PoloNiks

Filipina wife issues....advice please...

176 posts in this topic

Wow. You mean I did not have to pick up the tab that first night in Manila when it was suggested I meet the family at a Chinese restaurant? That was the scariest evening in my entire life. I knew I was in good with dad when he hailed a cab to take me and my future bride back to hotel.

Wow, ain't you a lucky bloke! Did he not ask for a dowry before rendering his acquiescence to his daughter's hotel rendezvous with a complete stranger on the first night of acquaintance? :whistle:

juanluna.jpg

"Ensueños de Amor", por Juan Luna

Filed: Timeline

Wow, ain't you a lucky bloke! Did he not ask for a dowry before rendering his acquiescence to his daughter's hotel rendezvous with a complete stranger on the first night of acquaintance? :whistle:

She told her parents, in no uncertain terms, she was not about to leave me alone to wander about Manila on my own. :lol:

She told her parents, in no uncertain terms, she was not about to leave me alone to wander about Manila on my own. :lol:

I'd reckon she wanted to keep you by herself, rather than you being kept by some lap dancer in Baclaran. :star:

juanluna.jpg

I'd reckon she wanted to keep you by herself, rather than you being kept by some lap dancer in Baclaran. :star:

Pretty smart them Pinay! :yes:

ETA: She holds me tight anytime we go out. At first I thought it was because she was scared. Now I know it is so I can't get away. :P

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow. You mean I did not have to pick up the tab that first night in Manila when it was suggested I meet the family at a Chinese restaurant? That was the scariest evening in my entire life. I knew I was in good with dad when he hailed a cab to take me and my future bride back to hotel.

I'm not talking about some ironclad Filipino rule of social behavior. Perhaps it's just my own sense of what's due him as an invited guest of the family. If I was the one visiting his family, or other relatives/friends abroad for that matter,I'd certainly expect to be treated likewise, to the extent that it's not unduly inconveniencing the host/hostess.

Grace

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The OP has resolution to his issue - why you fellas using his topic to 'compare notes' and play oneupmanship now ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

The OP has resolution to his issue - why you fellas using his topic to 'compare notes' and play oneupmanship now ?

Listen, pal, it's none of your damn business! :devil:

juanluna.jpg

Timeline

I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe you're saying we should split off to a new thread or something.

Thing is, this journey is a rich experience that resonates differently with different people, sometimes in ways incidental only to the main conversation, though probably no less significant.

Like I don't really have anything new to say to the OP that haven't been said by others and better, but I do have pretty precise views about some of the things mentioned only in passing, like the question of who spends for what in a particular fiance situation, that I'm guessing is not widely shared or even considered. I thought,what better time to say it. Someone out there might need to hear it.

Grace

Edited by graceroxas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So, back to the previous non-topic tangent about land ownership... that was this thread right? I think I started that bit.

It was mentioned that former citizens can own a certain quantity of land.

Are there any specific rules to land ownership for this scenario:

Filipino citizen buys property in the Philippines, in excess of that amount that is "allowed" to be owned by former citizens.

Filipino citizen becomes American citizen. (this is when Filipino citizenship is "lost", yes?)

Former Filipino citizen obtains dual citizenship as soon as possible.

And how about this scenario:

Former Filipino citizen obtains dual citizenship.

Dual citizen buys property in the Philippines.

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

So, back to the previous non-topic tangent about land ownership... that was this thread right? I think I started that bit.

It was mentioned that former citizens can own a certain quantity of land.

Are there any specific rules to land ownership for this scenario:

Filipino citizen buys property in the Philippines, in excess of that amount that is "allowed" to be owned by former citizens.

Filipino citizen becomes American citizen. (this is when Filipino citizenship is "lost", yes?)

Former Filipino citizen obtains dual citizenship as soon as possible.

And how about this scenario:

Former Filipino citizen obtains dual citizenship.

Dual citizen buys property in the Philippines.

According to the wife, the three hectare limit applies to citizens as well. That just means you will have to make lots of sons and daughters if you want more farm land. :whistle:

Timeline

According to the wife, the three hectare limit applies to citizens as well. That just means you will have to make lots of sons and daughters if you want more farm land. :whistle:

Or make a lot of friends you can trust to act as "dummy" owners for you. Kinda risky though but it is done. When I was helping a friend scout for vacation property to buy, I was told that the whole lake coastline near our place is virtually Korean and Japanese turf, though I doubt if the land titles will reflect that.

Grace

Or make a lot of friends you can trust to act as "dummy" owners for you. Kinda risky though but it is done. When I was helping a friend scout for vacation property to buy, I was told that the whole lake coastline near our place is virtually Korean and Japanese turf, though I doubt if the land titles will reflect that.

Grace

You have to be careful of family as well. My wife's maternal grandfather had 90 hectares before the land reform was passed under Corrie Aquino (?). He sold various hectares to make expenses until he only had about 5 hectares left. All the remaining land was divided among his heirs, who quickly sold that land as well. Even her mom sold her land to pay tuition for her four children.

You have to be careful of family as well. My wife's maternal grandfather had 90 hectares before the land reform was passed under Corrie Aquino (?). He sold various hectares to make expenses until he only had about 5 hectares left. All the remaining land was divided among his heirs, who quickly sold that land as well. Even her mom sold her land to pay tuition for her four children.

The Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Law ("CARL") that was enacted during Cory Aquino's regime was a big time farce. Such reform law provided that landowners that were corporations were exempt from distributing land. Instead, these corporations were required to distribute shares of their stocks to the tenants.

Yes, Virginia. Hacienda Luisita, owned by the Cojuanco/Aquino clan of Tarlac, was reorganized as a corporation before the enactment of CARL. Hence, the hacienda's tenants never received pieces of land. Instead, they received pieces of paper, worthless stock certificates that never distributed dividends to its holders.

That shows how big an anomaly Cory Aquino was. And the current president, Cory's heir, is even worse.

juanluna.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.