JazzyNixie

Just starting and need help!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I just found out about this site today! *GASP* And I find all this overwhelming and terrifying! Ive been reading around this site for about 4 hours and really need some help! I will tell you briefly my little story.

I met a US guy, I live in canada, and fell in love. We dated for almost 2 years and then got married in the US. I was 21 and he was 22 when we married. We didnt realize it was such a process to do the paperwork, we never really looked into it. We just knew we wanted to be married and be together. So anyway...Heres the thing..that was 3.5 years ago!!! I knew that I couldnt stay in the US for more than 6 months,which was fine. I would travel over,stay for 2 or 3 months,come back to my house (parents home) etc etc. We just kept going back and forth. I never stayed any long than MAX 4.5 months at a time. I have been questioned at the border almost every time, some times it is simple questions-in and out in just a few minutes. Twice I was questioned for an hour or so. My husband is a member of the US Military (don't know how important that bit of info is,but just thought i would say it in case it mattered).

So my questions are,

1- How do I get started...what forms and such do I need to do?

2- Have I ruined my chances or hurt myself by waiting SO long? (like I said, at the beginning, I had NO clue it was like this!!!)

3- Can I continue to visit him?

Anyway, I really hope someone, anyone, can help me.

Once at the border I was told that once I do my paperwork I CANNOT enter the US until it is complete...but another time at the Border I was told that I MUST STAY in the US once I start my paperwork. So I dont know if maybe these 2 people were talking about different paperworks, or one was just incorrect?...

Please Please help guide me in the right direction, I want to do this, and I want to do it right. My fear is that since I have already waited 3.5 years, have I done something horribly wrong?

Edited by JazzyNixie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You are wanting to file an I-130?

USCIS (155 Days)

12/20/2010 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box via USPS Express Mail

12/22/2010 - Delivered (online tracking confirmation)

12/27/2010 - NOA1 Email and Text from USCIS. Off to CA!!

12/30/2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received. Priority date is 12/22/2010.

02/16/2011 - Touched

05/26/2011 - NOA2 155 days after NOA1!

05/31/2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. No text or email notification.

NVC (21 Days)

06/10/2011 - NVC Received

06/14/2011 - NVC Case & IIN Numbers Received

06/14/2011 - DS3032 Sent via Email

06/16/2011 - AOS bill generated and paid

06/17/2011 - DS3032 Accepted

06/20/2011 - AOS shows as PAID

06/20/2011 - IV bill generated

06/22/2011 - IV bill paid

06/22/2011 - AOS package sent

06/24/2011 - IV shows as PAID and package sent/AOS package delivered

06/27/2011 - IV package delivered

06/30/2011 - Medical Exam

07/11/2011 - SIF!

07/12/2011 - CASE CLOSED

09/23/2011 - INTERVIEW at 8am

09/23/2001 - APPROVED!!

10/06/2011 - POE at LAX

LIFE AFTER THE FACT

02/23/2012 - OUR SON WAS BORN!

Welcome to VJ!

If you have never stayed longer than the 6 months that Canadian citizens are permitted (usually!) then you've done nothing wrong going back and forth. It's very fortunate that they let you go back and forth as long as they have.

The apparently conflicting advice would depend on what you do but if you are legally married, and have been for more than 2 years, the visa you will be applying for is an IR-1, and the outcome will eventually be a 10 year Green Card. Had you been married less than 2 years, you'd be applying for a different spousal visa (CR-1) and would eventually receive a conditional GC.

Look at the guides above for the CR-1/ IR-1 process. There are links to the forms you need (it's always worth checking on the www.uscis.gov website to download them from there instead, to make sure they are the latest forms. There are also example forms that you can follow. If there's things about the process, search first because undoubtedly many will have asked the same question before you. If you can't find what you're looking for, then ask and you'll get plenty of advice.

The Canadian regional forum is a great one for specific support and information on how to get things that relate to Canada (like police certificates, where to stay overnight cheaply for your interview, etc.)

