coraliesolms

Dreaded MIL visit..

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe she's been reading the NY Times a little too much ? Have you seen their overly snooty wedding announcement page? Makes me want to throw up - it's worse then the Globe and Mail society section.

Ms So and So will be Marrying Mr So and So June ## 2010. Ms graduated Magna cum laude with a horseshow up her a$$ while Mr graduated Summa Cum Laude with his law degree from Yale. They met while on safari in Africa doing humanitarian work while feeding starving children and saving endangered species. The bride promises to continue with her frou frou past times while the husband promises to continue playing golf and making a lot of money as a lawyer. The brides parents are lawyers and the grooms are Doctors. They plan to honeymoon in snootyland before returning to live in La-La Land.

Give me a freaking break

Yes she included our hjgh schools, colleges, and the places we worked (hubby US Army, I was deployed with Canadian Forces currently waiting for my GC in the US) haha. No I don't think she's read the NYtime. This is a small rural town in MI with only a couple thousand people IF that. I think thats the county. I guess they have nothing better to read. I know she means well though and is just proud of her son so I won't literally complain. Its just funny.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: Timeline

Maybe she's been reading the NY Times a little too much ? Have you seen their overly snooty wedding announcement page? Makes me want to throw up - it's worse then the Globe and Mail society section.

Ms So and So will be Marrying Mr So and So June ## 2010. Ms graduated Magna cum laude with a horseshow up her a$$ while Mr graduated Summa Cum Laude with his law degree from Yale. They met while on safari in Africa doing humanitarian work while feeding starving children and saving endangered species. The bride promises to continue with her frou frou past times while the husband promises to continue playing golf and making a lot of money as a lawyer. The brides parents are lawyers and the grooms are Doctors. They plan to honeymoon in snootyland before returning to live in La-La Land.

Give me a freaking break

OMG. :rofl:

I put the sheets she hates on her bed, because I dont have others, and she bitched for a bit and went out and bought 900 thread count sheets for all my beds!!

That is awesome! I hope she can find something else she doesn't like! :lol:

If I see it I'll totally post a copy!

Nice! Can't wait. :lol:

iagree.gif

If I see it I'll totally post a copy! I don't know if ours came out a full page but that's what she wanted. They like descrive the bride's dress in detail, who all was there and where they came from haha. Thank god she didn't include out 70 person guest list hehe.

Holy #######... talk about no privacy!!! :blink:

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

• 2 weeks later...

Oh please dear God.... Can my purgatory end now PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!! This sux!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh please dear God.... Can my purgatory end now PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!! This sux!

Be strong!!! So how IS the isit going??? neitehr you nor she have died yet (I'm assuming) :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

We tried to invite my husbands mother for christmas, as it turns out she cant come because she is now the foster parent for my husbands sisters baby. The babys father went to jail for heroin and the babys mother is a meth addict. Great! LOL I feel so bad for my husbands mother now because she cant travel to visit us at all being a foster parent to her own grandson. Blah.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

All, please pray for me as I prepare to enter the lion's den this Christmas. Going to visit the hubby on Friday, and while that is good, he is living with his parents to save money. I really hope the MIL is around to visit with, cause I will not come upstairs if the FIL is the only one home. I cannot stand the man, but attempt to make nice to ensure the hubby doesn't end up on the street in the snow.

Please grant me patience so I don't either smack the man or open my mouth and say something I'll regret really enjoy saying but not enjoy the consequences..

Holding my nose and jumping off the cliff.. hope I don't hit any rocks in the water.

"All I want out of life is ice cream and cuddles. Is it too much to ask? Is it?" - Sleep Talkin' Man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WithoutMusic-theidolhands.pngSquareOneIcon.pngMYV2avaruusvirta.pngCarmenSandiego-theidolhands.pngSuckIt-stellans.jpg

138 days from NOA1 - NOA2

14 days from CIS till NVC case number assigned.

Yes, in-laws can be rough. Mine is up to her old tricks again. She called me at work to tell me to come and address her christmas cards on monday. I was like "Uh, can you do it? Im at work" She said no so I asked if I could come over after works because I was busy, and she said "No, I want them sent out today, before mail cut off". So I left for an early lunch and spent almost my whole lunch hour addressing her xmas cards.

:wacko:

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Yes, in-laws can be rough. Mine is up to her old tricks again. She called me at work to tell me to come and address her christmas cards on monday. I was like "Uh, can you do it? Im at work" She said no so I asked if I could come over after works because I was busy, and she said "No, I want them sent out today, before mail cut off". So I left for an early lunch and spent almost my whole lunch hour addressing her xmas cards.

I am not going to be rude but I would definately have told her where to go and how to get there. You were not put on this earth to get walked all over from a demanding bull :whistle: .

