spicynoodles

invitation letter B-2 visa

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I have a question about the invitation letter that is supposed to help support the B-2 visa application. From all the examples that Ive seen of these invitation letters, they sound really cheesy and unrealistic. For example:

"Mother, I would like to invite you come visit me on Jan 35th 2011 and stay with me until Feb 01st 2011..."

To me it just doesnt natural and therefore unrealistic, and I dont understand how this is supposed to help if it seems "fake." Personally if I were to invite my mom, I would say something along the lines of:

"Mom, I have some free time around January 2011 through the first week of Feb, would you like to come visit me?..."

What are your takes on this? Should I go for more realistic, or more descriptive but fake sounding?

Oh yeah, I do have one other question. Ive seen on a few threads a mention of an addition letter to the US embassy overseas, basically guaranteeing that the foreign visitor will be financially sound while visiting, and that he or she will return after their short visit. Is this necessary as well?

Thanks all!

-Bert

oh oh, I forgot one more thing! With technology nowadays, it would also seem more realistic to send emails rather than snail mail. Do yall think that bringing an email printout of the invitation is a good idea? Thanks again.

-Bert

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have a question about the invitation letter that is supposed to help support the B-2 visa application. From all the examples that Ive seen of these invitation letters, they sound really cheesy and unrealistic. For example:

"Mother, I would like to invite you come visit me on Jan 35th 2011 and stay with me until Feb 01st 2011..."

To me it just doesnt natural and therefore unrealistic, and I dont understand how this is supposed to help if it seems "fake." Personally if I were to invite my mom, I would say something along the lines of:

"Mom, I have some free time around January 2011 through the first week of Feb, would you like to come visit me?..."

What are your takes on this? Should I go for more realistic, or more descriptive but fake sounding?

Oh yeah, I do have one other question. Ive seen on a few threads a mention of an addition letter to the US embassy overseas, basically guaranteeing that the foreign visitor will be financially sound while visiting, and that he or she will return after their short visit. Is this necessary as well?

Thanks all!

-Bert

oh oh, I forgot one more thing! With technology nowadays, it would also seem more realistic to send emails rather than snail mail. Do yall think that bringing an email printout of the invitation is a good idea? Thanks again.

-Bert

There are plenty of templates online, and you can pick the cheesy ones, or the ones that you prefer.

here is one that I normally use.

January 25, 2011

US CONSULATE XXXXX

Visas Section

Consulate address

RE: Invitation Letter and financial responsibility affidavit for US Visitor’s Visa for:

Aplicant’s name

To Whom It May Concern:

I, undersigned, your name, born Your DOB, naturalized American Citizen (see copy of citizenship certificate), and (Brother, Wife, etc)of Applicant’s name, born Applicant’s DOB, Place of residence: Applicant’s address

As such, it is my desire that my (Brother, Wife, etc) Applicant’s name visit me in the United States anytime in 20XX for any period of up to XX weeks.

During his/her visit, he/she will stay at my residence, located Your Address. Furthermore, I will be responsible for all living expenses while in The US, including temporary medical insurance and if needed, hospitalization. I will ensure his/her timely return to his/her residence in Applicant’s city and Country. I will assume the return travel expenses for his/her visit.

Should you have any questions or concerns requiring my attention, please contact me at any time at Your Phone # or by email at Your Email Address I sign this document in awareness of my legal liability for failure to comply with the above statement and in case of giving incorrect data.

Thank you for your attention to this matter and I appreciate your approval to this application.

Sincerely,

Your name

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thanks for the reply Dancob, but I was referring to the invitation letter to the relative, not the letter to the embassy abroad. I was just saying that people usually use a more casual language with relatives, and not that robotic language that Ive been seeing in the samples. In the case of a letter to the embassy, I understand it having to be clear an concise (not cheesy at all!). So I gather that I do need to write 2 letters, one to the relative, and one to the embassy abroad? but both will be brought by the relative to the embassy at the time of the interview, correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks for the reply Dancob, but I was referring to the invitation letter to the relative, not the letter to the embassy abroad. I was just saying that people usually use a more casual language with relatives, and not that robotic language that Ive been seeing in the samples. In the case of a letter to the embassy, I understand it having to be clear an concise (not cheesy at all!). So I gather that I do need to write 2 letters, one to the relative, and one to the embassy abroad? but both will be brought by the relative to the embassy at the time of the interview, correct?

I'm wondering this myself. I'm helping my finacee's mother with her B2 Visa right now. We've got the PIN # and gathered almost everything we need to complete the online DS-156. I'm debating what type of and how many letters to send her. Her visit is specifically to attend our wedding...but we aren't having formal invitation letters sent out so I'm not really sure how to approach it. It feels a little bizarre to write a formal letter with the singular purpose of being acknowledged by the US Embassy.

Then again, I've also heard from family member's attempting to get B2 visas that they will completely disregard letters and extra evidence and say it doesn't matter. But who knows, it's better to have evidence if asked than not have it.

I'm leaning towards just sending a letter addressed to the Embassy with an sentence or two explaining the purpose of the trip. But if anybody knows better please chime in.

