daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I read that in a couple of place and also read that our son is Dual up to his 18 birthday and then he must pick Thai or USA.

Now I will have to look where I found that.

I would like to know where you read this so i can read it to. I'm hoping to pass our property in Thailand to our kid one day if this is true.

it is hard to say if he does or not. Some forum say as long as he does not live in Thailand from 18 to 30 he does not have to. Others say as long as he is not in the blue house book. Which my son is in my wife's family blue house book. At this time we do not have a Thai passport for our son, only an American one. Next time I talk to my wife I will ask her to ask her aunt to check, she works at the local amphur.

If he is in the blue book, he is Thai, bottom line. Without your name in that book you are not Thai.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As for whether or not to get naturalized, there are many benefits to getting naturalized:

1. You never have to update your address with USCIS anymore.

2. You can not be deported.

3. You can vote (even though there's not many good candidates to choose from!).

4. You can get a U.S. Passport, which allows you to go to many places w/o a visa, that a Thai passport would require.

5. You never have to renew your citizenship!

Those are just the reasons I can think of. I'm sure there are other advantages too. :)

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
As for whether or not to get naturalized, there are many benefits to getting naturalized:

4. You can get a U.S. Passport, which allows you to go to many places w/o a visa, that a Thai passport would require.

Those are just the reasons I can think of. I'm sure there are other advantages too. :)

The main advantage is to demonstrate in a tangible and concrete way one's love and loyalty to this great land. Sappy? Sure. Nothing wrong with that :D

God-Bless-America.jpg

Timeline

The main advantage is to demonstrate in a tangible and concrete way one's love and loyalty to this great land. Sappy? Sure. Nothing wrong with that :D

I read the oath and it's pretty scary :unsure: the reasons I wanted to have US citizenship are the same as Roi's reason... I would never renounce my Thai citizenship and if they both have an argument I think I'll have to side with Thailand :blush: - depends on what it is too though lol. Will I be able to fight for the US? the first part of the oath " to renounce all my allegiance to my current citizen country" is pretty sad...

There is a lady from PI at my work who lives here for many years and she doesnt have any family left in PI and have no reason to go back there. I could not imagine myself not have any reason to go back there - it's pretty sad to think about the future like that for me.

My sister who work with minitry of foreign affair (she's a deplomatic officer, now in Canada) said that Thailand doesnt recognize dual citizenship - but per my understanding from other Thais here, they did what Roi and dboyz said.. carried both passport. I would want my children to have a Thai citizenship and love Thailand as much as me :star:

congrats on the last stop for your process anya-d! (secretly jealous since we are over 2.5 years away from that ^_^ )

Thanks!! Time flies though - it'll be here before you know it!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Timeline

One thing for all those with Thai sons; be mindful that all Thai men are conscripted into the military and therefore he must return to Thailand to perform that service or apply for an exemption. My American friend, whose father is Italian, is a dual national and had to apply for exemption from the Italian military, which was granted.

I understand your point of view anya-D, as I feel exactly the same way. I love Thailand, and would consider living there one day, perhaps even becoming a citizen. However, my first allegiance shall always be to America. When I first left America at 20 years old to study in Europe, I was a bit jaded and cynical. Living abroad opened my eyes to all that is great in America; same goes for the four years I lived in Asia, I really began to appreciate the liberties of my home. Of course we still have challenges and we make mistakes, but which country or individual doesn't? And stack all of America's shortcomings up against all of our greatness and they don't even seem visible.

America brought forth electrical power, which alone revolutionized the entire globe with further American innovations in the incandescent light bulb, frigeration, digital computers and subsequent networking, television, telegraph, the aviation industry, outerspace exploration, and the automotive industry (Ford's production line). America gave serious attention to Sir Alexander Flemming's discovery of penicillin in order to treat wounded warriors. George W. Bush provided more assistance to Africa than any other person in history. American philanthropists built our libraries, museums, and other repositories of culture. Our achievements go on and on.

Again I am all too aware of the greed, hatred, and destruction that has been wrought by some Americans or in the name of America and of course I do not support it. However, what America has done to support the rest of humanity cannot be overstated. What else I like about America is that it is comprised of all nationalities, ethnicities, and beliefs; we are Thai, German, English, Japanese, Korean, Irish, Egyptian, Italian, etc.; We are black, white, and brown; we are Christians, Buddhists, Atheists, Freethinkers, Jews, and Muslims. America is a great experiment of humanity combining all groups under a single premise.

