blessedblessed

how to wait patiently & positively

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello All!

I was lucky enough to spend 7 months (I studied there) with my fiance in his country (Morocco). I returned home (US) 3 months ago. I'm trying to keep myself busy with work and school (I'm a university student), but still feel distracted with this waiting process. It's hard for me to feel focused or grounded in the things I do now that I'm home. I think part of what I'm experiencing is reverse-culture shock and the other part is simply missing my fiance. I'm curious about how you all have managed to keep focused, positive, and patient while your loved one(s) are so far away. I look forward to hearing any of your anecdotes, stories or tips! :)

yes, it is quite a challenge. we use yahoovideo every day. it does help a lot although sometimes it makes it harder to be so far away!i see something here about magic jack? how does that work>?but emails are great way to let them know youa re thinking of them. and of course, they will "get" it as they are missing you too:--)....todd

"life is a journey"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Definitely waiting is the hardest in the whole process and the different time zone even makes it harder to keep connected. One thing that we used with my husband and that helped me a lot is that in addition to the hours of video Skype, we send each other mails first thing in the morning and right before going to bed. That makes me feel we keep connected more… Now for two years right when I open my eyes I run to the laptop and open my mails like a kid open a gift:) and that makes my day:)

Try to remain as positive as u can. For sure you will have moments of doubt but don’t ever forget you both are on the same side and after all the day you will see him again you will realize how it worth it all:)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All!

I was lucky enough to spend 7 months (I studied there) with my fiance in his country (Morocco). I returned home (US) 3 months ago. I'm trying to keep myself busy with work and school (I'm a university student), but still feel distracted with this waiting process. It's hard for me to feel focused or grounded in the things I do now that I'm home. I think part of what I'm experiencing is reverse-culture shock and the other part is simply missing my fiance. I'm curious about how you all have managed to keep focused, positive, and patient while your loved one(s) are so far away. I look forward to hearing any of your anecdotes, stories or tips! :)

Skype, and work is working for me, i left my laptop to my wife and pay for her to have internet so we always have that communication level.

9/20/09 We got married <3

uscis.jpg

11/15/09 USCIS received I-130

11/20/09 NoA1 received

11/25/09 USCIS received I-129f

12/1/09 NoA1 received

2/11/10 I-130&I-129f Approved!

2/15/10 Received NoA2 for both

2/17/10 NVC Case number issued

nvc2.png

2/18/10 Emailed DS3032

2/19/10 Received AOS bill

2/24/10 AoS bill paid online $70.00

2/24/10 IV bill paid online $400.00

2/25/2010 AoS fee bill shows Paid

3/1/2010 IV bill shows Paid

8/13/2010 Sent DS-230

8/17/2010 Sent AOS

8/18/2010 NVC received DS-230

8/19/2010 NVC received AOS

9/14/2010 Received RFE Checklist

9/20/2010 Sent RFE checklist and supporting documents

9/28/2010 NVC received FEDEX

10/19/2010 Sign In Failed

11/06/2010 Received appointment date!

EMBSSY.png

11/15/2010(1)11/19(2) & 11/24(3) Medical-Passed

12/6/2010 Interview Date-PASSED!

12/10/2010 Visa Recv'd - 2go

12/14/2010 POE in LA

12/01/2012 File for Adjustment of Status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Definitely waiting is the hardest in the whole process and the different time zone even makes it harder to keep connected. One thing that we used with my husband and that helped me a lot is that in addition to the hours of video Skype, we send each other mails first thing in the morning and right before going to bed. That makes me feel we keep connected more… Now for two years right when I open my eyes I run to the laptop and open my mails like a kid open a gift:) and that makes my day:)

Try to remain as positive as u can. For sure you will have moments of doubt but don’t ever forget you both are on the same side and after all the day you will see him again you will realize how it worth it all:)

I disaagree. Teaching them to drive was the hardest part. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

not TMI in my book :D the more info the merrier!

i totally have thought the same thing about the shaving legs business.

in any case--i like your point about making something fun to look forward to. that's so important. and tonight that's exactly what i'll be doing--seeing harry potter! :D

thanks for your response. you make waiting sound almost fun!

