KittyPollitt

The hoping not to be denied at Casablanca thread

753 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is this equally for both men and women?

I really am curious since this is the second post today about money....why would it matter so much?

Do you mean this under any circumstances?

Am also curious about something else since money seems to be an issue...... has anyone gotten or plan to get a pre-nup prior to marriage?

I would suggest thinking hard about the relationship whether it were a man or woman asking the USC for money. As to why it matters so much, I think it's one of the reddest of the red flags, especially in MENA relationships (male beneficiary, female USC) where the man is culturally expected and religiously required to be the provider. However, I do think the circumstances matter and I don't presume to know anyone's individual circumstances or relationship or SO better than they do! Using a MENA man as an example, maybe he's not a practicing Muslim, maybe he comes from a family where he is accustomed to seeing women support their men, maybe he is desperately poor and has zero options for handling a financial emergency, maybe he has every good intention of paying the USC back or supporting her once he's a resident and working here. There are a lot of "maybes" there but stranger things have happened....I can't speak to any particular situation, but generally speaking I think requests for money are more often than not bad news, so that's why I'd suggest thinking about the relationship. I'm not saying run for the hills because it MUST be fraud....I'm just suggesting, in my opinion (which is really worth nothing ;) ) to take a hard look at the relationship if money becomes an issue.

As for a pre-nup, I figured since we'll be doing a Muslim marriage contract we'd probably have some financial provisions either in the nikkah or in a separate legal document. I'm so broke at the moment it probably doesn't matter one way or another, though. B-)

I agree with much of Zaytoona's post.

I have also wondered if the CO's take the reverse into account - if they consider whether the USC would be with the Moroccan (in the same level of socioeconomic status, etc) if they were here in America. For example, it's often amazed me in cases where the USC female has gone to Morocco and paid for everything - rental cars, hotels or rental apartments, meals, and on and on and on - because the Moroccan man does not have the money. I've wondered why on earth they've flown across the world for this. If they were in a relationship with a man here would they be content paying for everything? And, so it's crossed my mind whether or not the CO takes something like that into account.

Also have wondered how much religious differences or similarities are considered by the CO.

Any thoughts?

Timeline

Another thing you should look at is this: If my MENA CO was born and raised in America, would he still be interested in me and would we be a good match?

I agreed with pretty much your entire post, especially this part. Obviously nothing is full-proof and there are always exceptions in both directions but I think that's a great starting point or rule of thumb.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Monica,

How are you doing? I know you were hoping to get back to Morocco and get married. How are you doing with the change of plans?

We are up in the air right now...i have no clue what we should. From what ppl on this topic r saying, it looks like the odds of reaffirmation are pretty much impossible :( So that would bring us to 3 options: wait and see what happens with this one, refile the K1, or marry & do the CR1. But with either option, I'm still wondering how do I find out the reason for the denial, because, from what i've read, the 1st denial will come up any route we take. :wacko: I've read the pinned link about 221(g), but i think i just got more confused...lol

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Monica :)

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Monica,

You might try pm'ing Kiyah. From what I've heard, she has done the most research on returned petitions. You might try emailing the consulate and asking them to outline the CO's specific concerns and reasons for returning the petition. Possibly say you're planning to continue on in the process and you need to be able to address their specific concerns. Or ask your senator's immigration person to do that. Either way, you could try pm'ing Kiyah to get her thoughts.

Many people have posted about MENA men typically not being interested in women who have children from previous relationships/marriages. Do you think that's something that the CO saw as a red flag, and if so, did your fiance address why this wasn't an issue for him?

Timeline

I have also wondered if the CO's take the reverse into account - if they consider whether the USC would be with the Moroccan (in the same level of socioeconomic status, etc) if they were here in America. For example, it's often amazed me in cases where the USC female has gone to Morocco and paid for everything - rental cars, hotels or rental apartments, meals, and on and on and on - because the Moroccan man does not have the money. I've wondered why on earth they've flown across the world for this. If they were in a relationship with a man here would they be content paying for everything? And, so it's crossed my mind whether or not the CO takes something like that into account.

