MamaLove

Overstayed and married a US Citizen

26 posts in this topic

Hi there. is there someone out there who can give me Idea on what to do with my case? I overstayed my B1 visa for 2 years and now, just recently I married a US citizen and definitely this is not a "marriage of convenience" :no: do I need a lawyer? because I also declared back then on my B1 visa application form that I am married when in fact I was not. it was an ill advise from a friend working on a travel agency that I can pass the B1 visa interview if I declared that I'm married. Thanks a lot and have a good day. :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there. is there someone out there who can give me Idea on what to do with my case? I overstayed my B1 visa for 2 years and now, just recently I married a US citizen and definitely this is not a "marriage of convenience" :no: do I need a lawyer? because I also declared back then on my B1 visa application form that I am married when in fact I was not. it was an ill advise from a friend working on a travel agency that I can pass the B1 visa interview if I declared that I'm married. Thanks a lot and have a good day. :yes:

certainly not a K-1 fiance(e) visa which is the forum you posted this topic in...

You will need to adjust your status via an I-130/I-485...

moving this thread

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would get a consult from a lawyer.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

I also declared back then on my B1 visa application form that I am married when in fact I was not. it was an ill advise from a friend working on a travel agency that I can pass the B1 visa interview if I declared that I'm married. Thanks a lot and have a good day. :yes:

WOW.

Filed: Timeline

Actually they could be charged with Material Misrepresentation which would trigger a lifetime ban. Then they would need a hardship waiver to overcome the ban.

Why "Material" Misrepresentation instead of just misrepresentation? Well because the "I'm married in my home country" statement is used to prove strong ties back home. If the B-Visa issuance hinged upon that strong tie then they misrepresented a material fact that swayed the decision to issue the Visa.

Very good point, that was my point as well...but I did not know that there was a difference between misrep and material misrep....thanks for teaching me something new today!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I will go with what everyone said earlier, get top notch immigration lawyer and get ready to shell out money and get ready to lose peace of your mind.

It’s not just the question of AOS, but it’s a fraud – that you blatantly lied to obtain B1 Visa.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Deer sweet pea:

In my opinion the only chance you have, is that some how, they do not connect the dots. I'm not so sure how strong the relationship is, between the form you filled out for your tourist visa (DS-156) and the forms used in the immigrant visa process DS-230. Do NVC or embassy people compare both forms and its information for accuracy ans consistency? .... this is the key question. Are those 2 forms linked in a systematical way, so that interviewers follow rules to compare them always?

May be someone here can give us some inside on this question.

Deer sweet pea:

In my opinion the only chance you have, is that some how, they do not connect the dots. I'm not so sure how strong the relationship is, between the form you filled out for your tourist visa (DS-156) and the forms used in the immigrant visa process DS-230. Do NVC or embassy people compare both forms and its information for accuracy ans consistency? .... this is the key question. Are those 2 forms linked in a systematical way, so that interviewers follow rules to compare them always?

Hint, immigration does use computer to store and process files. They do not keep paper files as trails. They do have systems that compare business rules against the intent action of an application.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Deer sweet pea:

Do you think they dont connect dots, when they ask you for all your previous visits to US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.