daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I guess he doesn't read the news or has some pretty sad advisors.

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5555577

"At a meeting on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit on the Indonesian island of Bali, Obama said he wanted to "extend congratulations to the prime minister" for an "inspirational election"."

:whistle:

Timeline

Dubai, U.A.E.

20 November 2011

Dear Fellow Thai People,

As our country has been going through a crisis from the big flood, I am concerned and want our country and all Thai people to pass through this crisis quickly and that requires harmony and reconciliation in our country in order to overcome this natural disaster. I support all measures that will lead to national reconciliation and do not want to see any attempt that will sour the atmosphere and I am prepared to sacrifice my personal happiness even though I have not received justice during the last five years. I will be patient for the sake of the people.

As the Royal Decree which will provide for annual royal pardon is being proposed and as H.M. the King will become 84 years' old this year, and as there has been rumor that my name will be included in the list of individuals to be proposed for royal pardon, I trust in the principle that the government will not do anything that will benefit me or any individual specifically. Moreover, any action to be taken during this period of time must be merely taken so as to bring national reconciliation to our country and to overcome the crisis due to national disaster from big flood.

As H.M. the King has been ill, we must certainly not make H.M. the King worried and I am confident that our Prime Minister shares my belief and intention.

With respect to Thai people who have supported and cared for me, please don't be disappointed as when the light of justice emerges, all will be settled as the country will not be under the state of conflict forever.

Finally, I call upon all parties who truly love Thailand to know the words "forgive and forget" by forgiving each other and forget the past in order to face new dimensions of tomorrow for the sake of our country and younger generations.

With Best Regards

Police Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra

-

- The Nation

Me, me me and more ME

Timeline

There could be hope... but this IS Thailand. :whistle:

From the Washington Post

BANGKOK — The country’s new prime minister apparently failed in her first attempt to win a pardon for her fugitive brother, after his political opponents threatened legal action and demonstrations if his name appeared on a list of criminals eligible for a royal amnesty.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra reportedly sought a pardon for her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as prime minister in a military coup in 2006 and convicted on corruption charges in 2008. Thaksin fled the country to avoid a two-year prison sentence.

Mrs. Yingluck's government included Thaksin’s name on a secret list of 26,000 criminals eligible for pardons from King Bhumibol Adulyadej, according to news reports. The king is expected to consider clemency for the convicts to mark his 84th birthday on Dec. 5.

The royal pardon is an annual tradition, but the Justice Ministry usually does not include fugitives on a list of criminals it presents to the king because those eligible for amnesty must have served some of their prison terms.

After reports appeared of Thaksin’s possible pardon, the Justice Ministry denied that it included him on the list.

“Thaksin will not receive any benefit from the [royal] decree, and his name will not be included on the list of convicts eligible for a royal pardon,” Justice Minister Pracha Promnok said on Sunday. “Convicts on the run will not be eligible.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

"TVF" ?

Thaivisa forum ?

Shame on you. :thumbs:

Yep. They're nazis over there.

There could be hope... but this IS Thailand. :whistle:

From the Washington Post

BANGKOK — The country’s new prime minister apparently failed in her first attempt to win a pardon for her fugitive brother, after his political opponents threatened legal action and demonstrations if his name appeared on a list of criminals eligible for a royal amnesty.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra reportedly sought a pardon for her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as prime minister in a military coup in 2006 and convicted on corruption charges in 2008. Thaksin fled the country to avoid a two-year prison sentence.

Mrs. Yingluck's government included Thaksin’s name on a secret list of 26,000 criminals eligible for pardons from King Bhumibol Adulyadej, according to news reports. The king is expected to consider clemency for the convicts to mark his 84th birthday on Dec. 5.

The royal pardon is an annual tradition, but the Justice Ministry usually does not include fugitives on a list of criminals it presents to the king because those eligible for amnesty must have served some of their prison terms.

After reports appeared of Thaksin’s possible pardon, the Justice Ministry denied that it included him on the list.

“Thaksin will not receive any benefit from the [royal] decree, and his name will not be included on the list of convicts eligible for a royal pardon,” Justice Minister Pracha Promnok said on Sunday. “Convicts on the run will not be eligible.”

