KittyPollitt

The hoping not to be denied at Casablanca thread

753 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'd still like to hear whether anyone has info about how many I-864's to file, although perhaps since that's a relatively new policy change no one has gotten that far yet. :)

How exactly does Casablanca schedule the interviews? Is there any input from the beneficiary? Specifically, can we reschedule or delay the interview by a few months? Monica, I believe you switched your interview date, did you feel like there was any negative impact of that? As I mentioned in my last post, my financial and employment situation is going to change in a few months. Going by the historical 6-8 months from filing to interview, we'll be in good shape by interview time, but I've read some posts where VSC is flying through petitions and sending them to the consulate in 1-2 months.

You'd file one I864 for yourself. If you have a cosponsor, they'd also file an I864. If your cosponsor is married and has filed taxes jointly, or comingles assets with their spouse, then the spouse needs to file an I864A. There are really detailed instructions for how it works on the forms themselves. I will call the consulate today and find out if they become legally binding when filed at the consular level, though I doubt they do for K1's because it specifically says on the forms that they are applied when people apply for permanent residency.

I did notice the corner of the form in my fiance's big envelope that they gave him for POE, so they're sending it along to USCIS in the States, where I'd guess it goes in the file until AOS.

I have no clue how Casa does scheduling. I'm sure you can call them and get an appointment rescheduled without much trouble, though I don't know if this can negatively effect the outcome of the interview.

Sarah

Timeline

Ok, so I called the consulate and asked about the I864. From the answers I got, I can come to a few conclusions, as follows: They apply the I864 at the consular level much like they do the I134- as a way to assure the intending immigrant's means of support in the US. However, the I864 submitted at the consular level WILL NOT be used at the AOS stage. Meaning, another I864 will have to be signed and submitted to USCIS. The fact that another I864 needs to be submitted at AOS leads me to believe, as I originally suspected, that the I864 submitted at the consulate is not legally binding, but they are using it to prove that someone is WILLING to sign a legally binding contract on the intending immigrant's behalf in the future.

So, don't piss off your cosponsor during the time between the visa interview and AOS, or you'll have to find another one, regardless of the previously signed I864! :D

Sarah

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The I-864 submitted at the AOS stage must be 'current' even if you use one for the K-1 interview.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'd still like to hear whether anyone has info about how many I-864's to file, although perhaps since that's a relatively new policy change no one has gotten that far yet. :)

How exactly does Casablanca schedule the interviews? Is there any input from the beneficiary? Specifically, can we reschedule or delay the interview by a few months? Monica, I believe you switched your interview date, did you feel like there was any negative impact of that? As I mentioned in my last post, my financial and employment situation is going to change in a few months. Going by the historical 6-8 months from filing to interview, we'll be in good shape by interview time, but I've read some posts where VSC is flying through petitions and sending them to the consulate in 1-2 months.

Yeah...we had to switch ours because of a delay of getting the passport. I think there was somewhat of a negative impact just because of bad timing. I know there was a fraud case reported to the Casa 2 weeks before our new interview, so I think they were more causious after that, because they seemed to be denying just about everybody right after that report. I could be wrong though...i don't know....cuz they did wait a month for the 2nd interview...i have no clue if it made a difference...lol :bonk:

Monica :)

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Timeline

What do you mean a fraud report? Who made the report, etc?

Someone cancelled their fiance's interview & reported them for fraud....he was talking to & seeing multiple women at once...looking for a visa. She's a friend of mine, so that's how I know.

1/2009 Met Online

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Timeline

Yikes! Thanks for explaining it. :)

No prob...shoulda thought that there could be many wayis to view "fraud report" lol

1/2009 Met Online

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am so sorry for our dear friend Sandra may God help you through this difficult time..but I have some news on my hubby's case..my brother-n-law may not be able to get a passport due to some child support issues..he tells me he has looked at other ways which would mean he may get a passport for like a year maybe six months..but there is that chance he may not get one at all..so I emailed Casa asking them if he is not able to get a passport what other options do we have...anyone know if our case will be okay while we sort this situation out..thanks so much B.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I assume your brother-in-law is acting as joint sponsor for your husband? As a joint sponsor, he needs to provide proof of USC or LPR.

This can be done through a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, green card or US passport.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

I'm sorry. I don't know. I don't understand the situation though. What does your brother-in-law's passport have to do with your case? Sorry, I'm not clear on the situation.

Well my brother-n-law is our co-sponsor and he is from Arizona..so I hope that is not the reason and the birth certificate can work..I pray pray with all my heart they email some good news..

Timeline

I assume your brother-in-law is acting as joint sponsor for your husband? As a joint sponsor, he needs to provide proof of USC or LPR.

This can be done through a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, green card or US passport.

I hope so I asked Casa if there was any other way to prove his citizenship..and yes he is our joint sponsor..thanks..

Timeline

I hope so I asked Casa if there was any other way to prove his citizenship..and yes he is our joint sponsor..thanks..

My co sponsors only had to provide their birth certificates.. And we did just fine..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.