Mehmet&Elena

Birth Certificate for I-129F

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

A good question that was raised, and maybe you can help answer it is: if USCIS requires the "long" form, why don't the instructions say that? For everyone's benefit, this a direct paste from the instructions PDF on the USCIS site for the I-129F:

"A. If you were born in the United States, give USCIS a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate."

Nothing about what kind of birth certificate they're looking for.

I could only speculate on the reason USCIS instructions are incomplete but this is not the only instance of such. For what it's worth, only a few US States issue anything other than what would be considered a long form birth certificate, so it's not a common issue. "British Empire" countries are where this issue comes up most often.

Another pet peeve is that USCIS doesn't explain exactly what they mean by evidence of meeting in person except when they issue an RFE for having submitting evidence that isn't sufficient. Seeing those RFE's are how we know their expectations.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to my AOS interview with my short form BC and they said nothing about the long form at the interview. Two weeks after the interview I received a form i-72 which I think is an RFE requesting a long form BC and I needed to send it or respond with in two weeks in order for them to continue processing the case.

I quick ordered one from Canada (Winnipeg,Manitoba)and had it to them with in a week. It has been signed for verified by UPS so I know they received it.

It's been almost a month and I haven't heard anything else I'm still pending.

Edited by Pegworth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
A good question that was raised, and maybe you can help answer it is: if USCIS requires the "long" form, why don't the instructions say that? For everyone's benefit, this a direct paste from the instructions PDF on the USCIS site for the I-129F:

"A. If you were born in the United States, give USCIS a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate."

Nothing about what kind of birth certificate they're looking for.

Well, my opinion on the WHY they don't say a long form is that we already have a sort of long form Birth Certificate. I know a Canadian who was denied coming to the US because he used the wrong BC. It's also somewhat redundant if you already have a passport to even worry about the BC at all for the American Citizen. It says a BC OR a Passport. I just used my passport and saved myself the extra paper...BUT Rob and I needed to show we met and both of our passports had evidence in them.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the reason most Canadians have short form BC's is because for the longest time that's all that was required to cross the US border for Canadians that's why most don't have a long form or lost it or never carry it on their person. I think your miss informed because they went from not accepting BC's and strait to requiring passports. There was never a gap where they all of a sudden required long form BC's for Canadians to cross the border not in my 40 plus years crossing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have a question regarding the birth certificate for the I-129F. I just read on another post the USCIS requires the "birth certificate long form" for proof of citizenship. Is this true? I sent them the regular certified birth certificate, front and back. I had an extra one so I sent them the original. I hope this will be sufficient.

Thanks

You are the US citizen? This is for an I-129f petition? You are fine.

SOME countries have both LONG and SHORT form birth certificates and the consulates require (usually) the LONG form for the beneficiary (foreign half of the couple) to present at the VISA interview. You are filing a petition, you need to copy the front and back of your birth certificate. That is all.

What is a "long form" birth certificate? The official State of Ohio certified birth certificate is not enough?

Yes it is enough

Great! The certificate I sent them includes my parents name and their place of birth. Its signed by the city clerk with seal.

Sleep well.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.