Edited by missouriviaperu

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does my husband have to send invitation letter to my parents or to embassy if I used to be illegal in USA? The time he will (?) send them that invitation I'll be just on processing.. I want my parents to visit me, but since I can't invite them (again, I don't have GC yet, got married being illegal and now we are fixing my status) I think he can do that. Or in this case it's better not send any invitation and ask my parent to apply for B-2 visa by themselves? I'm afraid my illegal status can really affect all process of getting visa for my parents ;(

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm afraid my illegal status can really affect all process of getting visa for my parents ;(

You think?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are harping on the wrong end of the issue, why they need to leave is more important than why they want to come.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

hi Dancob

my older sister and her family are going to visit me and also my mom. my question is Do i have to write different invitation letter for each of them or just made one in general. they are 5. please i need your help.

There are plenty of templates online, and you can pick the cheesy ones, or the ones that you prefer.
here is one that I normally use.

January 25, 2011

US CONSULATE XXXXX
Visas Section
Consulate address

RE: Invitation Letter and financial responsibility affidavit for US Visitor’s Visa for:
Aplicant’s name

To Whom It May Concern:

I, undersigned, your name, born Your DOB, naturalized American Citizen (see copy of citizenship certificate), and (Brother, Wife, etc)of Applicant’s name, born Applicant’s DOB, Place of residence: Applicant’s address
As such, it is my desire that my (Brother, Wife, etc) Applicant’s name visit me in the United States anytime in 20XX for any period of up to XX weeks.

During his/her visit, he/she will stay at my residence, located Your Address. Furthermore, I will be responsible for all living expenses while in The US, including temporary medical insurance and if needed, hospitalization. I will ensure his/her timely return to his/her residence in Applicant’s city and Country. I will assume the return travel expenses for his/her visit.

Should you have any questions or concerns requiring my attention, please contact me at any time at Your Phone # or by email at Your Email Address I sign this document in awareness of my legal liability for failure to comply with the above statement and in case of giving incorrect data.

Thank you for your attention to this matter and I appreciate your approval to this application.

Sincerely,

Your name

Filed: Timeline

Invitation letters carry little positive weight during a B2 interview. As one poster noted, few people invite a relative by pinpointing the exact arrival and departure dates. Moreover, no relative living in the US can 'ensure the timely departure' of the visiting relative or party, because no one has legal authority over another (only ICE can 'ensure' somebody's departure).

As to the illegal status of the inviter, well, that will likely be an issue...having the husband write an invite begs the question (to a VO) as to why this person is inviting somebody he doesn't know....unless he admits that he is married to their (illegal) daughter...and then more questions will be arriving. An invitation letter cannot bestow any unique status upon the bearer of said letter. VOs don't why somebody wants to go the US; they are only interested in determining why somebody would leave the US when they said they would.

Does my husband have to send invitation letter to my parents or to embassy if I used to be illegal in USA? The time he will (?) send them that invitation I'll be just on processing.. I want my parents to visit me, but since I can't invite them (again, I don't have GC yet, got married being illegal and now we are fixing my status) I think he can do that. Or in this case it's better not send any invitation and ask my parent to apply for B-2 visa by themselves? I'm afraid my illegal status can really affect all process of getting visa for my parents ;(

I wouldn't even bother. Here's why - when filling out DS-160, mom/dad has to specify you in the section asking if she has a daughter in the US - also includes your status. They'll see you overstayed and are adjusting status now - no visa for parents because of your actions.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

the above outcome is a virtual certainty....VOs take a dim view of illegal relatives....especially children (or adult children)...after all, the parents had to be in on this....perhaps even encouraged it....if the parents had objected vehemently at the outset, the adult child in question may have thought it over...also, sometimes these same parents attempt to get a visa a short time later, and 'forget' to mention they have an adult child in the US...the VOs can usually find out otherwise within moments using a variety of tools at their disposal...then, the parents' credibility will have been ruined....at any rate, none of this will be forgiven or forgotten because a third party drafts some invitation letter...even if said letter is filled with tear jerking prose in which the Illegal adult child claims to 'really miss her parents' and 'wants to see them badly' while claiming at the same time 'I really want to be legal'....that boat left the dock a long time ago.

• 4 years later...
Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Wanting to invite my boyfriend from Ethiopia to come visit me and my family in California this summer. My mother is having serious health issues and really want him to meet her ASAP. When inviting him do I bring this up or just invite to spend some time touring/site seeing?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated 

22 minutes ago, Jennmatt22 said:

Wanting to invite my boyfriend from Ethiopia to come visit me and my family in California this summer. My mother is having serious health issues and really want him to meet her ASAP. When inviting him do I bring this up or just invite to spend some time touring/site seeing?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated 

You dont do anything. You dont invite him.

He applies and goes to the interview. Whats going on in your life is no importance or relevance to anything. What is important is that he shows sufficient ties to his home country to overcome the assumption that he will not come back to his country.

And next time better to create your own topic instead of bumping a 7 year old one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2011 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.