You haven't ruined your chances by waiting at all. It's actually made it simpler (and cheaper!) for you in the long run because you won't need to go through the 'removal of conditions' process.

His being military is helpful because he doesn't need to be earning as much as civilians and there is also a military hotline. If he receives orders to deploy at any time during your application process, you can request an 'expedite' which really speeds things up so you can be re-united before he ships out, ideally.

Continuing to visit him is going to be at the CBP's discretion. Considering you've been visiting him for 3.5 years of your marriage and always return to Canada, I would think the likelihood of them stopping you now is a lot less. You can also travel with a copy of the 'NOA1' which is the first correspondence you get in the process, confirming receipt and acceptance of his petition. This would show the CBP that you are going about immigrating in a correct manner.

Good luck and congratulations :)

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Timeline

Welcome to VJ!

If you have never stayed longer than the 6 months that Canadian citizens are permitted (usually!) then you've done nothing wrong going back and forth. It's very fortunate that they let you go back and forth as long as they have.

The apparently conflicting advice would depend on what you do but if you are legally married, and have been for more than 2 years, the visa you will be applying for is an IR-1, and the outcome will eventually be a 10 year Green Card. Had you been married less than 2 years, you'd be applying for a different spousal visa (CR-1) and would eventually receive a conditional GC.

Look at the guides above for the CR-1/ IR-1 process. There are links to the forms you need (it's always worth checking on the www.uscis.gov website to download them from there instead, to make sure they are the latest forms. There are also example forms that you can follow. If there's things about the process, search first because undoubtedly many will have asked the same question before you. If you can't find what you're looking for, then ask and you'll get plenty of advice.

The Canadian regional forum is a great one for specific support and information on how to get things that relate to Canada (like police certificates, where to stay overnight cheaply for your interview, etc.)

You haven't ruined your chances by waiting at all. It's actually made it simpler (and cheaper!) for you in the long run because you won't need to go through the 'removal of conditions' process.

His being military is helpful because he doesn't need to be earning as much as civilians and there is also a military hotline. If he receives orders to deploy at any time during your application process, you can request an 'expedite' which really speeds things up so you can be re-united before he ships out, ideally.

Continuing to visit him is going to be at the CBP's discretion. Considering you've been visiting him for 3.5 years of your marriage and always return to Canada, I would think the likelihood of them stopping you now is a lot less. You can also travel with a copy of the 'NOA1' which is the first correspondence you get in the process, confirming receipt and acceptance of his petition. This would show the CBP that you are going about immigrating in a correct manner.

Good luck and congratulations :)

WOW! Okay so from reading what you have written, I do feel a bit better about how I havent "hurt" myself by waiting too long. All of this stuff is so scary. My husband,he worries a lot less than I do, but me, I just am wanting to do this RIGHT and do it NOW!

I have another question now though,since you said something about my husband deploying. He is in the Coast Guard,and he doesnt "deploy" as in, go to Iraq or anything..but in his job, he "Deploys" meaning he goes on a boat for 2 months and then is in land for 2 months and repeat. Would this be something that could "expedite"? I have NO clue if you would know the answer to that question,but thought I would ask anyway. Good to know that there is a Military Hotline, I think I will give them a call ASAP!!

WOW! Okay so from reading what you have written, I do feel a bit better about how I havent "hurt" myself by waiting too long. All of this stuff is so scary. My husband,he worries a lot less than I do, but me, I just am wanting to do this RIGHT and do it NOW!

I have another question now though,since you said something about my husband deploying. He is in the Coast Guard,and he doesnt "deploy" as in, go to Iraq or anything..but in his job, he "Deploys" meaning he goes on a boat for 2 months and then is in land for 2 months and repeat. Would this be something that could "expedite"? I have NO clue if you would know the answer to that question,but thought I would ask anyway. Good to know that there is a Military Hotline, I think I will give them a call ASAP!!

You can always try, it never hurts to try. Also, you two will have the advantage of using the military JAG office to assist you two if needed. You two should have no problems since you have broken no laws. Good luck.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.