raian

Will an Indonesian, Siri wedding religious ceremony affect my K-1 fiancee visa application?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

I currently live in the USA. My fiancee's family in Indonesia says that I must convert to Islam and marry in a Siri wedding religious ceremony. No contract will be signed for the wedding. It strictly is just a religious wedding ceremony. I was wondering if this might affect the K-1 visa application regulations?

I was planning on going back to Indonesia when the K-1 visa is approved. She and I would do the Siri wedding ceremony. Then we would go back to USA together and marry within the 90 day period.

Thank you all in advance for your time :)

Take care, Ryan

2003 - met online

12-09-2010 - met for the first time

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

04-04-2012 - I-130 approved

05-14-2012 - NVC Case number received

06-26-2012 - Case completed

08-02-2012 - VISA APPROVED :)

I would also like to ask regarding the conversion to Islam's effect of the K-1 visa. If I were to convert to Islam during the K-1 visa process, I would attain a second Arabic name according to the rules of conversion to Islam. Will the addition of a second name affect the K-1 visa? Would it be better to convert before or after the K-1 process?

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Technically, if your Islamic wedding is not registered with the local Office of Religious Affairs then you aren't married. However, if the only thing preventing your marriage from being legal is having it registered then you are giving the consulate a potential reason to deny a K1 visa. If they see evidence you had a wedding ceremony then they can presume you're married and not eligible for a fiancee visa. You should probably check the regional forum and see if this has been a problem for other member's with fiancee's in Indonesia.

You will not be required to state your religion on any document you submit to the US government. They are also forbidden by law from requiring you to disclose this information. However, they can ask about it if it's relevant to the decision they have to make. Since marriage laws in Indonesia are different for Muslims, the consulate would certainly be able to ask your fiancee about it during the interview, and to specifically ask her about your conversion.

If you intend to use your Arabic name on any of the forms then you should also petition a court to have your name legally changed, and also register that change by obtaining new identification documents (driver license, passport, etc.). This isn't strictly required, but if you follow the common law route then USCIS and/or the consulate is free to assume that you've failed to adequately identify yourself.

On a personal note, are you converting because you love this girl, or because you believe Islam to be the one true religion and the Quran to be the unchanged word of Allah? Islam, like most Abrahamic religions, generally requires you to believe before you convert. Islam is a bit more strict in that conversion out of Islam is generally not accepted. If you believe, then convert. If you don't believe then don't convert. Under no circumstances should you convert to any religion solely because you love somebody. I can say with some certainty that relationships where one person changed religions out of love almost never last. Your heart needs to be 100% in your marriage and your faith.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Hi JimVaPhuong :)

Thank you for your reply. I am very worried that the Siri religious wedding ceremony may default me from the K-1 visa, even though a contract has not been signed.

I intend to continue using my official name now and not the Arabic one.

I am converting because I love my fiancee. I will read, understand and put faith in Islam as I go along. I agree with your entire opinion. However, I have no choice to convert if I want to be with her. I've thought about it for years and have found peace with the decision to convert.

I posted at the regional section of this forum as you suggested.

Thanks again for your reply. Please let me know of anything else that may be of help.

Ryan

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Paraguay
Timeline

E-mail or call your embassy and mention to them your plans. You may just get lucky and get all the answers you need. Here, you'll be told not to jeopardize your case with a ceremonial wedding, but that isn't your only option. Find out from your embassy what can be done. It may not be an issue at all.

I have a similar case where we plan on having a ceremonial wedding first, and in one e-mail I was given all the answers I needed. Easiest e-mail I ever sent. Hopefully yours will be the same. Good luck!

Paraguay2010076-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

sadly its like a catch 22 if they know about the religious ceremony they say your married and do not qualify for the k1 and you have to try to show proof your not married..... but on the other hand if you apply for marriage visa you have to show proof that your married ....in most predominately Muslim countries most the people that have gone thru it will tell you if you have a religious ceremony dont show those pics as it can be construed to be a legal wedding

if they point blank ask you if you had this you can not lie you have to tell them so that you dont jeopardize anything

also i personally think because she is a Muslim girl they will ask you what your religion is because it is not the norm for a family to agree for a Muslim daughter to marry a non Muslim man.....

just my opinion

sara

Edited by sara.....

E-mail or call your embassy and mention to them your plans.

Which embassy should I contact...US or Indonesia Consulate here in Chicago?

Thank you both for your replies :)

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you both for your replies :)

one thing you can do is get a statement from the court there that no legal marriage has been registered sort of warding off the but your married idea that can happen at interview time

also if you had a formal engagement they are going to ask for the names of the guest phone numbers and addresses of people that were not related to either of you, pictures and phone numbers and address of those that attended that are related to either of you and pictures.

for Muslims or anyone it is better to be overly prepared for anything that can be asked than to go into it thinking they will just take your word for it :)

sara

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Paraguay
Timeline

The US embassy in Indonesia, where she would have the interview.

Paraguay2010076-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.