criandjen

Border police

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

After looking at your question last night I have been talking with some friends over your case.You are not doing yourself any favours by staying out of the country for them lengths of time.Your reasoning that you are staying within the guidelines of your resident status is with some merit but not filing taxes could turn around and bite you.I like to think of myself as a "tax expert" after working with the IRS for longer that I care to remember and not in a million years would I ever advise someone not to file.Your just opening yourself to a lot of needless paper work and time wasting.

Filed: Other Timeline

All the important stuff has been said. You've been abandoned your US residence (never actually established it) and have been abusing your Green Card as a tourist visa in an attempt to circumvent immigration law.

CBP now caught on to your game. You've been out of the country 10 months and the next time you enter, they will look again how long you've been out. They also will want to know how long you've been inside the US and they will ask you to show proof of residence in form of tax returns, lease or home ownership documents, car insurance, etc. If from now on a pattern of being out of the US a lot establishes, they will determine you are not a resident anymore. There is really no way to avoid it, other than moving to the US as quickly as possible. Rather than having your card taken away, you should surrender it and stay on good terms with USCIS.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am not sure if this is the right section of the forum.

We got married in Miami on sept 2008, we applied for the green card and received one on july 2009. We never lived in the US but we travelled back and forth from Italy to US. Last time i entered the US (june 2010) i had been out of the states for 10 months and the officer gave me a hard time at the border and wrote on my italian passport that i have been out of US for 10 months.

Are they allowed to do that?

I will be traveling to the US in december 2010 after i've been out of the states for 5 months. What can i expect at the border?

You asked TWO questions, so I am going to give you TWO answers...

1). They are ALLOWED to do WHATEVER they want.. They are the government...

2) As others have stated on here time and time again, you risk having your green card taken.

Its all on you now.... good luck...

Did you ever think of doing a forums search?

Hopefully you'll actually come back and let us know what happened afterwards unlike most of the posters below. It all seems to be 3rd hand information, and different circumstances than what you've said here. Work contracts, etc.

http://www.visajourn...ar-on-greencard

http://www.visajourn...sing-green-card

http://www.visajourn...4-long-time-out

http://www.visajourn...e-than-one-year

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.