Christmas Present Thread

69 posts in this topic

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: You'll have to let us know if it's any good.

:o

I'm going to have to look those up. I'd have to be made ravishingly beautiful after a few uses in order to buy that. lol

I am told they will change your life......I know...whatever

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This year with not being able to work and having a little one making an apperance any day now our gift list is going to be a lean this year. For our nieces and nephews in Canada, they are just getting a bit of cash ($30 or $40) in a card. It is so expensive to ship stuff, and because I don't get to spend too much time with them, it is hard to know what they want/like. This way, they get what they want. For our nieces and nephews here they will get some small gifts (leap pad games for the younger ones and some movies and stuff for the older ones). We are not doing gifts for our siblings this year. Maybe some lotto tickets in a card. For our parents, they are getting nice picture frames with pics of their new granddaughter!! For Hubby, he wants a new Arsenal Jersey and shorts. I want to personalize it with his name and a number on it, but I want the number to be the day his little girl is born, so I will just have to wait to order that!! He also needs a new wallet, but that will be a gift from Emma....since he will be opening it a lot for her...lol. And the dogs will be getting some new pillows and a few treats in their stocking!!

Timeline

We tend not to do a big Christmas and more or less buy something throughout the year as it comes up. That being said, both of us had pretty big items on the top of our wish lists this year and since we both consult the other about what to get, I went with him when he got my gift and he came with me when I got his :D . He is a techie and loves all sorts of gadgets. He is hard to buy for, though, because he generally buys things for himself. This time his interest came up within a reasonable time frame for me to say, 'well,how about I get you that for Christmas?" and he said, "ok"!

He is getting one of the digital Scribe pens that allow you to record meetings, notes, music, whatever on specially encoded paper using it like a real pen to make notes or draw diagrams or whatever - and then upload them directly to the computer. http://www.livescrib...ase_100719.html

And I am getting something I have wanted for many years - sort of :-). I have always wanted a piano- not that I can really play or anything, but I always loved to fool around on the one we had when I was a child (and left behind when we moved because it was huge and too big to move out of the house :( ). So, Joe is getting me a digital piano keyboard - not a big or expensive one but one that sounds and feels like a real piano so I can enjoy playing/learning to play.

(We also got them both on sale on Black Friday sales - on Saturday, mind you :yes: - so that was even better).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I'm trying really hard not to go crazy this year, but I'm having a hard time. We decided to try and cut back on the Christmas spending, since we spent a lot on plane tickets to go home to Canada. We're flying on Christmas Eve, which of course is the busiest and most expensive day to go. I just get really excited about Christmas and tend to over spend, especially when it comes to my husband. But, it's not like he doesn't return the favor!

I finished up shopping for my little sister this weekend. She's 16 and my favorite person to shop for, because it's always fun! She loves Hello Kitty, so I bought her a bunch of random Hello Kitty stuff I'm sure she'll love.

I bought my husband some things over the weekend too, but I can't tell you because he comes on here and reads. I actually should go wrap that stuff before he finds it... :lol: But, I still have some other things in mind for him...

Parents are always the hardest to shop for, especially the in laws. I'm still thinking about what we're going to do for them. My parents are a little easier, but it's still going to take some thought.

Everyone else gets gift cards! They're always a nice, safe bet :lol:

Filed: Timeline

I usually get my brother Scratchies so I'll pick those up on the way from the airport. I remember we used to call them Scratch 'n Wins. My Aunt from England was over visiting and really liked them cause she kept winning. So she went back home and asked for some Scratch 'n Wins in England, where they call them ScratchCards. The shopkeeper looked at her and said "Well, you're optimistic, aren't you?" :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

We tend not to do a big Christmas and more or less buy something throughout the year as it comes up. That being said, both of us had pretty big items on the top of our wish lists this year and since we both consult the other about what to get, I went with him when he got my gift and he came with me when I got his :D . He is a techie and loves all sorts of gadgets. He is hard to buy for, though, because he generally buys things for himself. This time his interest came up within a reasonable time frame for me to say, 'well,how about I get you that for Christmas?" and he said, "ok"!

He is getting one of the digital Scribe pens that allow you to record meetings, notes, music, whatever on specially encoded paper using it like a real pen to make notes or draw diagrams or whatever - and then upload them directly to the computer. http://www.livescrib...ase_100719.html

And I am getting something I have wanted for many years - sort of :-). I have always wanted a piano- not that I can really play or anything, but I always loved to fool around on the one we had when I was a child (and left behind when we moved because it was huge and too big to move out of the house :( ). So, Joe is getting me a digital piano keyboard - not a big or expensive one but one that sounds and feels like a real piano so I can enjoy playing/learning to play.

