UmmSqueakster

Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

Many people will simply answer this by saying that they want to have the right to wear anything they want. True. But its the stuborn folks who get into arguments and make the rest of us look bad. All middle easterner should realize that even though they may have been born here, they are not natives of this land. Trying going back to Saudi, Yemen etc, the difference between natives and non natives could be seen. Pakis are not even discriminated against even in the middleeast. I dont understand why the middle easterners have such a problem when it comes to them in US.

Should we aspire to be like Saudia, Pakistan et al, or should we aspire to uphold the ideals of the constitution and the ideals that founded this country?

Since this is a country of immigrants, very few of us are natives here. As different cultures come, we blend and add more to the mosaic. I'm proud to add my european heratige and muslim faith to this country's flavor. Of interest to you, perhaps, is many of those who contributed to this thread are in fact, not middle easterners, but rather american women who have embraced islam. I know my family has been here for close to 2 centuries. We've fought in the civil war, world war 1, world war II, etc. I'm about as native to these lands as you can get, short of being a native american.

The key here are rights, as you mentioned. I'm not going to give up my rights because someone is uncomfortable with me. With that attitude, blacks would still be sitting at the back of the bus. We're not second class citizens :no: Last time I checked, there were, ideally, not suppose to be any second class citizens here.

I dont think people of european heritage are going to be profiled. The fact still remains that all the terrorists are from the middle east. So inorder to make the travel safe, we need to comply with safety concerns. I would like to add that Pakistanis are descriminated against in Saudi. True we have to act like a mosaic but as muslims we need to understand the reality of times and stop creating a fuss about things.

Most buses in the Houston metro are filled with African Americans. The only difference is that the whites have moved on and have left the buses. Progress cannot be accomplished by simply demanding rights but by rather having a positve attitude and hard work. Jews are the best example. Asians didnt demand rights, they worked their way up. Its the turn of Muslims to show they are peaceful, law abiding and adaptable.

I dont understand all the complaints on profiling muslims. I am originally from Pakistan. I know that someone wearing a tshirt with hebrew text would have been asked to take it off. Infact there are no tshirts with urdu language text in Pakistan. I am frequent traveller with an average of 4 round trips a month and have been to the smallest and largest airports in US and Canada. By the grace of God have never been yet singled out. I mind my own buisness. And so should most travellers. Now here is my question

-Why would you want to wear a tshirt with arabic text on it on the plane. You know the situation around the world.

-Why would you want to start reading the Quran on the plane. You know the issues. If you want to pray, you can pray silently and recite in your heart. Its that simple.

My mom and wife wears Paki dress when she travels from Pak to US (on American Airlines) and Trousers for travel with US. Its just that simple. She has never had any problems.

In my view, mind your own buisness when travellings. If you need to wear hijab, simply take the numerous muslim airlines( turkish, egypt air, PIA, Saudi, Emirates, Qatar etc). or travel by road if in the US. If you are wearing hijab, do you really have to go to the waterparks in Florida.

Jews and Christians (in roman times) and throughout history adjusted their ways to suit the prevailing times. Its the turn of Muslims now.

Many people will simply answer this by saying that they want to have the right to wear anything they want. True. But its the stuborn folks who get into arguments and make the rest of us look bad. All middle easterner should realize that even though they may have been born here, they are not natives of this land. Trying going back to Saudi, Yemen etc, the difference between natives and non natives could be seen. Pakis are not even discriminated against even in the middleeast. I dont understand why the middle easterners have such a problem when it comes to them in US.

I was not taught that to wear trousers was more American than wearing salwar kameez, or that to wear a cowboy hat was more American than to wear hijab. I don't think a gandora is less American than a mini skirt. Why should eurocentric practices outweigh those of other cultures? Those of us with European heritage are not somehow more entitled, more American (although many think differently). A white face isn't more American than a brown face, New York accented English is not more American than Egyptian accented English and Chinatown isn't less American than Greenwich Village.

European ancesstory is the majority in the country. Majority rules. That has to be accepted.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Should we aspire to be like Saudia, Pakistan et al, or should we aspire to uphold the ideals of the constitution and the ideals that founded this country?