Well, I can't say I am succeeding in waiting patiently, per se, but I'm making it. This is what I do:

• First of all, work full time, and go to school part time. That occupies a lot of my time
  • Talk/chat/video chat every day
  • Exercise almost every day
  • Read a lot
  • Clean
  • Cook
  • Crochet baby blankets for the ever-increasing number of babies my friends seem to be having
  • Recognize little milestones and exciting events, like an extra day off of work, or the Harry Potter movie--always having SOMEthing to look forward to
  • Spend way too much time on VJ
  • Meditate
  • Try to appreciate all of the little things that will probably go away once he gets here--like being able to eat chips and salsa for dinner, or not having to shave my legs on a regular basis (TMI? Sorry! Ha ha ha!)

I have countdowns/count-ups for everything. A woman I work with has told me I'm not patient at all. It has me wondering--what IS patience, exactly? Does it mean you're happy to wait? Does it mean you function normally while waiting? Well, I don't know anyone who would be happy to sit back and wait during this type of situation. But I think that having a normal, productive, and reasonably happy life during this process is a reasonable goal.

Good luck!

August 23, 2010- K1 papers sent to CSC

August 30, 2010-NOA1

January 26, 2011-NOA2

March 7, 2011-Interview--Approved!!

March 11, 2011-Visa in hand

March 22, 2011-Arrived in the US!!!!!

August 22, 2011-Filed for AOS

November 25, 2011-EAD in hand

December 02, 2011-Green Card in hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

not TMI in my book :D the more info the merrier!

i totally have thought the same thing about the shaving legs business.

in any case--i like your point about making something fun to look forward to. that's so important. and tonight that's exactly what i'll be doing--seeing harry potter! :D

thanks for your response. you make waiting sound almost fun!

We use to text a few times a day,talk every night, watch videos together while sitting on messenger (that was fun a virtual movie), we played games together, sent emails and cards. We use to do the countdown of our next visit. I didn't have a lot to do so I mostly focused on the whole process and paperwork, friends and family, the future.

Most of all, just hang in there. The end result is the most amazing thing. Smile :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i really like the idea of emailing in the morning and at night because those are typically the most difficult times for me!

what's the time difference for you two now?

for abdelhay and i it's 5 hours.

but yes... i think it will help if i think about how this period of waiting is worth our future together...

see, i think it's all about the positive spin on things.

August 23, 2010- K1 papers sent to CSC

August 30, 2010-NOA1

January 26, 2011-NOA2

March 7, 2011-Interview--Approved!!

March 11, 2011-Visa in hand

March 22, 2011-Arrived in the US!!!!!

August 22, 2011-Filed for AOS

November 25, 2011-EAD in hand

December 02, 2011-Green Card in hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello All!

Jessica, I too have felt the same way. I am a senior in my university. I have seen my grades fall dramtically this past semester. All I can suggest is to spend as much time with your honey as possible. Yahoo video chat... mmmmm... I can't say enough about how that helps me and Ahmed! :thumbs:

I wish you a speedy reunion! :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i really like the idea of emailing in the morning and at night because those are typically the most difficult times for me!

what's the time difference for you two now?

for abdelhay and i it's 5 hours.

I am in Casablanca and Yusuf is in DC so for us too it is 5hours difference. I go to bed when it is still afternoon for him:)

Filed: Timeline

What kind of service provider do you have to be able to text international for free? I would love to be able to do this.

I am very lucky Peru and Miami is in the same time zone :-)

My cell phone company is Metro PCS. It's $50 a month for unlimited everything. I can text Peru and other countries unlimited. They call it text talk, so my carrier connects with other phone carries in other countries....for example...I can text anyone who has the following carriers in Russia:

Baykalwestcom

Delta Telecom

MegaFon

Mobile Telesystems

Nizhegorodskaya Cellular Communications

Novosibirsk Cellular Communications - 450

Saratov Cellular System

SMARTS

Ural GSM

VimpelCom

Edited by LADUQUE13

• 2 weeks later...

We use webcam all the time. Even when he's at work. This boss understands the need for one, and I get to chat with him then.

He also wakes up at 3am every morning to text me while I get ready for work. :)

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.