Pejo

Determining CR-1 Is Best Choice

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My Fiancee and I are just about to get married and begin the paperwork for our immigration. I have been following this forum for about 7 months now and felt I had a good idea of what needs to be done for this process. I hadn't planned on using an immigration lawyer; however, we get free consultation due to her Mother working at Microsoft. After talking to him, I ran into a conflict of information.

We were discussing the different ways of being able to immigrate into the US. The first option was for us to marry, for me to remain in Canada and to have her fill out the I-130 and file that. During this time, it would be quite difficult for me to travel to the US; however, after this is done, I'll have my full green card and will not have to worry about EAD and APA's. This is the standard CR-1 process if I am correct. The second option which her family is heavily leaning towards is for me to wait until August (Graduating University) to travel down there, we'd get married and I'd stay there while we file the I-130 and immediately file for an Adjustment of Status. In this time, I would be unable to travel back or get work until my EAD goes through. I am pretty sure this is Visa Fraud because of intent when we interview at NVC and will lead to a lot more trouble than it is worth but I need to be sure. I just don't understand why an immigration lawyer would recommend this.

Little bit of background: My fiancee is American and I am Canadian. We have been dating for 4 and a half years and I just proposed to her. I have been traveling back and forth from the US with very little trouble atleast once a month for a week or so since we started dating. I don't feel we are in a time crunch since I will be in school until the end of August and will be unable to travel to the US until it is complete (which should be fine due to the time it takes for paperwork). She will be moving out in September to begin school so she is worried that she may live alone for a while. The immigration lawyer stated this would take 1 year to complete.

Thanks for reading, and any feedback is greatly appreciated. I was all ready to start filling out the I-130 until I spoke to him.

Steve

K1 Visa Timeline

01-27-2011: NOA1!

02-22-2011: NOA2!

03-14-2011: Packet 3 Filled Out. Delayed Interview until closer to POE, August.

08-09-2011: Interview at 10am!

08-19-2011: POE

08-21-2011: Married

AOS

08-25-2011: Sent AOS Packet with EAD & AP

08-29-2011: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

09-29-2011: Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My Fiancee and I are just about to get married and begin the paperwork for our immigration. I have been following this forum for about 7 months now and felt I had a good idea of what needs to be done for this process. I hadn't planned on using an immigration lawyer; however, we get free consultation due to her Mother working at Microsoft. After talking to him, I ran into a conflict of information.

We were discussing the different ways of being able to immigrate into the US. The first option was for us to marry, for me to remain in Canada and to have her fill out the I-130 and file that. During this time, it would be quite difficult for me to travel to the US; however, after this is done, I'll have my full green card and will not have to worry about EAD and APA's. This is the standard CR-1 process if I am correct. The second option which her family is heavily leaning towards is for me to wait until August (Graduating University) to travel down there, we'd get married and I'd stay there while we file the I-130 and immediately file for an Adjustment of Status. In this time, I would be unable to travel back or get work until my EAD goes through. I am pretty sure this is Visa Fraud because of intent when we interview at NVC and will lead to a lot more trouble than it is worth but I need to be sure. I just don't understand why an immigration lawyer would recommend this.

Little bit of background: My fiancee is American and I am Canadian. We have been dating for 4 and a half years and I just proposed to her. I have been traveling back and forth from the US with very little trouble atleast once a month for a week or so since we started dating. I don't feel we are in a time crunch since I will be in school until the end of August and will be unable to travel to the US until it is complete (which should be fine due to the time it takes for paperwork). She will be moving out in September to begin school so she is worried that she may live alone for a while. The immigration lawyer stated this would take 1 year to complete.

Thanks for reading, and any feedback is greatly appreciated. I was all ready to start filling out the I-130 until I spoke to him.

Steve

Play it safe, it is not worth a finding is misprepresentation and a possible lifetime ban from the US

Oh, and no one interviews at NVC

Follow the guides for a CR-1 visa if you wish to marry. Do not give into parental pressure

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

You may also file now for a Fiance visa

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I really appreciate the quick response. Looking at the times of the K1, it does seem to be a month quicker on average. I don't think the extra month will be worth the additional hassle of filling out all the additional paperwork once I get there instead of just doing the CR-1. Is that time pretty accurate, 6 months? I tried to click on the link for current time trends but it is currently unavailable. From what I have read from this forum and by looking at signatures, most average 8 - 11 motnhs from beginning to end for CR1. I'll have to speak again to the lawyer and bring up the legality of his option because I do not want to mess this up.

Steve

K1 Visa Timeline

01-27-2011: NOA1!

02-22-2011: NOA2!

03-14-2011: Packet 3 Filled Out. Delayed Interview until closer to POE, August.

08-09-2011: Interview at 10am!

08-19-2011: POE

08-21-2011: Married

AOS

08-25-2011: Sent AOS Packet with EAD & AP

08-29-2011: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

09-29-2011: Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A K-1 will get you together quicker than a CR-1, but there are more steps and it costs more. Don't play fast and loose with immigration by getting married here and pretending it was spontaneous.

Try this:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're looking at 8 - 14 months from start to finish. Although Montreal is getting better, it currently has a backlog of petitions that require interviews for. Our process took 10 months. Go on over to the Canada forum for more regional answers

Good luck

PS- and before you ask, yes - Montreal IS where you will interview for the cr-1 visa. No other options

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.