Since this is a country of immigrants, very few of us are natives here. As different cultures come, we blend and add more to the mosaic. I'm proud to add my european heratige and muslim faith to this country's flavor. Of interest to you, perhaps, is many of those who contributed to this thread are in fact, not middle easterners, but rather american women who have embraced islam. I know my family has been here for close to 2 centuries. We've fought in the civil war, world war 1, world war II, etc. I'm about as native to these lands as you can get, short of being a native american.

The key here are rights, as you mentioned. I'm not going to give up my rights because someone is uncomfortable with me. With that attitude, blacks would still be sitting at the back of the bus. We're not second class citizens :no: Last time I checked, there were, ideally, not suppose to be any second class citizens here.

I dont think people of european heritage are going to be profiled. The fact still remains that all the terrorists are from the middle east. So inorder to make the travel safe, we need to comply with safety concerns. I would like to add that Pakistanis are descriminated against in Saudi. True we have to act like a mosaic but as muslims we need to understand the reality of times and stop creating a fuss about things.

Most buses in the Houston metro are filled with African Americans. The only difference is that the whites have moved on and have left the buses. Progress cannot be accomplished by simply demanding rights but by rather having a positve attitude and hard work. Jews are the best example. Asians didnt demand rights, they worked their way up. Its the turn of Muslims to show they are peaceful, law abiding and adaptable.

I dont understand all the complaints on profiling muslims. I am originally from Pakistan. I know that someone wearing a tshirt with hebrew text would have been asked to take it off. Infact there are no tshirts with urdu language text in Pakistan. I am frequent traveller with an average of 4 round trips a month and have been to the smallest and largest airports in US and Canada. By the grace of God have never been yet singled out. I mind my own buisness. And so should most travellers. Now here is my question

-Why would you want to wear a tshirt with arabic text on it on the plane. You know the situation around the world.

-Why would you want to start reading the Quran on the plane. You know the issues. If you want to pray, you can pray silently and recite in your heart. Its that simple.

My mom and wife wears Paki dress when she travels from Pak to US (on American Airlines) and Trousers for travel with US. Its just that simple. She has never had any problems.

In my view, mind your own buisness when travellings. If you need to wear hijab, simply take the numerous muslim airlines( turkish, egypt air, PIA, Saudi, Emirates, Qatar etc). or travel by road if in the US. If you are wearing hijab, do you really have to go to the waterparks in Florida.

Jews and Christians (in roman times) and throughout history adjusted their ways to suit the prevailing times. Its the turn of Muslims now.

I was not taught that to wear trousers was more American than wearing salwar kameez, or that to wear a cowboy hat was more American than to wear hijab. I don't think a gandora is less American than a mini skirt. Why should eurocentric practices outweigh those of other cultures? Those of us with European heritage are not somehow more entitled, more American (although many think differently). A white face isn't more American than a brown face, New York accented English is not more American than Egyptian accented English and Chinatown isn't less American than Greenwich Village.

European ancesstory is the majority in the country. Majority rules. That has to be accepted.

Yeah, but there was even a time where europeans discriminated towards other europeans. "Irish need not apply"... etc etc... times have changed... and as the US keeps expanding and adding new immigrants and people of different backgrounds, it's likely to change like that too. It will change, just very slowly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've been profiled :yes: But again, what I'm complaining about here is not profiling. If I pass through all the security checks, once, twice, three times, then I'm safe to be on the plane and act in my normal manner. I'f I've passed the security checks, then no mob should be able to pitch me off because they find my manner of dress bizare or that I may speak in a different language.

One can both demand their rights and have a positive hard working attitude.

funny, one of the things I learned in all my american government classes (poli sci major and all) was that here, although we have rule of the majority, the minority's rights are to be protected. The will of the majority should not be imposed on that of the minority.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

Yep, I've been profiled too :yes: and I'm as white as white can be. It didn't bother me, though. I thought it was kinda funny. Oh yeah I'm sooo scary with my bad azz higab.

I've been profiled :yes: But again, what I'm complaining about here is not profiling. If I pass through all the security checks, once, twice, three times, then I'm safe to be on the plane and act in my normal manner. I'f I've passed the security checks, then no mob should be able to pitch me off because they find my manner of dress bizare or that I may speak in a different language.

