visiting canadian wife...do they keep information on file

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi so this is what happened.

My Canadian wife was trying to visit me in the states (we were both driving together through buffalo). She was denied entry because they said they thought she was moving here with me (she packed a lot of stuff and had no return ticket since we were driving).

Anyways. I want to visit december 20th. I never have had a problem going into canada but am i now flagged? I was asked a lot of questions returning back to usa after we turned around (to drop her back off at home) and i tried to cross back in like 3 days. I have a us passport. Now it seems like they are typing all this information up on their screen.

Will I have a problem flying into canada? Should i bring bank statements showing ties to the usa. I do not want to be refused entry to visit her.

In one of my visits I had told them I was married to a canadian citizen and they still let me through. My last visit I went for her graduation and when they asked me the purpose of visit i said a friends graduation.

Can I not even mention I'm visiting my wife? Should I just say I'm visiting family down there? I just want to cross smoothly and am very paranoid.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My Canadian wife was trying to visit me in the states (we were both driving together through buffalo). She was denied entry because they said they thought she was moving here with me (she packed a lot of stuff and had no return ticket since we were driving).

Anyways. I want to visit december 20th. I never have had a problem going into canada but am i now flagged? I was asked a lot of questions returning back to usa after we turned around (to drop her back off at home) and i tried to cross back in like 3 days. I have a us passport. Now it seems like they are typing all this information up on their screen.

Will I have a problem flying into canada? Should i bring bank statements showing ties to the usa. I do not want to be refused entry to visit her.

In one of my visits I had told them I was married to a canadian citizen and they still let me through. My last visit I went for her graduation and when they asked me the purpose of visit i said a friends graduation.

Can I not even mention I'm visiting my wife? Should I just say I'm visiting family down there? I just want to cross smoothly and am very paranoid.

This is crazy! I assume you are a USC. With your passport there should be no problem entering the US. Is there a problem entering Canada to see your wife?

The Canadians and the Americans share information but you shouldn't have as much difficulty entering Canada as you do entering the US.... even if you are a US citizen. Definitely bring proof of ties just in case, though. Here's a good link for you: Visitation FAQ's. It mentions K-1 Visa applicants but it provides good guidelines for all visitors to other countries. A good proof of tie is your return ticket. You should be fine.

I'm going to move your thread from the Working & Traveling section to the Canada Forum, as you will receive the most pertinent advice there.

Oh, and never never never lie to the officers. It makes things worse. Just be honest and know that you are not doing anything illegal. Have a good visit! :)

iagree.gif

This is crazy! I assume you are a USC. With your passport there should be no problem entering the US. Is there a problem entering Canada to see your wife?

I am a USC.

There was never a problem seeing my wife. I mean usually I drive with a car from USA so they prob figure i am returning. I just felt bad when I entered the kingston ontario checkpoint to come home (a different checkpoint that my gps took me to) they told me step out of the car and hand over keys. put my hands where they can be seen and follow the officer inside. they ransacked the few things in my car (didn't even bring much with me). they used my own flashlight in my car and threw it in the back seat.

They grilled me for like an hour. made me feel like i was a criminal coming into my own country.

Sorry about that 2100. Sometimes you get the real jerks upon re-entry. Some of them come up from the Southern border so they're still in that mode. It'####### or miss, really. I imagine pretty much everyone who travels regularly gets one sooner or later. We feel your pain. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i cross nearly every weekend into Canada to see my husband and always just say I am visiting family. If they ask who, I say my husband, his mom, etc... I always add more family members to the mix to make it seem like a get-together. They know I always come up on Friday and leave on Sunday and have even stopped asking for the travel consent letter for my son who goes with me.

I only got pulled over one time when I forgot to take off my old Oregon plates and put on my new Washington ones (the DMV showed the OR ones were old). I have seen the border guys take an entire load of neatly stacked 2x4's out of a guys truck and just throw them all back in when they are done. The guy had to take them all back out again and re-stack them before he could drive off.