Also have wondered how much religious differences or similarities are considered by the CO.

Any thoughts?

I wonder if the CO knows the woman paid for everything while in Morocco. I can't imagine it would help the couple's case if Casa found that out, since it goes so strongly against cultural norms. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that CO's will look at differences in education and income and social status but I don't remember for sure. I can't see why they wouldn't. It begs the question what the couple has in common, although I'd hope Casa would give them an opportunity to respond to that concern and show what common interests they have in spite of it.

I am also curious about the religious differences and similarities. I assume if the USC was Muslim long before meeting the Moroccan that would help their case, but I don't know if they look at recent converts and non-Muslims any differently. I'd also be interested in hearing others' opinions on that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We are up in the air right now...i have no clue what we should. From what ppl on this topic r saying, it looks like the odds of reaffirmation are pretty much impossible :( So that would bring us to 3 options: wait and see what happens with this one, refile the K1, or marry & do the CR1. But with either option, I'm still wondering how do I find out the reason for the denial, because, from what i've read, the 1st denial will come up any route we take. :wacko: I've read the pinned link about 221(g), but i think i just got more confused...lol

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Well Im so sorry to hear about what you had went through .My thoughts to you is cancel the K1 visa and get married and apply for CR1.It might take so long time till you will hear from USCIS .And i guess they will let it til its expire .

Good luck and my best wishes for ya .

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline

Monica,

You might try pm'ing Kiyah. From what I've heard, she has done the most research on returned petitions. You might try emailing the consulate and asking them to outline the CO's specific concerns and reasons for returning the petition. Possibly say you're planning to continue on in the process and you need to be able to address their specific concerns. Or ask your senator's immigration person to do that. Either way, you could try pm'ing Kiyah to get her thoughts.

Many people have posted about MENA men typically not being interested in women who have children from previous relationships/marriages. Do you think that's something that the CO saw as a red flag, and if so, did your fiance address why this wasn't an issue for him?

Hicham has tons of pics with him & his family with my daughter that were never looked at, and the only thing they asked about her was how old she is...so I don't know if they saw it as an issue...if they did, they didn't ask about it. And I've called & emailed the embassy to find out the reason and I was told they can't that info out by email or the phone, that I had to wait till it got to USCIS...ugg And I will remind my Senator's office about checking on the refusal reason.

1/2009 Met Online

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have also wondered if the CO's take the reverse into account - if they consider whether the USC would be with the Moroccan (in the same level of socioeconomic status, etc) if they were here in America.

Any thoughts?

:lol: you made me think back to my more recent relationships in America- my ex husband, the out of status Nepali pizza delivery guy, the Moroccan Wal Mart employee, the Moroccan autoclave operator who has a daughter with a girl he met in a club when she was 17... LOL I think I'm moving up in the world with this one!! :rofl:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Another thing you should look at is this: If my MENA CO was born and raised in America, would he still be interested in me and would we be a good match?

Zaytoona

I mean to say "SO" not "CO"

Another thing you should look at is this: If my MENA SO was born and raised in America, would he still be interested in me and would we be a good match?

I don't know how to edit!

moroccantea.jpg

Timeline

Another thing you should look at is this: If my MENA SO was born and raised in America, would he still be interested in me and would we be a good match?

I think u can only edit right after u post :) And the edit button is at the bottom of your post.

1/2009 Met Online

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Timeline

Poll on Cases returned to USCIS

Thanks to anybody who can add to the poll.

1/2009 Met Online

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Amen! This is totally my take on it - if you can't find a man in your own backyard what makes you think that you're sooooooo f'ing fabulous to someone 7,000 miles away. I swear, a greencard can give someone 3am love goggles. Just sayin'. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.