sara2010

My employer did not pay my Taxes to the IRS

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Minimum wage set by federal law is $2.13 per hour. They are required to pay this if the person is an employee of the company. I don't know enough about the difference between an employee and an independent contractor to state if she would fall in the later category but I believe she would be considered under the law as an employee.

Actually, Federal Minimum wage is now $7.25 an hour and has been that for over a year.As a matter of fact, it may have gone up again this year. But Waitresses making tips are not required to be paid that much. I think the minimum wages for Waitress is a little over $4.00 an hour.That is why I keep recommending people to talk to the State Department of Labor. Every state is different. I work in Idaho, I know the laws in Idaho. I don't do many Kansas Tax Returns, so It is best to talk to someone who knows the State laws, once again tha State Department of Employment or Department of Labor.We as state residents pay their wages, they are happy to help us and answer our questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Correction federal minimum wage for person's who receive tips as a normal part of their employment is $2.13. Sorry bout leaving that out. The states have the right to make the minimum wage higher than this if they chose but they cannot make it lower.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Actually, Federal Minimum wage is now $7.25 an hour and has been that for over a year.As a matter of fact, it may have gone up again this year. But Waitresses making tips are not required to be paid that much. I think the minimum wages for Waitress is a little over $4.00 an hour.That is why I keep recommending people to talk to the State Department of Labor. Every state is different. I work in Idaho, I know the laws in Idaho. I don't do many Kansas Tax Returns, so It is best to talk to someone who knows the State laws, once again tha State Department of Employment or Department of Labor.We as state residents pay their wages, they are happy to help us and answer our questions.

:ot: but the waitress thing is wrong, in Texas at least. A girl I know was a "hostess" and earnt $3.50 per hour. the waitresses earned less than her, I believe it was $2.80 or less than that, but $2 something. This was earlier this year in Houston Texas at a new restaurant that opened

in Australia a waitress is what almost everyone does to earn money during school/college. it' around $17 an hour (depends on your age, least is $14). We don't get tips as a standard but sometimes people do. I prefer it our way rather than tips. It means I'm not dependant on the number of customers I get, I kknow how much I'm taking home at the end of the day. :ot2:

Kristy S, they get away with it because no one wants to complain and lose their job. But you can work a commission job, such as car salesmen do. But Federal law says they have to make at least minimum wage or the employer has to pay them minimum wage.Even then, the person is an employee and will receive a W2 at the end of the year.And the employer is required to pay 1/2 the Social security, workmans comp and so on. But lets be honest, at most Mexican Restaurants, they hire illegals and illegals will take anything they can get and don't want taxes withheld, because they know they cann't file a tax return and get a refund, though there are ways they can legally do that,But if you are in the US illegally, obviously, you aren't worried about breaking the law.

:wow:

:ot: but the waitress thing is wrong, in Texas at least. A girl I know was a "hostess" and earnt $3.50 per hour. the waitresses earned less than her, I believe it was $2.80 or less than that, but $2 something. This was earlier this year in Houston Texas at a new restaurant that opened

in Australia a waitress is what almost everyone does to earn money during school/college. it' around $17 an hour (depends on your age, least is $14). We don't get tips as a standard but sometimes people do. I prefer it our way rather than tips. It means I'm not dependant on the number of customers I get, I kknow how much I'm taking home at the end of the day. :ot2:

the concept behind the system here is the better service comes in hopes of better tip. in a place where they just tack on a flat % to the bill you might find the service a bit lacking (as in when a party of 10 or more comes in so they do an automatic 15% on to the bill).

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.