jb&np

First trip to Ukraine

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Brad, I have avoided the stinky fish thing up until now. Her friend Inna told her about an international food store. We went there and we found red caviar from Kamchatka for $11 for 5 ounces and "salutka." I hope I said that right. I did put my foot down on the stinky fish. Once opened, it would be placed in a ziploc freezer bag, sealed. I have read too many times about you talking of the plates of salutka sitting around the house. The dried, stinky fish made my Veka excited. So far, so good with it for me.

I did have to eat some carp over in Kharkov. It was the whole fish, minus guts, served cold. NASTY. Oh yes, after I choked down the first bit I was dancing and some son of a beach slipped more onto my plate. To this day if I find that Russki, the cold war is back on. Luckily, there was enough pivo and shots for me to survive round 2 with no hurling of chunks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When you know... you know. "Will you marry me?"

I had a friend that met his wife at a concert...she was throwing up into a big garbage barrel. They were actually a really good match!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

Vika does this stuff too :lol: I am finally to the point where I can sit at the same table while she chews fish fins, and can smell the stinky fish. Who says you can't teach an old, fat, bald dog a new trick :rofl:

I just try not to look...not sure I'll ever get used to it! =)

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I guess I am the luckiest man.....my wife hates stinky fish!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Brad, I have avoided the stinky fish thing up until now. Her friend Inna told her about an international food store. We went there and we found red caviar from Kamchatka for $11 for 5 ounces and "salutka." I hope I said that right. I did put my foot down on the stinky fish. Once opened, it would be placed in a ziploc freezer bag, sealed. I have read too many times about you talking of the plates of salutka sitting around the house. The dried, stinky fish made my Veka excited. So far, so good with it for me.

I did have to eat some carp over in Kharkov. It was the whole fish, minus guts, served cold. NASTY. Oh yes, after I choked down the first bit I was dancing and some son of a beach slipped more onto my plate. To this day if I find that Russki, the cold war is back on. Luckily, there was enough pivo and shots for me to survive round 2 with no hurling of chunks.

The stinky fish is an ongoing war in this house. I have not gotten used to it. She leaves it on the kitchen counter and I can smell it when I come in the house. Acccckkkkkkkkk! She puts opened fish in the refrigerator uncovered and the whole refrigerator stinks. I can tolerate the unwrapped onions and garlic and I can find covers for everything else that is put in there uncovered but the stinky fish is too much. I got used to everything else and have gotten over things they taught me about foodborne pathogens...but no way, the fish is not negotiable. when one of her Russian friends has been here I can expect to find pieces of fish on plates all over the place. They make a party of eating that sh*t! There will also be raisins and nuts and cheese, wine (of course) fruits, white crackers with no flavor, tomatoes. I want to say "Where is the beenie-weenies????!!!! How about some Frito scoops with chili and cheese?" Fortunately it is usually when I am not home, or in good weather she goes outside and sits on the deck.

what do you mean you "had to eat..." No effin' way. I would starve to death first. :P

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Red cavier is salmon eggs. You can buy it in any bait shop. Trout bait.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Mila doesn't do the dried stinky fish, but she SO loves her little stinky fish sammies for breakfast. And then can't understand why I won't kiss her til she brushes.

She thinks I'm a wimp because I don't like picking bones out of EVERY effin bite when I do eat fish (cooked and still warm), but I told her "look, we can buy a whole fish and I'll SHOW you how to cut a boneless fillet, but until then I'll eat something that won't puncture my guts." That's when I usually get "the look" and we change the subject. :rofl:

But for the OP, I will echo the rest of the lads here. Ukraine is a wonderful place to be. And btw, it's Ukraine not "THE" Ukraine. True, they aren't up to the US (or most of the West) in many areas, but most homes have the usual modern conveniences and everyone seems to survive just fine. If you insist on coffee with out "mud" grab a bag of filters before you leave though. Nescafe Gold isn't bad if you can deal with instant. The public toilets I've used here are modern and clean, but I haven't ventured too far off the beaten path. The most disgusting ones I've seen were in Russia when I was there 2 years ago. After that we're talking the train potties where there's always a group of MORONS that have the crazy idea they can whizz with the seat down while the train is rockin and rollin because their aim so so superior to anyone else. Best advise there is wait for the station to "cop a squat".

Stinky fish aside, the food here is awesome. Don't be afraid to try anything.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Timeline

Mila doesn't do the dried stinky fish, but she SO loves her little stinky fish sammies for breakfast. And then can't understand why I won't kiss her til she brushes.

