TheNottleys

Translating Documents

5 posts in this topic

My husband is required a clearance letter from Spain before we are able to get his visa. We decided that instead of waiting for the agency to process it, he would just fly to Spain and apply in person. My question is, will they need us to have the letter translated before he the accept it? Anyone have an idea?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes anything that is not in english must be translated.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

From the US Department of State concerning civil documents presented in support of an immigrant visa application:

Translation Requirements

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

* Translation is accurate, and

* Translator is competent to translate.

Link here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Edited by cherriesss

My Visa Journey:

Dec-15-2008..... Got Married!

Aug-20-2010..... Filed I-130 at U.S. Embassy

Sep-15-2010..... NOA 1 Received

Sep-23-2010..... Packet 3 Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 3 Handed in to U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-20-2010..... Medical Examination Completed

Dec-06-2010..... Interview - Visa Approved!

Dec-13-2010..... Visa In Hand!

May-02-2011..... Port of Entry - IR-1

May-16-2011..... Social Security Card Received

May-21-2011..... Green Card Received

Also, in my case, I took an extra step and had the foreign civil documents authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then took them to the US Embassy to get the Ministry's authentication legalized. If the foreign country you are obtaining the civil documents from is a signer of the Convention de La Haye, then a simple apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will suffice.

It is an extra step that may not apply to all cases, but because I obtained civil documents from one country to use them in the US Embassy at another country in our visa application, I took the extra measure to cover ALL possible bases.

:)

Edited by cherriesss

My Visa Journey:

Dec-15-2008..... Got Married!

Aug-20-2010..... Filed I-130 at U.S. Embassy

Sep-15-2010..... NOA 1 Received

Sep-23-2010..... Packet 3 Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 3 Handed in to U.S. Embassy

Nov-19-2010..... Packet 4 (Appointment Letter) Instructions Received from U.S. Embassy

Nov-20-2010..... Medical Examination Completed

Dec-06-2010..... Interview - Visa Approved!

Dec-13-2010..... Visa In Hand!

May-02-2011..... Port of Entry - IR-1

May-16-2011..... Social Security Card Received

May-21-2011..... Green Card Received

Thank you so much everyone! We found a company to Translate the documents. I absolutely want to cover every base! Thank you so much for all of your help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.