16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am a little worried. Valentina and I were married on Dec 3rd, we filed for AOS on Dec 15th. Now I want to put her on my bank account. Our problem now is we cannot get a state id or drivers license because her I94 in her passport has expired. I thought that since we are adjusting status and have the NOA paperwork we could get her state id and add her to my bank account but no luck with anything. I was told I would have to wait until she gets her green card but if we cannot have a joint account then we might problems at the interview. Any ideas?

Lena got a bank account with just a SSN and marriage license. I think banks have different policies though.

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

All states require SSN for applying for a driver's license and most require evidence of legal presence, (EAD, green-card, or an I-94 valid 1 year or longer)

Many banks ask for SSN to be added to account.

K-1 can get a SSN within 75 days of entry, after that and will have to wait for EAD or green-card to apply for SSN.

They know at the AOS interview you have not had enough time to develope things like joint accounts etc.. This will not be a problem. You will have 2 years after AOS to develop this for removal of conditions

This is not a Philippines topic, I will move it to AOS forum..

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

People have more success walking in the bank than trying to create an account online. It doesn't matter what her SS card says. Don't even show the card, just memorize the number or write it down somewhere to get it correct on the account application.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

People have more success walking in the bank than trying to create an account online. It doesn't matter what her SS card says. Don't even show the card, just memorize the number or write it down somewhere to get it correct on the account application.

Once in a while with very newly minted SSN the number is so new and in a series that is not on a table published quarterly that the bank wont accept the number because that series is not yet on the table.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband banks with Wells Fargo - they allowed me to be added to his bank account the day after I arrived in the USA and I had no SSN at the time. They added me in my maiden name and then after the wedding we went back with a copy of the marriage certificate and they changed the name to my married name :) Was really easy - they give great customer service.

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Filed: Other Timeline

Banking does not require a SSN or a Green Card. I have stated it many times and I state it again:

You can be an oil sheik from Saudia Arabia, living on a yacht that anchors in Monaco, and transfer millions of dollars from one of your accounts in Zürich or Lichtenstein to one of your accounts in New York or Miami without ever having visited the United States. Imagine that everybody who would want to engage in business transaction had to get a Green Card or SSN . . . business as we know it came to a shrieking halt.

Banking has everything to do with money, and nothing, absolutely nothing to do with immigration.

The fact that some brain dead bank drone told you so doesn't mean it's true. Go to another bank.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline

we do have a ssn with the restriction fro DHS stamped on it. I tried with chase bank, maybe I will try with another.

Thanks

We had this problem 2 weeks ago. The first bank refused to open accounts for us because my husband's SSN has the DHS stamp, I tried explaining... but nothing. Went to Chase the next day, and had no problem opening the account's there for both of us. What we did instead of giving them his SS card, we gave them the number, and 2 pieces of ID, his passport and a state ID ( I know you don't have the last one), does the Immigrant have an ID issued from the country they are in, like a driver's license that has their picture on it?

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I can only tell you of my experience in NC. First, we were able to open a joint account once Veka received her SSN. Now, for the drivers license. She was able to receive her learners permit a few weeks after she arrived. The expiration date on that was the date when Veka's I-94 expired. We did a K1. The state of North Carolina would not let her get a drivers license without her green card or EAD. They wanted to see something with an expiration date. After talking to a few people, I explained that she was still in legal status, just pending AOS. They then asked for her I-797's NOA1s for AOS and EAD. Also needed a copy of our marriage liscense. They then took the copies and reviewed them. This took two weeks. Eventually decided that Veka was just waiting on ducuments, was her legally, was doing things correctly, etc. They let her take her driving test, she passed. Here is the only stipulation. The expiration date on her license was 6 months out. They said once she received her EAD or green card, just come back and renew her license. NC will only give an expiration date on a license that matches an expiration date on an immigration document from Homeland Security. It was a hassle, but worth it, to explain about the K1 being in a grey area while we were adjusting status. I have a friend in KY that had a similar experience with his wife. I know each state is different, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Try bank of America as long as u a citizen u can add ur wife on ur account, my husband did mines and I don't have a ssn yet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

we do have a ssn with the restriction fro DHS stamped on it. I tried with chase bank, maybe I will try with another.

Thanks

Bank of America is a good one.. and we did have a joint bank account and they still made it an issue at our AOS interview....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I can only tell you of my experience in NC. First, we were able to open a joint account once Veka received her SSN. Now, for the drivers license. She was able to receive her learners permit a few weeks after she arrived. The expiration date on that was the date when Veka's I-94 expired. We did a K1. The state of North Carolina would not let her get a drivers license without her green card or EAD. They wanted to see something with an expiration date. After talking to a few people, I explained that she was still in legal status, just pending AOS. They then asked for her I-797's NOA1s for AOS and EAD. Also needed a copy of our marriage liscense. They then took the copies and reviewed them. This took two weeks. Eventually decided that Veka was just waiting on ducuments, was her legally, was doing things correctly, etc. They let her take her driving test, she passed. Here is the only stipulation. The expiration date on her license was 6 months out. They said once she received her EAD or green card, just come back and renew her license. NC will only give an expiration date on a license that matches an expiration date on an immigration document from Homeland Security. It was a hassle, but worth it, to explain about the K1 being in a grey area while we were adjusting status. I have a friend in KY that had a similar experience with his wife. I know each state is different, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Im glad she got it, when in doubt just look up the "fact sheet" on the dmv website for your state and it will state what you need to apply for if you are an alien resident. The folks in PA were shocked when we came prepared with it in our hands... they have no choice but to go by the rules.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.