Let's see. I bet square head gets his pardon somehow.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Let's see. I bet square head gets his pardon somehow.

Yes, I think somehow he will get his pardon as well.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

I hope y'all had a nice Thanksgiving. Full 'o turkey and pumpkin pie. Packers are now 11-0, my Boston Bruins are once again on top..

Life so far has been sweet.

Happy Holidays everyone. Wishing all the best from my baan to yours. B-)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I hope y'all had a nice Thanksgiving. Full 'o turkey and pumpkin pie. Packers are now 11-0, my Boston Bruins are once again on top..

Life so far has been sweet.

Happy Holidays everyone. Wishing all the best from my baan to yours. B-)

Thanks! - and to you all as well.

We had a farang style Thanksgiving and I actually cooked a decent bird this year.

We both miss Thailand, I miss it more than my wife I think! I'm worried for the country as the King ages.

But as we age, we'll be going back for medical as well as family reasons.

With climate change and flooding, as well as the obvious politial condition, it's less of an enchanting place to retire to.

I'll root for the Packers anytime CJ, but never the Steelers who cheated their way to a Superbowl "win".

Chok dii to all!! Life is great for us.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Timeline

WE JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE, HE'LL BE HERE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!! :dance:

Grats! That is a wonderful feeling. Time to jai yen now... :thumbs:

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

interview 9-10-09

Resident since 9-10-09.

Timeline

"With climate change and flooding, as well as the obvious politial condition, it's less of an enchanting place to retire to."

Living in a small village 2 hours from the big Mango I don't see any problems..granted once the King passes away there could be problems with having the Prince take the throne ( wondering if he will wear the notorious missing Saudi blue diamond once he's in.. :whistle: ) which I think could lead to some pretty nasty going ons...

it actually IS a great place to retire.

The trick is...stay the heck outta Bangers.

Living in a small village 2 hours from the big Mango I don't see any problems.

it actually IS a great place to retire. The trick is...stay the heck outta Bangers.

It's all in one's individual perspective, though.

I've visited many small villages and found them mind numbing.

I can't imagine living anywhere other than Bangkok--or maybe (big maybe) Chiang Mai.

Edited by toma1

Timeline

I like many parts of the big mango too, but CM is on the list in recent years. Maybe around McCormick Hospital. Oddly, I find folks in BKK friendlier than CM. Probably just me.

Samui would be fun but the water scarcity is a concern. BUT! If we rent there wont be much of a concern beyond chucking the last month deposit and moving on.

So we look for places with AC, Bed, Refrigerator, and micro - EZ move. The Skytrain extension area rents seem to be lagging. Added rentals near new Skytrain stops will at least take pressure off all stops inside On Nut.

Then again - If Toxin returns; up-country might be a good place to catch scraps off the banquet table.

Edited by ding

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

11-1-07 touched I-130

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

interview 9-10-09

Resident since 9-10-09.

Timeline

It's all in one's individual perspective, though.

I've visited many small villages and found them mind numbing.

I can't imagine living anywhere other than Bangkok--or maybe (big maybe) Chiang Mai.

I have to agree with you on the villages, I enjoy staying for a couple of days, since I can be completely shutdown (no computer), but after that I start going crazy and need to get out.

As for Chiang Mai, I am living here now. I enjoy some aspects and others I don't. I love the weather, food and beer is a lot cheaper than BKK, especially if you are eating western food. Everyone is very friendly here, but I have noticed less people can speak English, or are at least much more shy about it than in BKK, so that might be why they come off less friendly. I think here I get more people here being nice than I did in BKK.

Now for the drawbacks, a car or motorbike is a must (in my case wife and baby, no choice but a car), where as in BKK it is very easy to get around. Which pretty much negates the cheaper food and beer. With no car you are stuck to Truck Taxi's and Tuk Tuk. They do have some regular "metered" taxi's however I have yet to see a meter go on. The price is always a flat rate starting at 100 baht, and goes up exponentially on the whim. Only 2 movie theaters, I personally love going to the movies, and it is a much bigger chore to go here than hoping on the Skytrain and having a choice of more than 2 theaters.

Well just my minor observations and comparisons.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.