America is governed by our Constition that derives its power from a single line in the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator

with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to

secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the

governed..."

No human or government grants other humans their civil rights. These rights are derived from a source far greater than any political institution; these rights are naturally given to all humans by their Creator. Government's role is to protect these natural rights.

This is what I love most about America.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
One thing for all those with Thai sons; be mindful that all Thai men are conscripted into the military and therefore he must return to Thailand to perform that service or apply for an exemption. My American friend, whose father is Italian, is a dual national and had to apply for exemption from the Italian military, which was granted.

I understand your point of view anya-D, as I feel exactly the same way. I love Thailand, and would consider living there one day, perhaps even becoming a citizen. However, my first allegiance shall always be to America. When I first left America at 20 years old to study in Europe, I was a bit jaded and cynical. Living abroad opened my eyes to all that is great in America; same goes for the four years I lived in Asia, I really began to appreciate the liberties of my home. Of course we still have challenges and we make mistakes, but which country or individual doesn't? And stack all of America's shortcomings up against all of our greatness and they don't even seem visible.

America brought forth electrical power, which alone revolutionized the entire globe with further American innovations in the incandescent light bulb, frigeration, digital computers and subsequent networking, television, telegraph, the aviation industry, outerspace exploration, and the automotive industry (Ford's production line). America gave serious attention to Sir Alexander Flemming's discovery of penicillin in order to treat wounded warriors. George W. Bush provided more assistance to Africa than any other person in history. American philanthropists built our libraries, museums, and other repositories of culture. Our achievements go on and on.

Again I am all too aware of the greed, hatred, and destruction that has been wrought by some Americans or in the name of America and of course I do not support it. However, what America has done to support the rest of humanity cannot be overstated. What else I like about America is that it is comprised of all nationalities, ethnicities, and beliefs; we are Thai, German, English, Japanese, Korean, Irish, Egyptian, Italian, etc.; We are black, white, and brown; we are Christians, Buddhists, Atheists, Freethinkers, Jews, and Muslims. America is a great experiment of humanity combining all groups under a single premise.

America is governed by our Constition that derives its power from a single line in the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator

with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to

secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the

governed..."

No human or government grants other humans their civil rights. These rights are derived from a source far greater than any political institution; these rights are naturally given to all humans by their Creator. Government's role is to protect these natural rights.

:thumbs: well stated.

Timeline

governed..."

Almost impossible for a farang to become a Thai citizen. Even becoming a permanent resident there is extremely difficult.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline
Almost impossible for a farang to become a Thai citizen. Even becoming a permanent resident there is extremely difficult.

I was actually referring to a future incarnation.

Timeline

I was actually referring to a future incarnation.

Are you going to die and re-incarnate yourself as Thai?

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

I believe I had already been a Southeast Asian in a prior incarnation. While there, everything felt so familiar and comfortable; eating rice three meals a day, squatting and using a bucket of water for my ablutions, lots of short dark haired folk.

Yes, I am considering coming back as Thai next time.

Timeline
I believe I had already been a Southeast Asian in a prior incarnation. While there, everything felt so familiar and comfortable; eating rice three meals a day, squatting and using a bucket of water for my ablutions, lots of short dark haired folk.

I felt the same way after my first short time. That's why I moved there. I hope I am re-born as a Thai with alot of expendable $.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

I felt the same way after my first short time. That's why I moved there. I hope I am re-born as a Thai with alot of expendable $.

You my friend, are a bad bad man!!! :diablo::lol:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

I remembered another reason:

6. You can go outside of the U.S. for more than one year, and not have to file for a re-entry permit, or if you stay outside for more than 2 years, have to file for a re-entry visa.

:thumbs:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Timeline

See John Demjanjuk. You can still be deported. Naturalized citizens can always be deported.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

See John Demjanjuk. You can still be deported. Naturalized citizens can always be deported.

That's only because of a relatively new law, which is the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which enables agents to open deportation proceedings on the basis of evidence implicating suspects in torture or killing.

Deportation, according to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), is "the formal removal of an alien from the United States when the alien has been found removable for violating immigration laws."

In general, a person who is a lawful permanent resident (LPR) need not fear deportation, unless it can be proven that he or she entered the United States fraudulently or committed a serious crime (ex-Nazi prison guards, for example).

Bottom line, unless you are a VERY VERY BAD person, once you get your citizenship, it is very hard to take away, and it must be stripped, prior to deportation proceedings.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.