daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hey gang.

I haven't posted here in ages, but wanted to stop in to ask a question.

We're married now, and Vickie (the name Thanti adopted here in the US) is covered under my health/dental at work.

So, I booked a dental appointment last week for both of us to have a checkup and cleaning.

They took bite-wing X rays on her, and discovered that she has 2 cavities and the onset of gum disease.

Also, they are recommending that she sees an oral surgeon to have her wisdom teeth extracted.

What really surprised me is that Vickie says she's rarely had any dental X rays in Thailand. She says that "normal" policy there is to X ray a tooth only if it's going to undergo a root canal or other similar treatment. She says that dentists can "tell" if you have cavities just by a surface examination without any dental X rays. Her last dentist visit was about a year ago at Bumrungrad Hospital where she worked. I know Bumrungrad, and I know they offer world class care. I have a hard time believing they don't take X rays as a basic part of preventative dental care.

I'm curious what others experiences are.

For those who have lived in Thailand significant time and experienced dental care there - how did you find it compared to the US?

And for those of us who brought a Thai partner to live with us in the US, were you confronted with any surprises on your spouse's first visit to the dentist in the US?

The first time I got here they just told me my dentist did a great job on my cavities (and they joked about the silver stuff we used :blush: ) And they asked if I ever have a brace coz my teeth looked like it does - nope, never - so they said i'm very lucky.

In Thailand we do not have routine visit.. so only when you feel you need/want to go you can go to any dentist you want. so some people if they dont have tooth ache, they just dont go to the dentist. I went to the dentist every year for check up since I was very young (mom mandated).

They dont normally do x-ray on you if you dont have any complaint so I think that's pretty normal that if you have some deeper problem it might be too late to prevent it. and by the way, they dont take out all the whisdom teeth at the same time. I got 2 of them out while in Thailand and one here. my US dentist didnt see the 4th one so i'm lucky! lol.

The experiences with whisdom teeth in Thailand and the US are totally different. In Thailand I was awake the whole time hearing all those cracking noice and the pull sensation. I told my oral surgeon here I dont need to go under but he insisted I should (more money i guess?) he said the noice can bother me eventhough i told him i went through 2 already and it doesnt bother me. oh well it was nice. it cost me about $200 here in the US (insurance covered 80% coz he's not in network) which is about the same of the total cost in Thailand lol.

Since I got this job I dont have to go to the dentist in Thailand anymore (free cleaning twice a year) but before I would just go to my dentist (who I went since I was little.. he know everything about my teeth) when I visit Thailand.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I've been to Thailand a lot in the past 7-8 years since the company I work for has been sending me here a lot to work here. Right now I am currently here in Pattaya right now. I thought about this a lot today, I have always wanted to discuss this with someone so I guess I will bring it up here. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but does anyone notice or it seems to me, that most of the men here in Thailand seem feminine. I know there are a lot of katoi and gay kings here but I've seen some men holding hands with some beautiful ladies, talk and act really feminine, do you guys think it's a cultural trend here to act like this? It's like everyone is "metro sexual" here or something. My Thai friends in the US do not act like this and they speak Thai they sound masculine. Is it because there is a mass concentration of gays here that their mannerisms rub off on the whole culture here? Discuss.....

I'm with Anya-D on this one. I'd say the metrosexual thing you are seeing is mostly .... a very popular style. Korean Style. Not gay. Skinny jeans, the hair, ....

Timeline
Hey again Ron! Kat had a similar situation at the dentist here. I took her to a dentist I trust (one I have been using for years) and they told me that she was in the early stages of periodontal disease. Result: two long and expensive (and only 80% covered) "deep" cleanings as they called them. This was done to reverse her condition. I'm sure there is a dental term for these special cleanings, but I don't recall offhand. Also they recommended that she have cleanings every 4 months for a little while until they are sure everything is back to normal again.

Yes, that is very similar to the diagnosis and treatment plan we've been given.

I had a little "discussion" with Vickie on the subject. From what I understand about modern dentistry you can't really know what the state of a tooth is without an Xray. Most of the interesting things are happening within the tooth and a surface inspection is not sufficient. Surprising to me that this isn't widespread practice in Thailand.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I thought I had seen it all. Apparently not.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-s-S...au-t315817.html

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
I thought I had seen it all. Apparently not.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-s-S...au-t315817.html

The problems' going to be the attitude of men who think their 'choice' are never wrong. My ex cheated on me with 5 different women and never used condom because he said he trusted them to be a nice girl.. really? a girl who slept with a guy who she knew have a long term gf? and who slept with you the first opportunity they had? sure.. they are all clean with that behavior.. and that attitude share with a lot of guys I know - and they are all university educated... sad really.

women also have the attitude that if the men use condom mean he think she's easy and sleeping around or that he doesnt trust her..

so until those attitude change, it's hard to promote condom.. really.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Well Thanks all for the help on Nan's K3 visa!!! Heading over to Thailand this Sunday to bring Nan and Chase back to the USA.

We will be home on Thanksgiven Day.

Wow! Quick trip!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Well Thanks all for the help on Nan's K3 visa!!! Heading over to Thailand this Sunday to bring Nan and Chase back to the USA.

We will be home on Thanksgiven Day.

Wow! Quick trip!

Yeap, I had a longer on planned, But thought it would be better to spend more time in the states with Nan for my vacation. Did not like coming home one day and heading to work the next day.

Timeline

Just wanted to say that Chutima received her U.S. Passport today!!! :dancing:

We also stopped by the SSA office and updated her record. Dept of Homeland Security didn't even have her as being married, so they had to submit a form to get that updated.

Bottom line... we are definitely DONE!!! :D:dance:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

We also stopped by the SSA office and updated her record. Dept of Homeland Security didn't even have her as being married, so they had to submit a form to get that updated.

Congratulations!

Timeline

Wow, that's AWESOME Brother Robert! Congrats.

All the best to you and Chutima :thumbs:

Brother Robert,

Congrats to you and Chutima! Geez...what are you going to do now that you are immigration free? "whistle: I'm still in ROC with AAm...so perhaps we're getting there too...still...I'm JEALOUS! :jest: :jest: :jest:

Fantastic news brother...we're always happy to share in your good news!

Mark

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Timeline

Congratulations and best wishes always. :thumbs: :thumbs:

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline

Thanks everyone! :blush: Looking back, it doesn't seem that bad, but when we had to wait, it seemed to take forever. It is hard to believe there is nothing else to do, other than for Chutima to send in her voter registration, but there's no rush for that. Without any prompting from me, she wants to join the Republican Party! :innocent:

Good luck to everyone else on their journey! :thumbs:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.