livingalie

I need help on what i can do

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ok i will try and make a long story short , i am the usc and i married a uk citizen .he came here on the vwp we got married and then adjusted status which was approved , now when we first married i thought that he loved me though i kinda noticed that he wasnt as happy as i thought he would be to finally marry me . but i thought immigration was stressing him out and that fact he had been out of status. so anyway we passed aos interview but on the way home from that he acted weird jus acting as though he wasnt happy that mess was all over so as soon as he got his greencard he was working and thats when i really started to see the change he became distant and started messing with other women . in the last 6 months we have had major issues with him and other women , calling my house text messages so someone i know tricked him on a chat and said she was someone else and he basically said that he was getting a lawyer so he could leave me , he has told other people the same so he married me for green card , i had tried very hard to work marriage out but wanted nothing to do with being married so my question is should he get to stay in usa after all the money and time ? he was mentally and emtionally abusive to me and my kids cuz he was so unhappy whole marriage.last week he got physical when i confronted him when a woman left a message on my phone . he threw me on the ground and police were called so im not sure what will happen . so in nutshell he was waiting til conditions were lifted so he could leave me . i reported to ice i believe this is a possible fraud . as for evidence we have no pics together since we have been married and only thing we had together was car insurance and a bank account i have closed due to when he left he drained it .. so i dont believe he should be able to stay in usa what can i do ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get divorced?

His immigration issues are his problem, you are still on the hook for the Affadavit of Support, but that is about it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i dont think he should be able to stay in usa and i want him to leave after all the stuff i have dealt with why should he be free to live here its fraud. i want to be a step ahead of him and find out when he tries to file for the waiver what will happen ? is he able to be approved ? what do you need to be approved ?

Edited by livingalie

Timeline

Once the divorce is final he can file to remove conditions on his own.

Does he he want to? Whether he succeeds is down to how solid his application is.

You are wasting your time an effort on this, sounds like you have more important issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
i reported to ice i believe this is a possible fraud

You have already done your bit, it is now out of your hands.

Filed: Other Timeline

It appears indeed that you have been married for the Green Card and not for love and that must be an awkward feeling, indeed. Unfortunately, one the immigrant has received his Green Card, there is not much that can be done anymore. ICE has their hands full to track down hardcore criminals who are illegally in the country; they really do not have time to investigate marriage-related cases unless you provide them with overwhelming evidence of fraud.

One thing you need to know is that your husband can only remove conditions on his own if his divorce to you is final. So if you are separated but not divorced by the time ROC needs to be filed, that's a major obstacle. If your husband becomes violent, call the police, file a report, and seek a restraining order against him. There is really not much more you can do at this point in time.

Final word of wisdom: before you get married again, make sure you know the guy well enough before you sign on the dotted line. I was out of status for a very long time and my now wife and I still dated for years until I proposed, and it took another year until we got married. Marriage is nothing that should be done in a hurry if you believe in the "'til death do you part" thing.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I would cut your losses and move on. You can't "be one step ahead of him" since he already has the green card. As long as he can prove that he entered the marriage in good faith, he can remove conditions on his own if you two get divorced. You've reported him to ICE, now take this as a life lesson and move on.

EDIT: How do you know he married you for a green card? You say it's because he has a lawyer so he can leave you, but that doesn't mean it's fraud. Maybe he was just unhappy.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would cut your losses and move on. You can't "be one step ahead of him" since he already has the green card. As long as he can prove that he entered the marriage in good faith, he can remove conditions on his own if you two get divorced. You've reported him to ICE, now take this as a life lesson and move on.

This.

I wish you the best of luck!

/starburst :star:

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.