messi

Filing taxes on AOS status

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

According to the IRS, for the year 2010 I could file as a resident or as a non-resident, however, on the instructions to file for an I-131 (advance parole) I read that if you are an alien who has established residence, having been admitted as immigrant or adjustment of status, and file as a non-resident or fail to file, you may regarded as having abandoned residence.

So it is not very clear to me if the IRS allows you to file as a non-resident and the USCIS tells you not to, when you are on AOS, waiting for greencard.

Any ideas, experiences?

thanks,

April 23 2010 -- I-129f sent

April 27 2010 -- check cashed, NOA1 dated

Aug 2, 2010 -- touched

Aug 13, 2010 -- date of NOA2, I-129F approved

Aug 17, 2010 -- NVC sent application to embassy

Sept 2, 2010 -- Medical

Sept 7, 2010 -- Receive checklist from embassy

Sept 7, 2010 -- Hand-deliver packet to embassy

Sept 30, 2010 -- Receive notice of interview date

Oct. 4, 2010 -- Interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-131 is used for several purposes, one being a travel doc, for a green-card holder who needs to remain out of the country for 1 to 2 years, it is telling them to NEVER claim they are a NON-Resident while having a green-card, as in while they are out of the USA for 1-2 years using the travel doc, the doc will not protect the green-card if they claim non-resident while out of the USA.

If you are not yet a green-card holder, you are a NON-resident, and CAN claim that on the 2010 return, you wer not a green-card holder "resident" for the year 2010, however if you did have green-card before end of 2010, then will need to file as a resident for 2010.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

as far as i know you can claim yourself as a resident even if you dont have a green card. its different to be a resident, than to be a resident "for tax purposes".

I have been working in the US on J1 and H2B visas and always filed as a resident before, never had a problem, always get all my money back! :)

I would recommend you to double check though as our situations might be different.

as1cHs-0g410510MDAwMTA1NHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwndmUgYmVlbiBtYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

According to the IRS, for the year 2010 I could file as a resident or as a non-resident, however, on the instructions to file for an I-131 (advance parole) I read that if you are an alien who has established residence, having been admitted as immigrant or adjustment of status, and file as a non-resident or fail to file, you may regarded as having abandoned residence.

So it is not very clear to me if the IRS allows you to file as a non-resident and the USCIS tells you not to, when you are on AOS, waiting for greencard.

Any ideas, experiences?

thanks,

You can elect to be treated as a Resident Alien for U.S. Income Tax purposes if you file a joint return with your husband and attach an election statement with your return. Look at page 10 of IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. Here is a link for the 2009 version of the publication:

Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

Filed: Other Timeline

Resident, unless you are not residing in the US.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You can elect to be treated as a Resident Alien for U.S. Income Tax purposes if you file a joint return with your husband and attach an election statement with your return. Look at page 10 of IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. Here is a link for the 2009 version of the publication:

Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens

That's what we are doing! And I can't wait for the refund :dance:

Sorry for a potential threadjack, but my situation's a little different... We married in 2010, AOS was approved in 2011. She didn't work in 2010, so will I file as married filing jointly, even though she had no taxable income (actually, there may be a few cents in interest on a bank account) and she didn't have legal resident status during the year?

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry for a potential threadjack, but my situation's a little different... We married in 2010, AOS was approved in 2011. She didn't work in 2010, so will I file as married filing jointly, even though she had no taxable income (actually, there may be a few cents in interest on a bank account) and she didn't have legal resident status during the year?

Your wife can also elect to be treated as a Resident Alien by filing a joint tax return with you and attaching the election statement. She will be taxed on her worldwide income but if it is earned income (wages, salary, commissions, etc.) then she can see if she is entitled to the Foreign Income Exclusion.

Taxable income for a spouse doesn't matter. You can file jointly. Your other option of Married Filing Separately will, in most cases, result in higher taxes.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved from AOS forum to "Moving Here and Your New Life in America" forum as a more appropriate location for this topic

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.