daboyz

Thailand Thread

1,485 posts in this topic

Hey Brother Scott,

You really won't believe this...but I've never been to Wat Doi Suthep! I've probably been to every Wat in Thailand, multiple times, but I never made it to that one...

I think it is a 12 km walk to the top of Wat Doi Suthep, and AAm and I started walking up it one time...I think it was during Visaka Bucha <sp> so so basically all of Chiang Mai was walking up to spend the night at the temple...well...we made it about 6km and then I saw a Singha vendor on the side of the street...so...well...I ended up never making it past that guy...and then taking a tuk-tuk all the way back out to Doi Saket <haha>

Peace,

MK+JC+AK

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not sure which wat you guys are talking about but when i went to chiang mai, we went to a place where you had to walk up alot of steps and then go down inside a cave to get to some Buddahs via some pretty steep steps. the walk up the steps outside was not to bad except that it was really hot and humid.

On another day we went to a wat for the king and queen(as i understood it). It was a really pretty place, close to the highest point in Thailand. again it was hot and humid but the pay off was when we went to the waterfall nearby and got to stand in the water mist.

There are some places i've seen over there that i really don't want to see again and then there are some really stunning views that make me want to visit every day. The amount of work that is put into a place to make it so pretty is a testament in its self as to how hard working and proud the people of Thailand can be.

Also after seeing how the people are building my sister in laws house brick by brick, using hand tools and making logs into boards, digging dirt from the basement with shovels, i would take a 2 hour siesta to. The carpenters here in the US have it easy compared to those guys and i don't think they would last a week on the job there in Thailand.

Edited by will92104

USCIS

08/21/2008- Mailed I-130 today

08/23/2008- I-130 recieved at chicago lock box

08/27/2008- NOA1 notice date

01/05/2009- recieved NOA2 approval e-mail from CRIS

NVC

2009-01-16 : NVC Received and Case Number Assigned (don't know exact date)

2009-01-16 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-01-25 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-28 : AOS bill invoiced (paid online)

2009-02-02 : AOS bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-02 : AOS package sent to NVC (sent overnight)

2009-01-29 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2??? : AOS entered into NVC system (NVC recieved AOS 03-feb-2009)

2009-02-01 : IV bill invoiced(paid online)

2009-02-03 : IV bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-23 : Medical completed

2009-03-13: DS-230 and Packet 3 sent to NVC

2009-03-17: DS-230 and packet 3 recieved by NVC

2009-03-27: RFE to correct a date on DS-230

2009-03-30: Corrected DS-230 recieved by NVC

2009-04-06 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-05-01 : Forward the case to Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand

2009-06-03 : Interview at Embassy APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Chiang Mai next visit, Chiang Mai next visit, Chiang Mai next visit... I havnt been there since I was 13!! but but but.. can I not go to the beach? 2 weeks vacation is toooo short to do everything isnt it.. dang..

ps. my holy basil plants just sprout.. i'm so happy!!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Chiang Mai next visit, Chiang Mai next visit, Chiang Mai next visit... I havnt been there since I was 13!! but but but.. can I not go to the beach? 2 weeks vacation is toooo short to do everything isnt it.. dang..

I just found a place online they sell seeds by the OUNCE...but based on her eating habits, maybe that's a good idea (LOL)!

What other veggies do you suggest? I gotta get the HOT peppers, too (but you can get those dried just fine, as well)...too bad you can't grow stinky bacteria fish sauce :P

Edited by HYENA

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Timeline

My sister started about 8 to 10 holy basil plants. I'll take half and leave the other half at her place. We are also going to start Thai chilis and morning glory. The idea is to have it all ready when my fiancée arrives so we can cook with it from day 1.

Timeline
My sister started about 8 to 10 holy basil plants. I'll take half and leave the other half at her place. We are also going to start Thai chilis and morning glory. The idea is to have it all ready when my fiancée arrives so we can cook with it from day 1.

THattts what it is! Mornign glory! I was trying to recall that stuff I was eating! I found a website I'm about to order from that has those ugly flat beans, yard long beans, all the holy basils, the native american looking squash you put custard inside, the hots, the small sweet greens peppers, the mini eggplants and mini turnips....tons of weird stuff that will remind us both of sitting in the sweltering heat eating this stuff at her house. I can't wait to get em in the ground! I'm sooo psyched! I think I'll like it more than she does. She swears she doesn't need 'her food" but seeing what happens if she doesn't get her tom macoom, I doubt that...but on the other hand, other fiancees have said the same things and seem to have adapted just fine. Either way, I'm happy about it all. I've looked for the basil and couldn't find it 'till I learned it was holy basil (I was looking for Vietnamese basil before I frequented Thailand in the past....

I know I need t plant lots of those little green eggplants..they eat lots of those! Oh and okra...and ....... :D I wish there was enough time to grow rice (not really...planting that up north was painful hard work)!

I can't find any place that has the morning glory seeds...

Edited by HYENA

8/14/08 NOA-1

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

Timeline

I just found a place online they sell seeds by the OUNCE...but based on her eating habits, maybe that's a good idea (LOL)!

What other veggies do you suggest? I gotta get the HOT peppers, too (but you can get those dried just fine, as well)...too bad you can't grow stinky bacteria fish sauce :P

ooh ohh plant talk!! I can do this :blush:

3 type of basils - Thai basil, holy basil.. and the other one.. i dont remember the english name for it.. Mang Lak (lime basil or what ever).. bai mang lak is good for kanom jeen :thumbs: Holy basil is pretty hard to start but once it does, it grows quickly.. it likes to be in full sun and hot climate - 70 F + I got some freash seeds from Thailand from my last visit.. it sprouts in 3 days!! record time.

