TheFantastics09

Canadian police checks..

28 posts in this topic

Well, I am crossing my fingers that Montreal will be lenient (if necessary) and let me use my police check if it is over '6 months'. :)

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Got my police check in Ottawa, Ontario, walked into the RCMP headquarters downtown.

Yeah, I went through the OPP; that was probably my problem =P

K-1 Visa Process

Total time between mailing of I-29F and recieving visa: 249 days (8 months, 4 days)

2010-05-27: Mailed I-29F

2010-06-07: NOA1; I-29F Recieved

2010-09-21: NOA2; I-29F Approved

2010-10-02: Recieved Packet 3 in mail

(5 week wait for police background check)

2010-11-26: Mailed Packet 3 through DHL

2010-11-29: Packet 3 recieved by consulate

2010-12-11: Packet 4 sent from consulate

2010-12-26: Packet 4 recieved and interview booked!

2011-01-04: Medical exam in Toronto

2011-01-21: Interview in Montreal; APPROVED!

2011-01-31: Visa recieved

2011-02-04: Fiance coming to Canada for visit before we leave

2011-02-07: US entry date!

I got a criminal record check too. I asked for the ones with the finger prints. The office told me in order to get the national check i have to send the fingerprints they just took to Ottawa to the receiver general. I was told to put in a money order for $25 and expect a response with a minimum of 2 months. I sent it late Dec and am still waiting.

Did anyone else get this done? I have no criminal record. I was reading some responses about a name check...the name check does not have any fingerprints...did the consulate accept this?

SO confusing

I got both police checks done. I don't have a criminal record so it took only a week to get it back after I got my fingerprints taken. I did both just for my own peace of mind and I gave them both when I went for my interview.

I was looking at your timeline! and i'm jealous...your timeline is somewhat the exact opposite of mine. I requested a transfer to montreal (stupid move) I was hoping for a medical and interview in one trip but now since montreal takes so long i have to go back twice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a criminal record check too. I asked for the ones with the finger prints. The office told me in order to get the national check i have to send the fingerprints they just took to Ottawa to the receiver general. I was told to put in a money order for $25 and expect a response with a minimum of 2 months. I sent it late Dec and am still waiting.

Did anyone else get this done? I have no criminal record. I was reading some responses about a name check...the name check does not have any fingerprints...did the consulate accept this?

SO confusing

I'd like to know this as well. I also have no criminal record but I think I read somewhere that if you don't have a criminal record, the check without the fingerprints is acceptable. I'm thinking of going to get mine soon so if I need to get the one that takes a long time I can order it now and be ready.

What do you do to get a police check, by the way? Do you just walk into your local police station and tell them what you need? I've never been inside a police station before. :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

POLICE CHECKS: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada#Police_Checks

Quite simple(and ur in Canada)--no criminal history = NO FINGERPRINTING!!!!

Tiem wise it varies from station to station--some you Stns give them out within minutes, some days some a week. Some charge a fee, some do not!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I'd like to know this as well. I also have no criminal record but I think I read somewhere that if you don't have a criminal record, the check without the fingerprints is acceptable. I'm thinking of going to get mine soon so if I need to get the one that takes a long time I can order it now and be ready.

What do you do to get a police check, by the way? Do you just walk into your local police station and tell them what you need? I've never been inside a police station before. :lol:

Yep, I simply walked in and asked for a record check. I filled out a form, he did a search on my name, signed off that there were no records found with my name/birth date, and sealed it with the official seal and that was it. Took maybe ten minutes.

Timeline

Yep, I simply walked in and asked for a record check. I filled out a form, he did a search on my name, signed off that there were no records found with my name/birth date, and sealed it with the official seal and that was it. Took maybe ten minutes.

See my above post--great link and it VARIES from station to station. But normally the easiest piece of paperwork to obtain, some hand them out on the spot, some take much longer

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

The other time you need the fingerprint version of the criminal record check is if you live outside of Canada. I'm Canadian and lived in Canada for a long time but was living in Bermuda when I immigrated so the name check was not sufficient for me.

~ Catherine

Timeline

The other time you need the fingerprint version of the criminal record check is if you live outside of Canada. I'm Canadian and lived in Canada for a long time but was living in Bermuda when I immigrated so the name check was not sufficient for me.

~ Catherine

Or IF you are outside of Canada at the time of submitting the information... Although I would have needed a fingerprint one

anyways. I was visiting my husband for as long as possible and did not want to return to Canada to have it all done in Canada so

I stayed and got a local place In PA to do my prints and sent them away. The rcmp fingerprint time line for me was just over 60

days to receive the police certificate.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Now, I read that we need to have a police check done for any place you lived for over a year since you were 16. I lived in London Ontario for a little while when I went to college but was never there for more than a college term (I think it was like 9 months at a time). Do I still need one for London? Do I have to actually go to London to get it or can my police station get that? Do I go to my local police or the OPP?

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a Canada-wide police check done, partly because my job requested it (I work with minors) and partly for the sake of my K1 application.

Basically, I went into my city's police station, was directed to the records department, said, "I need a police check, like the kind for all of Canada, and for working with minors" and the lady said, "Ah yes." So I filled in a piece of paper, paid a fee ($45?), and was told to give it 6 weeks, call to check that it was ready, and then collect it again. When I came back, I asked again, "this is good for all of Canada, right?" and was assured that it was. I did not supply finger prints.

Since I've lived in 4 or 5 different parts of the country since I was 16, I'm counting on this particular check to really be "nation-wide" and it's dated October 22, 2010. Montreal interviews are being booked into May now, which will make my check more than 6 months old, so I am also hoping there will be some flexibility on that particular policy.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need to go to every town/province you have lived in since you were 16, just to your local station to request a Canada wide search. Your documentation should say something about CPIC on it, which is the way you know a full search has been done.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.