TheNottleys

Police Letters

3 posts in this topic

My husband and I are in our final stage of getting his green card. I am in the US while he is going through the Embassy in London. His interview is in less than two weeks. He is British and holds a European passport. We have the Police letter for the UK and also one from whenever he was in the US on a student visa. My husband has also spent the last two years (never more than 5 months at a time in one place) playing basketball in Spain. He never needed an NIE number because his team paid for all of his living expenses. He never had a work visa because in Europe, if you hold a EU passport you can work anywhere in Europe. Is it likely that he will need a clearance letter for Spain as well? We tried getting one (just incase) directly and were unable to because he hasn't ever had an NIE number. So, we had to go through an agency which takes longer to process. I don't want to stress out about it, if it's likely that they wont even ask for it. But I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this situation. Thank you for your help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He doesn't need the police check from the States...they do their own. Don't quote me on this...but I believe they want police certificates for where he's lived over the past year. Nothing past that...if i'm wrong someone correct me, but I do believe it only goes back a year or 6 months.

If the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months And is 16 years old or older then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

If the applicant lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months And is 16 years or older at that time then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months and was 16 years or older at that time then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

If the applicant was arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there and was any age at that time then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

The Department of Homeland Security will check any police arrests in the U.S. so this isn't necessarry for the applicant to do.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.