hollyw

Getting ready for Ramadan...

140 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Shoot me now for saying this but I honestly fear Ramadan this year. Usama said that if he is here that he will want to go to the Mosque EVERY NIGHT. I'm sorry but between working full time, having to go home and take care of the kids, driving 20 minutes to go to a mosque for what....one...two hours? EACH NIGHT of a FULL MONTH is not something I look forward to. I wouldn't mind dropping him off but first of all the kids aren't even muslim and he knows that and I know they won't look forward to that not to mention they'll have mega homework since the oldest is starting middle school which is a big of enough transition as it is.

Otherwise I do look forward to the spiritual lift it gives me. :innocent:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ate this dessert a lot last year during Ramadan...

Creamy Caramel Flan

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

5 eggs

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring occasionally, until golden. Pour into a heated 10 inch round baking dish (I put mine in the oven for 5 minutes), tilting to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.

In a large bowl (or blender, I put mine in the blender), beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Beat in condensed and evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into caramel coated pan. Place baking dish inside roasting pan and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until center is just set. Cool one hour on wire rack, then chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges of pan and invert on a rimmed serving platter.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Despite the fact that fasting is pretty hard for me (yes I know it's fairly hard for everyone!), I'm actually looking forward to Ramadan this year.

I'm starting to gather some articles and audio to listen to, to get myself ready.

Insha'allah I'll be in Egypt for the last of Ramadan and Eid. I'm so excited. :luv:

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Shoot me now for saying this but I honestly fear Ramadan this year. Usama said that if he is here that he will want to go to the Mosque EVERY NIGHT. I'm sorry but between working full time, having to go home and take care of the kids, driving 20 minutes to go to a mosque for what....one...two hours? EACH NIGHT of a FULL MONTH is not something I look forward to. I wouldn't mind dropping him off but first of all the kids aren't even muslim and he knows that and I know they won't look forward to that not to mention they'll have mega homework since the oldest is starting middle school which is a big of enough transition as it is.

Otherwise I do look forward to the spiritual lift it gives me. :innocent:

Hey Doodle. Our mosque is 45 minutes away. I am sure we will not go every night. I just wanted to say that my son is not Muslim either, but he loves to go with us when he can. He has made some really good friends with some of the boys his age. It gives him the opportunity to be around many different cultures and to learn more about Islam. Although his father would sh$t a brick if he even considered reverting. Inshaallah, when he is over 18, it will be his decision and nothing his father can say will matter.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

Thanks Meriem!

I've looked and looked to find anything I could re: parents who convert when they're kids are older...that is old enough to have a say in what they do. Most people that I know who converted either don't have kids yet or their kids were under 5 years old when they converted so they just took on the same religion. It's difficult at best but right now I'm just focusing on God in general with them. I leave Muslim Girl (I think that's the name of it) magazine lying around in the hopes that they'll get curious about it and I answer any and all questions, though they really don't ask me much of anything at all right now. I guess time will tell what happens, I just hope I doing this the right way though. :blush:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

Does anyone else have fasts to make up before Ramadan starts? I think I have 7 but I can't remember. How many days left do I have? :help:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

bump...

Just lookin' for recipes... :whistle:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Why don't you guys post all the recipes in the pinned thread so everyone can keep track of them eaiser? :star:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

Is there an official start date yet? I miss Rhama being on this board. :crying: She always had the best links to find out exact dates and times, etc. and cool links. :crying:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline

The unofficial start date is September 13. The official start date can't be determined until the night before since it is determined by the moon sighting. Also, some countries disagree so you'll have some countries starting one day and others starting another day. Like what happened last year. Egypt started the day after we did in the states.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

From what I can tell, the official start date for Ramadan in North America will be September 13th--though that isn't necessarily the day that the moon will be sighted all across the continent.

I don't know all the details of the history, but from what I remember, a bunch of North American Islamic associations get together each year to decide on a date for Ramadan to start. I think the objective is to bring unity to the Muslim community here--if everyone was starting on a different day, then there would be people celebrating Eid, going to the mosque for the night of power, etc. all on different days.

I know that some people choose to start on the same day as in Mecca or in their home country.

Looking forward to harira!

Carolyn

P.S. The days are going to be long this year, eh? I am ok during the week (as a teacher I just avoid the cafeteria), but sundown is slow to come on the weekends!

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Timeline
From what I can tell, the official start date for Ramadan in North America will be September 13th--though that isn't necessarily the day that the moon will be sighted all across the continent.

I don't know all the details of the history, but from what I remember, a bunch of North American Islamic associations get together each year to decide on a date for Ramadan to start. I think the objective is to bring unity to the Muslim community here--if everyone was starting on a different day, then there would be people celebrating Eid, going to the mosque for the night of power, etc. all on different days.

I know that some people choose to start on the same day as in Mecca or in their home country.

Looking forward to harira!

Carolyn

P.S. The days are going to be long this year, eh? I am ok during the week (as a teacher I just avoid the cafeteria), but sundown is slow to come on the weekends!

Ok I knew there was some American organization that made a general official date.

I am going to go by that date and just start 7 days beforehand.......................which I think is Sep 6...............Thursday. :blink::blink::blink: THIS Thursday.... :blink::blink::blink:

Serves me right for procrastinating. :wacko:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The group is ISNA (The Islamic Society of North America). Not every imam in the US goes with their decisions. I know our local masjid does not -- they await news from other masjids around the US as to if the moon was sighted. The ISNA goes based on scientific/mathematical calculations.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.