If you can find long bean.. it's good to have some too for somtom and other yum... and the Thai eggplant - the round green small eggplant.. and I think most of other stuff you can buy from here.

That reminds me.. I need to start the long bean and engg plant.. my husband actually took over my garden (while i was gone.. it was a very cute gesture but not the plants I want :blush: ) with all the tomatos and peppers.. I gotta claim some of it back!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

Timeline

THattts what it is! Mornign glory! I was trying to recall that stuff I was eating! I found a website I'm about to order from that has those ugly flat beans, yard long beans, all the holy basils, the native american looking squash you put custard inside, the hots, the small sweet greens peppers, the mini eggplants and mini turnips....tons of weird stuff that will remind us both of sitting in the sweltering heat eating this stuff at her house. I can't wait to get em in the ground! I'm sooo psyched! I think I'll like it more than she does. She swears she doesn't need 'her food" but seeing what happens if she doesn't get her tom macoom, I doubt that...but on the other hand, other fiancees have said the same things and seem to have adapted just fine. Either way, I'm happy about it all. I've looked for the basil and couldn't find it 'till I learned it was holy basil (I was looking for Vietnamese basil before I frequented Thailand in the past....

I know I need t plant lots of those little green eggplants..they eat lots of those! Oh and okra...and ....... :o ) I wish there was enough time to grow rice (not really...planting that up north was painful hard work)!

LOL Rice!! you aim high bro :devil:

Okra is good - have you actually saw a real okra plant? it's very tall - dont wait long to pick the okra though, it can get very tough... I had like 5 plants last year.. I dont think I want to plant them again.. never actually get to eat them :wacko:

I was quite happy for once in a while Thai food when I first got here. Then all the generic Thai food got so boring and all the food here are not that different from each other.. then I found a website for home made Thai recipe for those who lives abroad and that was a life saver!!

I'm sure your fiancee will appreciate all the holy basil and Thai vegetable.. it will come in handy!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

Timeline

ahh, i see, it's not really morning glory but similar....Ipomoea aquatica

8/14/08 NOA-1

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

7/28/09 Pick up visa

Timeline

you know some state bad those plant.. as it's very easy to grow - you can cut the stalk and stick it in water and it'll grow roots.. a lot of retuarant throw the stalks away in the drain and it grows in the the sewage...

so becareful if you want to throw away this thing..

and you dont need seeds to start. -

Lemon grass and also thai basil.. if you come across them int he asian market, for lemon grass, find the one with the end of it intact (doesnt have to have roots, but not cut out too high) and stick it in water, it'll grow roots in about 7 days. same goes with any basil..

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Pakboong in Thai.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

I know I need t plant lots of those little green eggplants..they eat lots of those! Oh and okra...and ....... :o ) I wish there was enough time to grow rice (not really...planting that up north was painful hard work)!

LOL Rice!! you aim high bro :devil:

Okra is good - have you actually saw a real okra plant? it's very tall - dont wait long to pick the okra though, it can get very tough... I had like 5 plants last year.. I dont think I want to plant them again.. never actually get to eat them :wacko:

I was quite happy for once in a while Thai food when I first got here. Then all the generic Thai food got so boring and all the food here are not that different from each other.. then I found a website for home made Thai recipe for those who lives abroad and that was a life saver!!

I'm sure your fiancee will appreciate all the holy basil and Thai vegetable.. it will come in handy!

Yes, I had about 10 Okra plants last year and they produced really well. I love it raw (hate it cooked). it was actually sweet (and I used to hate it) but now I'm sold on okra....but then again, many things she'd eat were raw; the green eggplants, wing beans, yardlong beans, turnips. I just got a slew of stuff from evergreen. I don't know how all their prices go but for holy basil they were the lowest (after a quick search) so i bought all the rest there.

I can't find the water morning glory stuff (I've got a pond but it doesn't drain all year...but I think some areas where the spring comes in is good enough o grow some stuff). I was joking about the rice; I thought my thumb was gonna fall off after working at her place my first visit (had to make an impression)! LOL!

Right now she's taking driving classes about 5000 baht or so. She can either keep trying to take the test or she can pay someone off and get the license. I told her to go ahead and pay the 1-2k baht and get it since I don't want her learnign too much left sided stuff over there and half of the time the instructor tells her to pull over while he chats on the phone (Thailand for ya)! I told her once she's got her DL we can learn as much as she likes for a few hours a day if she wants. She's starting to get excited. Driving class lifted her spirits but got her down on herself for not learnign faster). I told her it takes months not weeks or days. No prob, though she'll be happy either way to have that DL in her paw and she's never driven a car in her life. I'm so happy for her!

I LOVE Thai basil. I can't wait to get that growing! Our food is so boring comparatively (except for some tex mex, that's pretty tasty). She's Isaan so much of her regular staples are raw. I DO need to find some sticky rice. I REALLY want some of that (MAJOR CRAVING). I've gotta go to the Chinese groc store TODAY and see if they've got a mongo 40 lb bag of it.....I've become a rice junky and I love it!

Edited by HYENA

8/14/08 NOA-1

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

7/28/09 Pick up visa

Timeline
:pop:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline
:pop:

are you enjoying yourself roi? spread the fun!! :devil:

hehehe Here ya go! :pop:;)

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.