23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

One of my concerns about bringing over the mother or father of a newly minted USC, what about health insurance? For a mother or father who is 60+ years old, what is typical for health insurance for those individuals.

This is obviously someone who has no U.S. work experience. What is everyone doing for this?

Just curious...

Thanks.

Edited by GalyasTorpedo

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline:

12/29/2004 Applied for SSN at local office

2/26/2005 Married

4/8/2005 AOS NOA Receipt

4/25/2005 EAD NOA Receipt

5/05/2005 RFE for Vaccination Supplement

5/7/2005 Biometrics Appointment

5/23/2005 Online approval of EAD

5/28/2005 Mailed AP form to Lockbox

6/8/2005 Email that Response to RFE Received on 6/6

6/20/05 Received AP NOA with receipt date of 5/30 and

notice date of 6/17

7/16/05 EAD Denied - Claimed did not have proof of AOS

7/18/05 Mailed 2nd EAD Application

7/25/05 EAD NOA Receipt (round 2)

7/27/05 Online approval of AP

8/1/05 Received AP!!!

9/26/05 Successfully used AP document at JFK

10/21/05 AOS APPROVED, no interview!!!

10/26/05 Received AOS approval letter in mail

10/27/05 Received 2 Year Green Card in the mail!

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

7/23/07 Mailed Docs to Vermont

8/9/07 Check Clears Bank, No NOA yet

8/24/07 Receive NOA2 - Biometrics Appt for 9/8/07

8/25/07 Mailed NOA2 back asking for new date, requested Sat 9/29 or later

9/6/07 Receive new NOA2 - Biometric Appt for 9/21/07 (laugh and just accept it)

9/17/07 Receive NOA1 with a date of 8/8/07

3/1/08 RFE - Bitter

3/19/08 After two calls with USCIS, send response to RFE

3/21/08 USCIS signs for response to RFE, wait continues

4/29/08 Receive email of approval, card production ordered!!

5/2/2008 Received approval letter in the mail! Waiting on card.

5/7/2008 Received 10 Year Green Card in Mail!

Filed: Timeline

I have been looking into this too.... as I plan to file for my parents as soon as I become a citizen.... here in MA the best quote I have been able to get is for $1200.00 per month for them both....

If you find anything better let me know....

I did check with the Social Security office about medicare and was told that they will not qualify until they become USC... so you are looking at 5 years....

Kezzie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Someone recommended to me that we look into travelers' insurance, although it would only be good for a year or so.

They are not travellers, they are emmigrants.

Subject comes up now and again, I wondered the same thing, I guess those that do go through with it hope that their parents stay healthy.

$1200 a month would be the current cost, it goes up with medical inflation and age. Significantly. Plus of course all the on costs even if you have Insurance.

They will have to buy into Medicare. And who knows what that will be and how much it will cost.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I did a search in google for expat insurance and came up with some pretty good ones, not cheap but no way as bad as $1200 per month. It is worth doing a search, if I can find out which ones I looked at I will post it. I have a job interview lined up for when I get out there and if I am successful I will have insurance for myself and my hubby so I am keeping my fingers crossed as I am over 60 now, only by 8 months :lol:

It is a worry I agree and to have to worry about it would drive me dememted but my husband will also be able to work once we are out there so we are not in a bad situation plus we will be more or less self sufficient.

If you googel Expat Insurance I am sure you will find something better than $1200 per month

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Subject comes up now and again, I wondered the same thing, I guess those that do go through with it hope that their parents stay healthy.
I have heard of people taking "medical vacations" back to their home countries for serious medical treatment in situations like this. Especially for things like major dental work. But still. emergencies come up more often at this age, and to be without health insurance is very risky.

Other things to consider might be the question of, how often does the government sue the I-864 sponsor for defaulting on his beneficiaries?

Secondly, parents should try to get a job somewhere, even low wage but with benefits. Hard to find these days, but some large retailers like Nordstrom still offer benefits to full time employees.

Timeline
I did a search in google for expat insurance and came up with some pretty good ones, not cheap but no way as bad as $1200 per month. It is worth doing a search, if I can find out which ones I looked at I will post it. I have a job interview lined up for when I get out there and if I am successful I will have insurance for myself and my hubby so I am keeping my fingers crossed as I am over 60 now, only by 8 months :lol:

It is a worry I agree and to have to worry about it would drive me dememted but my husband will also be able to work once we are out there so we are not in a bad situation plus we will be more or less self sufficient.

If you googel Expat Insurance I am sure you will find something better than $1200 per month

I did a quick look as well as I thought it looked about right.

In round numbers depending on limits, deductibles etc and as a guideline only

$1,000 a month at age 60

$1,500 a month at age 65

Hitting $2,000 at 70.

For two.

I have heard of people taking "medical vacations" back to their home countries for serious medical treatment in situations like this. Especially for things like major dental work. But still. emergencies come up more often at this age, and to be without health insurance is very risky.

Many coutries are cracking doen on this, depends where you come from.

Other things to consider might be the question of, how often does the government sue the I-864 sponsor for defaulting on his beneficiaries?

I doubt anybody knows, never happened to my knowledge.

