Nik+Heather

Country Portals

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I don't know about you, but I try to monitor what questions are being asked by our fellow UK-ers, particularly when newbies enter the fray here, so I often check the country portal for the new thread topics. Unfortunately, I often miss (for days) people who have selected one of the constituent countries because it's just less convenient, and since there are fewer people not always anything new. Aside from the occasional question about long distances to travel for the medical and interview, is there really that much difference in how the process works for someone from Scotland vs. Wales vs. England? It seems the commonality of the questions exceeds and differences.

It is my feeling that for the purposes of Visa Journey there is no gain from separating these out, especially when it is in a category which includes Iran, India, Germany, etc. It seems like it's too fine a point, and for immigration purposes it doesn't matter. However, I recognize that some people have very strong identification with one or another over the whole, so I wanted to open a discussion about possibly rolling them together here rather than running straight off to the site discussion to request it.

So, how do you all use the country portals? Do you agree that it would be more useful if there was just one UK country portal? What if people could put UK (and only UK) in their profile, but could keep the different flag icons next to their posts (not sure if that's possible)?

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am currently flying the Welsh flag, I change it every now and then to an English flag. And back again.

The only real difference is between those who do not have British heritage and those who do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am currently flying the Welsh flag, I change it every now and then to an English flag. And back again.

The only real difference is between those who do not have British heritage and those who do.

So...are you in favor of, neutral to or against the idea of rolling all into the UK for the purposes of VJ? Does the use of the graphic (or not) for the flag change your answer? Your answer makes me think that you don't care, but I don't want to assume...

I'm sort of trying to feel out the potentially affected members before proposing it to Ewok.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

I agree with you, I like the idea of UK instead of individual nations. Technically, the UK is one country that consists of England, Wales, Scotland and NI, though people may claim those each as nationalities. Technically, I should have a Cornish flag on my profile as my fiance is from Cornwall (and many in Cornwall would argue that they should have just as much autonomy as Wales or Scotland and that Cornish is just as much a nationality as the others). Yes, a person can be Scottish rather than English, but everyone born in the UK is British.

But all of that is really just theoretical. For practical immigration purposes, especially since there is only one Embassy at which all of these people would interview (London), I think that having everyone under the UK portal would be a good idea.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is another, Belfast.

UK would be simplest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

When I signed up for VJ, I never considered that just England might be an option. I just went straight to UK. It's seems the processes are all inherently the same, so I am strongly in favor of having simply a UK category.

Can't say I've used the country portal very much, but I think I'll be trying it out.

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

I don't even know what a country portal is.

It is sort of discriminatory allowing us to have so much choice as to flags :lol: Do any other countries have it? As far as sovereign states go, we should just have the country of the UK. Seeing as how this whole immigration thing involves talk about political countries not geographical countries.

Having said that, I do like seeing all the different flags around :)

So, how do you all use the country portals? Do you agree that it would be more useful if there was just one UK country portal? What if people could put UK (and only UK) in their profile, but could keep the different flag icons next to their posts (not sure if that's possible)?

I don't ever look at the country portals and it doesn't matter to me how it's organized on VJ.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I am the USC wife that posts, but I think it's a good idea to roll all the UK countries into the one UK flag & group (for Country Portals as well as any other grouping reason). I was surprised to see a Welsh flag/country because most places I have to select a country, Wales never appeared.

As much as my husband is Welsh and extremely proud of that, I would have to say extra help, advice, support is always appreciated. I could always indicate Welsh in our signature if UKer's like to see where everybody is from. :)

Thanks Nik & Heather!

K-1 Visa / I-129F

January 11, 2010 - I mailed K-1 Visa I-129F Petition Overnight Express Mail

February 25, 2010 - Notice date of NOA2 (read the e-mail notice on his birthday 2/26/2010)

May 12, 2010 - Interview - Approved!!!

May 25, 2010 - received Visa back in time to make May 26th Flight :)

June 9, 2010 - Married!!!

AOS:

November 1, 2010 - Sent AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation

November 03, 2010 - Delivered 9:57 am, CHICAGO, IL 60603

November 10, 2010 - Received 3 e-mail & text message NOA1s from USCIS

November 12, 2010 - Received 3 NOA1s hardcopy in mail

November 19, 2010 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in mail

December 3, 2010 - AOS - I-485 transferred to CSC

December 13, 2010 - Biometrics Appointment - Milwaukee, WI - 10:00 a.m.

January 10, 2011 - AOS Touch - I-485 - Still in Initial Review

January 19, 2011 - Complete Congresswoman inquiry paperwork and deliver it to Congresswoman's office

January 20, 2011 - Received e-mail & text message saying status updated : USCIS says AOS approved & card production ordered.

January 21, 2011 - Received multiple e-mails/texts regarding updated statuses on both AOS & EAD, some confusing!

January 26, 2011 - Received Legal Permanent Resident card in mail.

ROC:

January 2013 - Filed ROC & Received approval in June 2013

N-400 / Naturalization:

2020 - Started Naturalization ppwk prior to COVID pandemic, and when we couldn't get passport photos at local AAA office - set it aside

March 2021 - Finishing Naturalization ppwk and filing ASAP

October 4, 2022 - ASAP turned into putzing and putting off...and finally filing on 10/4/22.

11/25/22 - Received notice of N-400 Interview on 1/5/23

1/5/23 - Naturalization Interview

2/9/23 - Naturlization Oath Ceremony

Aaaah, ok, it is where it says "Portals" at the top of the page. Pfft, I thought that was some Doctor Who secret passageway.

Sorry for spamming this thread, but YES definitely change it to just the UK. VJ has a large volume of new posts every day, and it is impossible to keep up with it all. When it comes to providing helpful advice, it is easiest to do so for those from the UK. Often one can help with other countries too, but often there are variations in either procedures or the way-of-doing-things. So the Portals thing is actually a really useful way to efficiently target ones (meagre) words of advice where they can be most useful.

There is ONE Isle of Man member. Who has never posted. Think of how lonely they must feel :(

If possible, the solution that would satisfy 99% of people would be if the appearances stayed the same but all the constituent countries linked into the same portal. (And to satisfy the other 1%: the option to then filter by the country.)

There is ONE Isle of Man member. Who has never posted. Think of how lonely they must feel :(

If possible, the solution that would satisfy 99% of people would be if the appearances stayed the same but all the constituent countries linked into the same portal. (And to satisfy the other 1%: the option to then filter by the country.)

This is the best idea, I think.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

This thread might better be suited for the 'site discussions' forum (so Captain can see it and possibly make the change). Want me to move it there?

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.