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

We leave for our super scheduled trip to Williamsburg with my in-laws this afternoon.

My MIL has everything scheduled down to times we open presents. She did put some "free time" in tomorrow, so I asked how far away we were from stuff 'cause my husband and I were thinking of doing lunch just us 2... she said she has lunch planned for everyone, during our "free time".

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

We leave for our super scheduled trip to Williamsburg with my in-laws this afternoon.

My MIL has everything scheduled down to times we open presents. She did put some "free time" in tomorrow, so I asked how far away we were from stuff 'cause my husband and I were thinking of doing lunch just us 2... she said she has lunch planned for everyone, during our "free time".

Then I would not consider that "free time" lol.. Bite your tongue and enjoy not having to make any decisions for the next 24 hours. lol Good luck :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I know you mean the very best with your mother in law, but I would like to take a moment to recount what happened to my mom. When we were little, my mom would have to get us all ready to go over to my grandma's house a half hour away. Its not a huge distance but with 2 little ones (and I know I was more than a handful) it was a lot of work. She would get there and they would put her to work the second she got through the door, helping make the food etc. After the X-mas meal was enjoyed (and grandma's meals were family affairs - talking 30+ ppl) everyone else would leave and she would get stuck doing dishes. One time she decided to sit down for a bit because she was exausted from dealing with us and everything else and one of the family members let some little snide remark about being lazy go. This was the point my mom snapped. She told them she had 2 little ones and while everyone else was enjoying christmas, she was working like a slave so people could eat and have fun, and that she was no longer going to do everything. This was also the point the rest of the family stopped seeing her as the foreign no good wife who could be pushed around. If your MIL has hands, next time make her write her own damn address labels. Shes ging to push you around for years unless you put your foot down and refuse to be treated as her private secretary. If you want to make it a nice-ish transition into "Do it yourself!" get her a program that stores addresses that she can print labels out from.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Good heavens - she had you address her Christmas cards? That takes a lot of nerve! Of course, one solution to her demands is along the lines of using the sheets she doesn't like - whatever she asks you to do, don't do it 'well'. The addresses could be sloppily written; the jag could not go to the 'right' garage - whatever she asks for, find some way to make it less convenient for her than if she did it herself. Of course, she will become insulting about competency - but then you have a good excuse not to be her personal assistant any longer. :lol:

I was fortunate with my in-laws - both FIL and MIL have passed away now - but my MIL was very welcoming and accepting as are our SILs - they weren't sure what to expect from me but obviously went out of their way to make my first visit to them welcoming - and I was sure to let them know how much I appreciated it.

This isn't my story but one an older friend of mine shared with me. She immigrated to Canada as a War bride during WWII, having met her Canadian Serviceman husband while he was stationed in England. When he went into action on the Continent, she along with many other British war brides crossed the Atlantic by ship and arrived in Canada to wait for his return. Her husband's home was on the Prairies and her arrival was in late Fall. She boarded the train in the Maritimes, travelled several days across the country, finally arriving in what appeared the bleak middle of nowhere on her husband's family farm. Her new FIL and MIL met her at the station and she went to her new home with her new inlaws - strangers to each other.

She tried her best to fit in but she was obviously a stranger in a strange land. Not only was the culture different but she was a city girl and there nearest city was miles and miles away. Her MIL seemed stern and she was nervous as she watched the other family members go about their chores, wondering how she would ever be able to learn all there was to learn.

About a week after her arrival, her MIL said it was time they sat down and had a good 'chat' to get to know each other. My friend was terrified, afraid she had done something wrong and expecting to be lectured. Her MIL asked her about where she came from and what she used to do. Her MIL then asked her if she had ever lived on a farm before. My friend said no. Her MIL asked her if she knew anything about helping calves be born. My friend said no. She asked if she knew how to milk cows. My friend said no. She asked if she knew how to bale hay. My friend was absolutely horrified by now and meekly answered 'no'. Her MIL then gave her a big smile and said ' Well, don't you ever learn neither. I've been here over 30 years now and I have made sure that I have never been able to learn how to do any of these things. There are enough men on this farm who can do this work - and I keep telling them that!" My friend relaxed and said that she and her MIL went on to became the best of friends. And she never did learn how to help with calves being born, to milk a cow or to bale hay. :lol:

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 4 weeks later...

SHE'S GONE!!! :dance: YAY!! My house and life is once again my own... I am pleased to report that there were no meltdowns during her visit this time, and the one time she got really snarky, my hubby said that she could go and stay at a hotel if she wanted to treat me that way :)

Thank goodness its all over though....

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

So happy for you, your husband is awesome telling her that. Yay for him

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.