Juliet and Steve

Minimum income requirements if in college?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

In 2010 I filed married jointly (divorced January 2010 and no, not a "rush back in," we split up in 1998 but delayed divorce until we could sort out the apartment house such that I became the sole owner) but my income attributable to the filing for 2010 and for 2009 was pretty much the same for my RN salary, about $54k each year. I've been at the same job for almost three years.

As long as the petition reaches the embassy this year, they will look at 2010 income, so you should be fine.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Correction: BKK does not usually allow cosponsors for K1s. If you plan on using a cosponsor, you should strongly consider getting married and going the CR-1 route instead. BKK accepts cosponsors for CR1s.

Correct. In two K 1 cases I helped with BKK did allow co sponsors. Those were both students. In general BKK doesnt allow co sponsors for K 1 s.

Thank you.

So even if returning to college is the best, and most rational decision, and even if I own my house with no mortgage and have plenty of savings/assets it sounds like a "no-go."

If this is the case, is the "other way" (remember I am truly new to all this) getting married in Thailand an option that will allow me to do the college route? Or must I wait a year on college, and take a job (which I can get but which is out of my career path) to meet the income requirements.

My 2011 filing in April for 2010 will show a net income of over $50k, but 2011's income will, most likely show only unemployment benefits which I assume is not usable.

Let's use this as a scenario: Let's say that in September of this year I take a contract position that earns $60k/year (outside of my residential area) so immediately I'm back in the "financial capable" ballpark, but now...how long must I be in that job to meet the requirements.

note: If this sort of scenario is covered elsewhere I'll be happy to take a hint as to where to find it... again, thank you.

I don't reccomend doing this but, there is one way that you can get around this. I had to do it because my job screwed me by paying me in cash, only putting down that I made 3,000 in a year (and I worked a year and earned 1600 or more every month), the owners are nice people and I had to do it because they lost a lot of money from the business and wanted to keep it open... What I did was I ammended my taxes by the difference that I needed ( so about 13,ooo or so) so I could make the poverty line. The downside is that I owe the irs about 3 grand, but I'm paying it off 50 bucks a month and when my husband gets here, he'd help me pay the rest... I guess it's sort of a fee you can look into. I know you're in college and if you have a loan, I know that you're probably thinking that you're already in a deep hole as it is. But if you truly think the person you love is worth it, then it's one way to go. I did this because my parents sort of disowned me and did not want to help me with the affidavit of support, as for other family members, they are all in el salvador. And I go to college too! haha, so like I said, it's one way to go, and now I'm in the last step where my husband's interview is next month, so it worked!

Good luck! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't reccomend doing this but, there is one way that you can get around this. I had to do it because my job screwed me by paying me in cash, only putting down that I made 3,000 in a year (and I worked a year and earned 1600 or more every month), the owners are nice people and I had to do it because they lost a lot of money from the business and wanted to keep it open... What I did was I ammended my taxes by the difference that I needed ( so about 13,ooo or so) so I could make the poverty line. The downside is that I owe the irs about 3 grand, but I'm paying it off 50 bucks a month and when my husband gets here, he'd help me pay the rest... I guess it's sort of a fee you can look into. I know you're in college and if you have a loan, I know that you're probably thinking that you're already in a deep hole as it is. But if you truly think the person you love is worth it, then it's one way to go. I did this because my parents sort of disowned me and did not want to help me with the affidavit of support, as for other family members, they are all in el salvador. And I go to college too! haha, so like I said, it's one way to go, and now I'm in the last step where my husband's interview is next month, so it worked!

Good luck! :thumbs:

Did the IRS put a lien on you? They did me. When my wife showed up at the interview they said since my income was 18,500 and I owed the IRS 10,000, my income was only 8500. I was on a payment plan with them and the consulate didn't care.

One thing that was odd is NVC completed my case and didn't say a word. It all came out at the interview when they gave my wife 221g.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First, the amount of money you need to earn depends on a couple of factors. Do you have any dependent? Is it just your fiancee? Assuming it's just you and her that's a 2 person household so you need to earn $18,212.

You've been told NO to co-sponsor as a K1 but you mentioned you have rental property income and where to find that information. You wrote $26K so again, assuming it's just you and your fiancee that exceeds the requirements. Even if that income didn't count it appears from your posts that your assets exceed the requirements.

With the K1 you will use the I-134 for proving support but when you get to the Adjustment of Status part (once she's here and you're married) you would use the I-864. The I-864 has a LOT more information in the instructions such as how to calculate household size, how assets are used/calculated etc so I would personally read the instructions for that to get a better grip on the income stuff. Here's the I-864 instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf now remember this is NOT the form you use but the financial information is much better explained in this forms instructions. The I-134 is for the K1.

You also asked how long you need to be in a job for it to be counted, it doesn't matter how long you've been in the job, as long as your income is good enough. Realistically though if you've only been working there a month but your tax return says you earnt next to nothing in the previous year it wouldn't look so good. Seeing that you are going to be attending college, still earning income, have good previous income, it will be apparent that you aren't a "bum" but are instead working to get BETTER income and that your current income meets and exceeds the levels anyway so it won't look as bad.. make sense?

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.