(We also got them both on sale on Black Friday sales - on Saturday, mind you :yes: - so that was even better).

Awesome - love mine. I use mine for work and it's a huge hit at the office since I can take my notes and later send out a PDF of the notes taken. I tend not to use the voice recording feature as much. I can see for a serious journal writer this would also be a neat way to document and save.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Well, Im in a complete bind.. my hubby and I usually dont get eachother anything, it all goes to family and our little girl. HOWEVER.. I work in a jewelry store, and as I was headed in to work the other day, I coulda SWORE I saw my hubby sneaking out the back door... :blink:

I have snooped all over the house, and cant seem to find anything, Ive also looked on our account at work and cant find anything.. so do I buy him something.. or not...ARG!!! I asked him if it was him that I saw leaving my work the other day and he said "I didnt even know you guys had a back door"..

I think I might just get him a video game, his brother bought him an xbox360.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Probably boxers for Mr. Sachinky. The boy never seems to need anything, let alone actually want something.

And some New Mexico green/red (they call it "Christmas chile" down here) chile for the in-laws.

My parents will get their combined Christmas/birthday presents when we visit India next summer. Me! :) No, actually my dad wants some men's multi-vitamins and sugar-free chocolates since he's diabetic. And my mom wants a box of pecan shortbread cookies. And Doritos. My parents are weird, yes.

This has been an expensive year with the visa, plane ticket, moving from MI to NM, and every month after our paychecks we buy something we "want" -- actually, I do, like my favorite perfume or lotion on sale or such so there's not much that's on my wish-list either.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Well, Im in a complete bind.. my hubby and I usually dont get eachother anything, it all goes to family and our little girl. HOWEVER.. I work in a jewelry store, and as I was headed in to work the other day, I coulda SWORE I saw my hubby sneaking out the back door... :blink:

I have snooped all over the house, and cant seem to find anything, Ive also looked on our account at work and cant find anything.. so do I buy him something.. or not...ARG!!! I asked him if it was him that I saw leaving my work the other day and he said "I didnt even know you guys had a back door"..

I think I might just get him a video game, his brother bought him an xbox360.

Maybe it's wishful thinking? lol. Now I'm dying to know if he got you something! But don't try to find it. It always makes it such a letdown when you actually do receive it. But if that wasn't actually him, you're going to be awfully disappointed Christmas Day. lol

Probably boxers for Mr. Sachinky. The boy never seems to need anything, let alone actually want something.

*got to get that image out of my head* :bonk::lol:

Christmas isn't as fun for me as it used to be when the kids were small. I'd go all out with the Santa thing and try to make it as magical as possible for them. Grandkids would be nice.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Christmas isn't as fun for me as it used to be when the kids were small. I'd go all out with the Santa thing and try to make it as magical as possible for them. Grandkids would be nice.

We went out shopping yesterday and bought a bunch of stuff for the baby...it was pretty fun. I had a small shower with my family when I was home in Aug, so I didn't get a lot of toys or anything like that for her, so we bought that stuff as christmas gifts. She will be at the most 2 weeks old for Christmas so we figured that she wouldn't be needing them before that point!! I am sure the grandparents are going to spoil her a TON!

Timeline

Well, well , well...so nice to see so many of you STILL here!!

After over a year I wanted to chime in on this thread...

Ugh! Presents for in-laws? What to get? I need to get my FIL and MiL gifts this weekend and I'm still at a loss. Any one have any ideas?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Nice to see you back again, Treble! Not too many old-timers left around here. It's kind of lonely. lol

I leave the in-law present buying to my husband, for the most part. Sometimes I'll pick something up if it seems perfect for them. I don't really know them, plus they seem really odd to me, so it's better that their son takes the responsibility. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

ughhh. If only Jared would do the shopping!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Welcome back Treble

I have a really hard time with presents for the in-laws too, last year we thought we found the perfect gift but its still in the box. WE got them a digital frame loaded a bunch of pictures on it for them too. This year I'm staying out of it, hubby can figure it out for them. I sent my parents their gifts already. My dad is being weird and wanted the egg cracker he saw on TV, I also picked him up the Topsy turvy when they went on sale this summer for 2$ so it was pretty easy to find him something. My mom I got her a pair of the socks that are aloe infused from Bed Bath and Beyond, and a hand carved soap stone elephant. The only part that sucked was UPS couldn't find a delivery location for the Sault, we had to send it out with the post office.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.