daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

I just got tickets yesterday for my wife, myself & a friend to go to Thailand for a month.

I didn't know about bt-store, but a friend from Sweden recommended http://matrix.itasoftware.com

and it looks interesting (displays cheapest prices in a calendar format, then you click on the day

and it lists all flights on all carriers available on that day). It also matches ranges of departure/

return dates for the best price.

However, the ticket that I had already bought from Priceline.com (Finnair, $1,210.90) was cheaper

than the one for the same dates that was displayed on "matrix." Matrix had only slightly lower

fares for other dates that I didn't want to fly on. With 20-20 hindsight, I think Finnair is trying to

recoup market share lost during last year's volcanic cloud episode in Iceland (Eyjafjallajökull).

Our return date will be Sept. 11, the 10 year anniversary of the attacks. I figured there are enough

superstitious folks out there to make that day look a little less appealing, but my take on it is that

the terrorist radar will be so high on that day that anyone thinking of commiting an act would pick

another day because the best terrorist tactic is to hit 'em when they're not lookin'.

I used to find the cheapest seats on Sidestep.Com but that was taken over by Kayak.com and

I wasn't very impressed with them this time around. This will be the 3rd time I've bought from

Priceline; I just took the lowest price they offered because every time I tried to negotiate it was

rejected. It may be a cool scam, but they do have low prices. I think the only way to get a really

low one would be to go to the airport with a web telephone and make a bid a few hours before

a flight that was not fully booked.

PS - Kayak is a consolidator/filter site - you don't buy anything there but it redirects you to where you can.

Very very often there's a link on Kayak that says at the destination site "this intinerary no longer available."

Shee-IT!

However on Priceline, when they offer something you CAN buy it and that is the price, period.

i have used b-t travel and been successful although they are no longer the cheapest around.

my new fave is asaptickets.com the only catch is you do have to speak to them by phone but they do a great job i've used them probably 5 or 6 times.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Anya,

1. Mr. Ben is ADORABLE getting cuter with every picture you post! :)

2. Please send plane tickets for my husband and i and we will gladly come to watch the krabi krabong, muay thai and enjoy all the other activities. :whistle:

how was italy?

1. Who's Mr Ben? hehe, I think you meant Sam :) Thanks!! He's like a todler now.. cant believe how fast they grow!

2. Too bad I'm in NC so I couldnt even go there myself :(

Italy was great.. loved skiing in the Alp and Venice was beautiful. The food OMG, was great but very expensive. Believe it or not I didnt even eat pizza in Italy!!! lol, I only ate pasta (which I normally dont like much) and it was soooo good. I carried Sam the whole time in Venice becasue it's impossible to use stroller with all the stairs and bridges and he weigh like 22-23 lbs. I though I would lose some weight but the gelato must've make up for all the walking :whistle:

My little world traveler Sammie is a little sick right now (may be traveling too much lol).

I'm still havnt send in his bc to Thai embassy to get him a Thai citizen... I need to do it now but I dont know what to write in the 'what type of visa/status i'm on' I dont know if I said I'm US citizen so I dont have a visa here now, what they will say....

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

omg i'm so sorry, i totally spaced and confused him with another adorable baby named benjawan! Mr. Sam is sooo cute and growing so fast it seems like yesterday you were telling us you were going to have a baby!

already got his first couple of passport stamps how exciting. you should call or email the embassy first you don't give your name first just to find out what happens if it's different because you are a citizen now.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

omg i'm so sorry, i totally spaced and confused him with another adorable baby named benjawan! Mr. Sam is sooo cute and growing so fast it seems like yesterday you were telling us you were going to have a baby!

already got his first couple of passport stamps how exciting. you should call or email the embassy first you don't give your name first just to find out what happens if it's different because you are a citizen now.

hehe no problem at all! I hardly remember anybody baby's name :) but Benjawan would be a little girl would she not? it's a girl name anyway (Thai girl name)

Yes I have to ask the embassy, just too busy to remember to call!!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview for K-1 in BKK?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview for K-1 in BKK?

Niing I have been looking at visa journey's embassy reviews by the members. To do that on the top left click on portals, select Thailand, then click on consulate reviews. I will be adding one once Pui has her interview next month.

Did your fiance leave the usa before his visa expired? Just want to make sure because an overstay is not good.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Thanks! And yeah, he left before it expired. Like a month before it expired. ^^

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Will they let you bring a cell phone to the embassy? I do not think you can. Are there suggestions about where Pui could leave her phone someplace nearby and get after the interview? Thanks everybody.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

Will they let you bring a cell phone to the embassy? I do not think you can. Are there suggestions about where Pui could leave her phone someplace nearby and get after the interview? Thanks everybody.

When you do through the metal detector they'll put a rubber band with her ID card around her cell phone. This is how they did it in '06 anyway. Maybe someone with a more recent experience can chime in.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

When you do through the metal detector they'll put a rubber band with her ID card around her cell phone. This is how they did it in '06 anyway. Maybe someone with a more recent experience can chime in.

Egg said, that when you first go in at security (before the metal detectors) they will ask you if you have a cell phone or any electronic devices. They will take your phone, etc and put it in a locker and give you the key and a number.

When your done, you pick it up on the way out.

July 10, 2010 - I 129F package mailed to Calif. Service Center

July 16, 2010 - Package received at CSC (less than 10 miles from my house)

July 22, 2010 - Received NOA-1

July 29, 2010 - Touched

Dec 07, 2010 - Approval email from USCIS NOA-2 mailed

Dec 09, 2010 - Received NOA-2 Hardcopy

Dec 21, 2010 - NVC received Package

Dec 29, 2010 - Package received at Bangkok Embassy

Jan 12, 2011 - Received Packet 3

Jan 24, 2011 - Returned packet 3

Feb 7, 2011 - Received Packet 4 (Interview date)

March 3, 2011 - Interview - K1 visa approved!!

April 4, 2011 - Egg arrives in California

May 25, 2011 - Married

Timeline

Why doesn't the BKK Embassy allow co-sponcers? Does anyone know?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Timeline

Why doesn't the BKK Embassy allow co-sponcers? Does anyone know?

Seems to be a gray area. They'll allow them for CR-1/IR-1, but not for K visas. I have seen it allowed for K visas when one party is in university etc.

Timeline

I wonder if they would allow it if I'm still a student at the time?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview

AOS

Timeline

I wonder if they would allow it if I'm still a student at the time?

Once you get your NVC letter, shoot them an email. It has to be formatted like this:

Subject line should be:

BNK2011xxxxxx

They wont respond otherwise.

Use this email:

visasbkk2@state.gov

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.