Definitely take pay stubs with you, rental/lease agreement or house payment bill, cable bill, etc...just in case - it shows you will be back to the states at the end of your visit. Always look at the border/customs officer, give short, direct and honest answers, and don't play with your hair, chew your nails, bite your lip, etc...no reason to be nervous but it will show if you are.

i cross nearly every weekend into Canada to see my husband and always just say I am visiting family. If they ask who, I say my husband, his mom, etc... I always add more family members to the mix to make it seem like a get-together. They know I always come up on Friday and leave on Sunday and have even stopped asking for the travel consent letter for my son who goes with me.

I only got pulled over one time when I forgot to take off my old Oregon plates and put on my new Washington ones (the DMV showed the OR ones were old). I have seen the border guys take an entire load of neatly stacked 2x4's out of a guys truck and just throw them all back in when they are done. The guy had to take them all back out again and re-stack them before he could drive off.

Definitely take pay stubs with you, rental/lease agreement or house payment bill, cable bill, etc...just in case - it shows you will be back to the states at the end of your visit. Always look at the border/customs officer, give short, direct and honest answers, and don't play with your hair, chew your nails, bite your lip, etc...no reason to be nervous but it will show if you are.

thank you for the advice. much appreciated

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The main issue isn't going to be with you entering either country, but your wife when just coming to the US to visit. You probably haven't had any information flagged on you at all, just her. So there should be no issues as long as you are the one travelling and not her...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

thank you for the advice. much appreciated

Obviously my posts are invisible. :hehe:

The main issue isn't going to be with you entering either country, but your wife when just coming to the US to visit. You probably haven't had any information flagged on you at all, just her. So there should be no issues as long as you are the one travelling and not her...

Disagree. They're married and they entered together (or tried to). They'll be linked.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You as the USC will be fine visiting Canada.

I was flagged in the middle of my Immigration process for the same reason your wife was. My husband still comes up every weekend and tells them he'll be here from Friday to Sunday night visiting me, his wife. They let him in and out no problem. He's been doing it for 3 years now, and he knows 90% of the US border guards now. They always know its him, and they speak pretty on terms with him too. He's only been pulled aside ONCE in the past year on the Canadian side coming into Canada. He said he was visiting me and the officer wouldn't let my husband explain that I was the one trying to Immigrate to the USA, not him to Canada! Once he got inside he just told them and he left within 20 minutes.

You'll be fine! The one who is immigrating is the one who gets flagged. If anything happens, you'll be an hour later than planned at max.

Be calm, and ALWAYS tell the truth. Keep something from your job with you. Like a swipe card, or some bills. It can always help if you are ever stuck in a sticky situation!

Edited by chyiochan

You are asking if you should deceive the USCIS. Others won't tell you plainly. Don't do it, It is illegal what you are contemplating here. You know the USCIS monitors this site, right?

Honesty is the best policy. Never lie.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a user here who said when she was traveling from Canada to the USA to visit her husband, but when asked she said, visiting a friend. The border guards went through her stuff and found her marriage certificate. She got denied that trip and got flagged. When she/they went to file, she got approved but was put into AP for over a year. It was hell for her.

My policy is always tell the truth. Maybe look into Nexus too.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

You are asking if you should deceive the USCIS. Others won't tell you plainly. Don't do it, It is illegal what you are contemplating here. You know the USCIS monitors this site, right?

Honesty is the best policy. Never lie.

:star:

well it is being honest. she is family...if questioned further my intent was to say wife. but generically speaking i was just thinking about using the word "family".

sorry if it came out wrong. i didn't mean to lie

Obviously my posts are invisible. :hehe:

Disagree. They're married and they entered together (or tried to). They'll be linked.

Krikit,

Sorry I was in a rush earlier to get to work and i replied to the last post i saw. The funny thing is i actually did think about how i didn't say thank you to you.

Thanks though for your input. greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe look into Nexus too.

Agreed...I have a Nexus card and it's been a god send!

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.