Secondly, parents should try to get a job somewhere, even low wage but with benefits. Hard to find these days, but some large retailers like Nordstrom still offer benefits to full time employees.

Do they employ the over 60's. and if so on what package?. We get the AARP magazine, if there was such an employer I am sure they would get plenty of coverage!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

All the info I got from google about expat insurance seams very limited on coverage... and it looks like you have to pay out first then claim it back.... or the policey was not available in MA... so I think the plans I have looked at with companies that I know are widely used her in MA will work out best... even if it is about $1200 per month for mom and dad....

Dad plans on working so if he gets anysort of insurance then its a bonus but we have to count on having to pay for the insurance ourselves....

But thanks for the info....

Kezzie

Timeline

Apologies for my typo's, the edit function seems to be playing up.

All the info I got from google about expat insurance seams very limited on coverage... and it looks like you have to pay out first then claim it back.... or the policey was not available in MA... so I think the plans I have looked at with companies that I know are widely used her in MA will work out best... even if it is about $1200 per month for mom and dad....

Dad plans on working so if he gets anysort of insurance then its a bonus but we have to count on having to pay for the insurance ourselves....

But thanks for the info....

Kezzie

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390718

A question of the day

Yeh I knew about the fact that if they were to try and return to the UK for medical treatment they would be charged.... I have had to take out travel/medical insurance to visit Scotland in 3 weeks time for both myself (UK Citizen) and my husband....

But I did find out that my medical insurance here in MA gives me limited coverage outside the US and our Creditcard we used to purchase the flight tickets also gives travel insurance... but not much....

Kezzie

There are clinics and hospitals who provide free treatment for people who does not have health insurance. Check with someone in your local area who had brought immigrant parents in USA.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline
There are clinics and hospitals who provide free treatment for people who does not have health insurance. Check with someone in your local area who had brought immigrant parents in USA.

Minimum patch up and out the door service.

Treatment is not the word I would use.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We brought my mother-in-law here in February of last year, and had a rude awakening about health insurance after she got here. She is 65 years old.

First of all, she is inelegible for any govt benefits of any kind, unless she works 40 quarters and contributes to Social Security. I searched for any kind of health insurance plan for her, had my Dr.'s office people search, and our local hospital searched. We could not find any insurance at any price......because at 65 years old, all insurance plans are geared to a person having Medicare.

I found one company on the internet that claimed they would insure anybody, called them, and smelled a scam. When I searched the internet for comments related to their service, it turned out that they pretty much are a scam.

So all we can do is try to negotiate discounts for her whenever she gets medical care. My Dr. heavily discounts her, and sometimes treats her for free since he is also an older Filipino. Our local hospital gives her the Medicare price as long as we pay cash.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, I did find this on Medicare's website:

" You will be eligible to apply for Medicare if you have paid into Social Security for at least 10 years or you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits on your spouse’s earnings. If you do not meet these requirements, you can still get Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) by paying a monthly premium if you are a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years.

Also, anyone who is age 65 and a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien with five years of residency in the United States can sign up for Medicare Part B medical insurance and pay a monthly premium."

So to me it looks like you need to have a 2 part plan:

1. Bridge the gap for the first 5 years by finding some sort of insurance that's not a scam, or negotiate fees, and/or go back to their home country for anything that deems it so.

2. Apply for Medicare and pay the premiums after 5 years. I wonder what the premiums from Medicare are like...

Seems like a picnic...

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline:

12/29/2004 Applied for SSN at local office

2/26/2005 Married

4/8/2005 AOS NOA Receipt

4/25/2005 EAD NOA Receipt

5/05/2005 RFE for Vaccination Supplement

5/7/2005 Biometrics Appointment

5/23/2005 Online approval of EAD

5/28/2005 Mailed AP form to Lockbox

6/8/2005 Email that Response to RFE Received on 6/6

6/20/05 Received AP NOA with receipt date of 5/30 and

notice date of 6/17

7/16/05 EAD Denied - Claimed did not have proof of AOS

7/18/05 Mailed 2nd EAD Application

7/25/05 EAD NOA Receipt (round 2)

7/27/05 Online approval of AP

8/1/05 Received AP!!!

9/26/05 Successfully used AP document at JFK

10/21/05 AOS APPROVED, no interview!!!

10/26/05 Received AOS approval letter in mail

10/27/05 Received 2 Year Green Card in the mail!

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

7/23/07 Mailed Docs to Vermont

8/9/07 Check Clears Bank, No NOA yet

8/24/07 Receive NOA2 - Biometrics Appt for 9/8/07

8/25/07 Mailed NOA2 back asking for new date, requested Sat 9/29 or later

9/6/07 Receive new NOA2 - Biometric Appt for 9/21/07 (laugh and just accept it)

9/17/07 Receive NOA1 with a date of 8/8/07

3/1/08 RFE - Bitter

3/19/08 After two calls with USCIS, send response to RFE

3/21/08 USCIS signs for response to RFE, wait continues

4/29/08 Receive email of approval, card production ordered!!

5/2/2008 Received approval letter in the mail! Waiting on card.

5/7/2008 Received 10 Year Green Card in Mail!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.