problem here?

Aisha was married, but did not commsumate the marriage until she was mature... OK?

Also I have read several articles talking about the Pr. Muhammed not having more then 4 wives at one time, if this is true I am not sure. I am not a scholar or historian, so... buuut this topic basically goes back to...If you believe it, you will...of you donnot want to believe it, you won't...Islam I mean.

Just out of curiousity, when you search for facts regarding Christianity where do you get them?

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Ok I have a question. Please don't get mad I am just curious about some things in Islam that I have read about and heard about so here is my question:

The Quran states that a man can only marry 4 women (correct me if I'm wrong).

The Prophet Muhammed is sinless, yes?

Now I have read and heard that Muhammed had 12 wives.

So my question is: Is Muhammed above the law he gave in the Quran and isn't the definition of sin violating the law of God?

Does that make sense?

I'm just curious because from what I know and have heard which is not much I thought that men could only have 4 wives so I was curious about Muhammed.

Thanks!

Sarah

thats a good question. there is no such thing as being SINLESS. we all have fallen short of God. Muhammed was a man. To understand this concept read the bible and it talks about sin and man. Any man who claims to be perfect and sinless is a deceiver. Dont look to muhammed and read abut Jesus Christ. He was never married and was pure. Why? because he wasnt just a man. He wasnt just a prophet. He was the son of God. Jesus never married because he knew from when he was a little boy what his purpose was. That purpose was that he would die on the cross for our sins so that we can be forgiven and be cleansed and receive the holy spirit. Amen :)

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Here is a question about islam i have... ok we have the old testament. ok that is the old law. in the old testament in jewish law Jesus Christ is prophesised 160 times. Even down the he would be stabbed in his side after he was crucified. Jesus Christ met every one of the 160 prophesies. So after the crucifixion was the covenant being met through the sacrifice. So with the covenant with Christs people, we have the new testament. God made us promises in the new testament. Also gave us very detailed prophesies about Chirists return. Christ said the only way to the father is through me. So I have faith in God and what his promise is. That promise is that Jesus died for my sins so I can be with God in heaven. He was the lamb of God. So why would i believe that a man who's name is muhammed says he is told from God that everything he promised us is wrong and makes a new law. To do this makes God a liar. I know God would never lie. So in short... Jesus was prophesied as being the son of God and dying for our sins, and it happened and he rose again and gave us laws to obide by. I dont believe in what muhammed says because Jesus warned us of false prophets who would lead us away from him. Jesus stated specifically of false prophets. I dont want to offend any muslims but i dont understand why you have not looked at this when you look at your religion. I looked at islam and could not believe in it because in the quran it even talks about how Jesus didnt even get crucified. comeon! there is no way that it was a lie. there are too many witnesses. i respect muslims but, in my opinion islam is not for me.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.