C&T

Visa Lottery Requirments

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Can someone tell me what is required for someone that has been selected for the visa lottery? Do they need an affidavit of support? I am a US Citizen and have a friend that is asking for my help. I just need to know what I am getting into. Thanks in advance for your replies

Edited by C&T

USA - PERU

NOA 1 Sept 18, 2003 (CSC)

NOA 2 March 11,2004 (CSC)

Petition rec'd NVC March 18, 2004

Rec'd Packet 3 April 3, 2004

Returned OF-179 to Embassy April 12, 2004

Returned Checklist to Embassy April 15, 2004

Interview date April 27, 2004

Visa approved April 27,2004

Visa Picked up April 29, 2004

Arrived to LA Airport, May 21, 2004

Wedding day : August 14,2004

AOS, EAD, AP: Sent Sept 09, 2004

Received EAD rejection : Sept, 18,2004

Received NOA 1 for AOS and AP : Sept. 22, 2004

Re-sent EAD : Sept 22, 2004

Received NOA 1 for EAD September 28, 2004

Biometrics and Fingerprints : Oct 27, 2004

Received RFE for AP: November 15, 2004

Sent rquested info for AP: November 29, 2004

AP Approved online December 10, 2004

Received AP December 17, 2004

EAD Approved online December 30, 2004

I-485 Permanent Resident approved, August 22, 2005

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

My understanding as long as he is from a country we allow in it there is no requirements.. no fees no nothing a free ride.. but only like 250,000 people win yearly. or is it 25,000?

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Okay, let's see if helps.

From the DV lottery instructions website:

# MAY WINNING APPLICANTS ADJUST THEIR STATUS WITH USCIS?

Yes, provided they are otherwise eligible to adjust status under the terms of Section 245 of the INA, selected applicants who are physically present in the United States may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for adjustment of status to permanent resident. Applicants must ensure that USCIS can complete action on their cases, including processing of any overseas derivatives, before September 30, 2007, since on that date registrations for the DV-2007 program expire. No visa numbers for the DV-2007 program will be available after midnight on September 30, 2007 under any circumstances.

SECTION 245-INA

How to to apply to become an LPR

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Okay, let's see if helps.

From the DV lottery instructions website:

# MAY WINNING APPLICANTS ADJUST THEIR STATUS WITH USCIS?

Yes, provided they are otherwise eligible to adjust status under the terms of Section 245 of the INA, selected applicants who are physically present in the United States may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for adjustment of status to permanent resident. Applicants must ensure that USCIS can complete action on their cases, including processing of any overseas derivatives, before September 30, 2007, since on that date registrations for the DV-2007 program expire. No visa numbers for the DV-2007 program will be available after midnight on September 30, 2007 under any circumstances.

SECTION 245-INA

How to to apply to become an LPR

:bonk:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My man applied a few years ago..........................you must fill out an on-line application & submit a photograph. That is it.

He didn't win-obviously ;)

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Timeline

My fiance while in the states applied each year.. course she didn't win either.. but the odds are not that bad.. I looked at it 2 years ago and we figured the odds are roughly 1 in 250 or so .. which really isnt that bad.

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

brick.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I may be smacked for this but...

I've been told a friend who works with immigration/councelling that the visa lottery is a bit of a joke. She informed me that it really doesn't work the way they say it does, and priority goes to countries that the US has political or socio-economic ties to.

At least that's what I've been told.

*ducks*

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Timeline

Countries that we don't have ties with are not allowed to join in .. so .. ya you are right.

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

brick.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

My mother "won" Visa Lottery or rather was selected. As a result my parents and my brother and I could move to US. One requirement was that my mom had High School diploma, and she had money to support us here in US for a time period. If you do not have the money then you need an affidavit of support from a US citizen., . After being selected we all had to go for an interview. My mom had to bring proof that we had the money (I think it is a "few" thousand $ per person) ,we all needed to have a medical exam (which showed my mom was pregnant ) , we were all interviewed (my little brother did not know what a terrorist was so he did not say NO when they asked him if he was one :lol: ) ....We got approved

As a result we all 4 received Permanent Residence for 10 years, 3 of us got the citizenship 2 years ago. My little brother's is still just a resident, he has yet to apply for naturalization. Our interview was in March, my parents moved to US in APril (8 months pregnant) , my mom gave birth in May...and me and my brother came to US in JuLy. My parents wanted to come first and see if they really like US. I guess they did.

We know 13 other families here in Chicago that also came from Romania with Lottery Visa, all same year as us.

I have heard that some of the requirements changed. They still need to have enough money to live for a few months or affidavit of support from a US citizen. Pass a Medical Exam, etc (some requirements same as for other visas) As for the High School diploma, I hear it also okay if you have 5 years working in certain profession :: I don't know exactly.

Octa and Nicu

I-129F Interview..........04-25-2005

US Entry......................05-19-2005

Marriage......................07-16-2005

Filed AOS/EAD..............08-16-2005

Received EAD................11-28-2005

AOS Interview...............05-15-2006

Received Green Card.....05-25-2006

The way to find out if you love someone or not, is by talking to them.

The more you talk to them the more you either hate them or love them.