She thinks I'm a wimp because I don't like picking bones out of EVERY effin bite when I do eat fish (cooked and still warm), but I told her "look, we can buy a whole fish and I'll SHOW you how to cut a boneless fillet, but until then I'll eat something that won't puncture my guts." That's when I usually get "the look" and we change the subject. :rofl:

But for the OP, I will echo the rest of the lads here. Ukraine is a wonderful place to be. And btw, it's Ukraine not "THE" Ukraine. True, they aren't up to the US (or most of the West) in many areas, but most homes have the usual modern conveniences and everyone seems to survive just fine. If you insist on coffee with out "mud" grab a bag of filters before you leave though. Nescafe Gold isn't bad if you can deal with instant. The public toilets I've used here are modern and clean, but I haven't ventured too far off the beaten path. The most disgusting ones I've seen were in Russia when I was there 2 years ago. After that we're talking the train potties where there's always a group of MORONS that have the crazy idea they can whizz with the seat down while the train is rockin and rollin because their aim so so superior to anyone else. Best advise there is wait for the station to "cop a squat".

To be honest I wouldn't even think of going to a resort in Ukraine, there is far too much fun and good food to be had in just any normal city for a lot less money

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I must be the exception here. My fiancee hates the stinky fish, and I love it! I made the mistake of telling her mother how much I loved the stuff, and she bought a whole package just for me. I like the stinky fish, but not enough to eat 1 kilo, hahaha

08/03/2010 - I-129F sent to VSC, Re-routed to Dallas

08/13/2010 - Check Cashed

08/16/2010 - NOA1 Received (NOA1 Date 08/11/2010)

- Called to change Country of Birth from "Unknown" to "Ukraine"

08/17/2010 - "Touched" (assuming to change Country of Birth)

08/18/2010 - "Touched"

10/03/2010 - "Touched" (Part of the VSC mass-touch)

01/25/2011 - Flew to Ukraine to be with Mila after WAY too long a wait

01/28/2011 - NOA2 Email Recieved!!! (Nice to get it together :))

02/03/2011 - NOA2 Letter Recieved

02/11/2011 - NVC Letter Recieved (Dated 02/08/2011)

03/15/2011 - INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!!!

03/18/2011 - VISA in hand

03/27/2011 - POE - JFK

Timeline

See...this is just one of those universal laws. There must always be a non-stinky-fish-eater in a relationship to be repulsed by the stinky-fish-eater.

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

First off you will like Ukraine. I have been there about 20 times and I have been a lot of different places and it's great. As one poster already mentioned, it's not "the" Ukraine. Lots of people say that. I did it for my first few years and I even saw a major network news announcer say it but that is incorrect. It is just Ukraine.

The cabins in the Carpathian Mountains look great. I have been in the Carpathains but not in the part that is in Ukraine and they are very beautiful and the cabin prices seem reasonable. Are you going to any of the cities in Ukraine. I love Kiev and Dneper. Some places like Zaparosia are depressing but most are really nice. Have a great trip and tell us about it when you get back.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

But for the OP, I will echo the rest of the lads here. Ukraine is a wonderful place to be. And btw, it's Ukraine not "THE" Ukraine.

Way to go Tnic. I don't know how many times we've tried to correct people that it is UKRAINE. Even asking them if they are from The America or have been to The France or The Germany doesn't seem to have much of an effect. We have so many movies say we are visiting or going to The Ukraine. I guess the soviet line of "We get our grains and breads from The Ukraine" for about 60 years really sunk into everyone's subconscious.

And, I'm with you about the food, except for salty, stinky fish. :crying:

Okay, now back to our regular programming. The lovely ladies walking down the street, in the cafes and shops, etc. :bonk:

Timeline

Way to go Tnic. I don't know how many times we've tried to correct people that it is UKRAINE. Even asking them if they are from The America or have been to The France or The Germany doesn't seem to have much of an effect. We have so many movies say we are visiting or going to The Ukraine. I guess the soviet line of "We get our grains and breads from The Ukraine" for about 60 years really sunk into everyone's subconscious.

Okay, now back to our regular programming. The lovely ladies walking down the street, in the cafes and shops, etc. :bonk:

I have almost given up in the battke to correct "the Ukraine" Sorry. I should not surrender!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's a never ending battle isn't it Gary?

But hey, I'm in "the" Crimea and the weather is getting warmer already and there more and more click, click, click on the by-ways and it's just SO nice to sit at a sunny sidewalk cafe, sip a chai (or pivo) and watch the parade. :innocent:

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.