One can both demand their rights and have a positive hard working attitude.

funny, one of the things I learned in all my american government classes (poli sci major and all) was that here, although we have rule of the majority, the minority's rights are to be protected. The will of the majority should not be imposed on that of the minority.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Sounds like someone doesn't understand what racism means. :rolleyes:

if you're implying her words are racist, then you need to study the word too. ;)

Sounds like someone doesn't understand what racism means. :rolleyes:

yeah I think she needs some private time in the bathroom with Webster.

and you should too

OK by THAT definition I am a racist.My definition of a racist is a different one so thats why I can't and wont call my self a racist.

Just Waiting,DO NOT call me your sis.

And oh yes I WILL be coming to the USA,no matter if you guys like it or not.

I want to live in peace and quiet with my family and I want my family to be safe no matter where we live.

You can think and say what you want,if 9/11 wouldn't have happened Muslims would not be looked at the way they are being looked at now!

Nat

hahaha so you can make your own definitions of anything you want that way in your head you will not be associated with negativity such as being the racist that you are.

try the word bigot instead of racist and you will sound smarter ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Racism refers to the belief that social discrimination by race is justifiable.

She is a racist. Do you really think semantics were the issue? Really? She would have agreed had he said she was a bigot? Gimme a F'in break!

I want to add that it doesn't matter what label is used when one understands the sentiment behind the label.

Edited by jenn3539

Timeline

She is a racist. Do you really think semantics were the issue? Really? She would have agreed had he said she was a bigot? Gimme a F'in break!

unless islam is a race, the term bigot fits. no f'ing breaks given, i'm fresh out :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Ok... correct me if I'm wrong... Do we not have freedom of speech in this country? If so, where does it state all speech (i.e. self expression) must ONLY be done in English and the applicable font and never on an airplane? I think it is utterly ridiculous to tell someone they cannot wear a t shirt in hebrew, arabic, telegu or any other language on a airplane because it's suspicious behavior. Where is the damn common sense????

I've seen HORRID t-shirts on airplanes! Womanizing, advocating marajuana, violence, you name it... and there they sat all comfy and cozy on the airplane arriving at their destination totally unbothered.

I could spike my hair, shave designs into my head and die it green and get on a plane just fine. But wear hijab and that's considered suspicious behavior??? Like the previous is not an obvious statement at noncomformity???

It shouldn't take a genius to see there is something wrong with this. It's very simple.... SIMPLE common sense. Unfortunately hatred tends to kill common sense.

Timeline

What a jerk you are.

yawn. not my fault you don't know english :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

unless islam is a race, the term bigot fits. no f'ing breaks given, i'm fresh out :P

It was obvious she was talking about arab muslims.

The sole purpose of your post was to try to humiliate Sarah and me. What's your problem?

What a jerk you are.

If you think you're smarter than me, Charles, you are wrong.

Timeline

The sole purpose of your post was to try to humiliate Sarah and me. What's your problem?

What a jerk you are.

If you think you're smarter than me, Charles, you are wrong.

ok, go toss that word "racist" around some more then :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Yes, and she specifically stated Arabs more than once. Both bigot and racist would fit.

Ok... correct me if I'm wrong... Do we not have freedom of speech in this country? If so, where does it state all speech (i.e. self expression) must ONLY be done in English and the applicable font and never on an airplane? I think it is utterly ridiculous to tell someone they cannot wear a t shirt in hebrew, arabic, telegu or any other language on a airplane because it's suspicious behavior. Where is the damn common sense???

People fear what they don't understand. Most Americans don't understand arabic, hebrew, etc. If they can't understand it, they get suspicious.

I could spike my hair, shave designs into my head and die it green and get on a plane just fine. But wear hijab and that's considered suspicious behavior???

The people who have tried to terrorize the US didn't have green, spiked hair with designs shaved in it. They were - or claimed to be - Muslim. Hijab = Muslim.

It shouldn't take a genius to see there is something wrong with this. It's very simple.... SIMPLE common sense. Unfortunately hatred tends to kill common sense.

You claim "hatred" a lot. I see suspicion and caution rather than hatred. I haven't seen anyone here say that all Muslims should be put against the wall and shot. I haven't heard anyone say that they hate Muslims and wish they'd all go die in the desert. I've heard people, who are afraid, make some rather overboard suggestions on ways for them to remain safe.

When one claims hatred for every little thing, people stop paying attention after a while..... That whole "I'm so persecuted!!!!11" thing.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.