Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Is it morally right that people judge everyone who is Islamic on the actions of the fanatical few? NO! Of course not! But it is human nature and human nature is flawed and not always fair/rational.

Some people are scared ( some OVERLY so), so soon after all that has happened. Is that a good excuse? NO-but there are often NO good excuses for human nature ( especially frightened human nature).

It's awful that the good people of the Islamic faith are not as high profile as the extremeists/fanatics/fringe element!

More Islamic clerics/scholars who represent the mainstream need to be reaching out more to the " frightened and not so rational/uninformed" masses. Is it fair to you and the rest of the mainstream? NO! Unfortunatly the mainstream are forced to "pay" for the choices of the FEW extremists.

The problem lies in seeing/reading too much of the fanatical few ( and what they are trying to do) in the mainstream media, and not enough of the moderate majority of Islamic people; in an effort to get people to understand their religion...etc ( and I don't mean the constant diatribe on here over whats happening in Lebanon etc.... I mean an effort to get people to understand Islam and that those few fanatics do NOT represent the basis of Islam)

There needs to be understanding from BOTH sides here.

I don't know what else the mainstream is supposed to do. They have signed petitions, gone on television, had numerous campaigns, advertising campaigns, had open houses at mosques, engaged in interfaith dialogue and activities, etc.

The person who makes these generalizations also bears responsibility in how they choose to let their mind be formed.

When the Prophet cartoon protests were going on, CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) chose a peaceful approach. They offered (and continue to offer) a free DVD or book about the life of the Prophet. You don't hear people talking about that response. What should they do?

Peace,

Rebecca

I do not even pretend to have an answer to that question " What should they do?" and you don't hear people talking about the response you mentioned because it certainly was not well publisized here; or in my work place and I work for the aviation industry.

Peace to you also

tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Chit chatting with your good pal..me :)..isn't as much of a waste of time as.....POST BOOSTING!!!!

Hehehehe just had to get one last one in there.

Have a good one! Good luck with Samir ;) Arab/Muslim boys make for fun toys don't they? :P

well i had time when i did that :yes: and you know what? dont ever call samir a toy. you are talking about my fiance and i dont appreciate it. you must not be muslim or even christian for that matter because look at how you act? you have nothing better to do than to be hateful to me when i have done nothing. leave my fiance out of it.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Timeline

Too late to edit to my last post......

PS about the book on the " Life of the Prophet"--as interesting as that sounds, I think people want to hear from the Islamic heirarchy [sp]about the current conditions we live in-not about the life of the Prophet.

Condemnations repeatedly of the actions of the few extremists....Modern day life as a Muslim and what " jihad" actually means, and why we see hatred toward America and the West. Myths need to be dispelled quite obviously.

Why won't the extreme fringe follow the instructions/high clerics/scholars of the very religion they operate under/for.

I know this sounds rudimentary-- but have to cater for all walks of life! ;) It's fear of the unknown that is creating the fear for most people.

Also-I was in Bosnia on the UN OJG peacekeeping mission, and I was spat on and had trash thrown at me purely for wearing an American flag on my uniform sleeve. I was actually in a ground convoy at the time; in a Muslim neighborhood to pick up land mine injured civilians to take to the MASH unit for treatment. I still have no idea why they seemed to " hate Americans". After all these years I still do not understand/ know why at all. There is so much more my story-but none of it pertinent to this, suffice to say these were not " extremeists" but every day folks living in a troubled area of the world.

There seems to be no understanding from either side at all.

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Timeline
"All depends on how you define "living on your knees" I suppose."

It does.

I consider religions that require a subservient relationship with "god" to be living on ones' knees.

Some people need that kind of thing in their life, and that's fine for them.

I don't really have a problem with others being religious; it just ain't for me. lol

God = the undeniable aspect that existence is

Subservience to God = submission to the will of God = acceptance of that which is... purely and simply. People can twist it into what they like. Buddhists refer to it as "being". But that's it in a nutshell.

I dont understand all the complaints on profiling muslims. I am originally from Pakistan. I know that someone wearing a tshirt with hebrew text would have been asked to take it off. Infact there are no tshirts with urdu language text in Pakistan. I am frequent traveller with an average of 4 round trips a month and have been to the smallest and largest airports in US and Canada. By the grace of God have never been yet singled out. I mind my own buisness. And so should most travellers. Now here is my question

-Why would you want to wear a tshirt with arabic text on it on the plane. You know the situation around the world.

-Why would you want to start reading the Quran on the plane. You know the issues. If you want to pray, you can pray silently and recite in your heart. Its that simple.

My mom and wife wears Paki dress when she travels from Pak to US (on American Airlines) and Trousers for travel with US. Its just that simple. She has never had any problems.

In my view, mind your own buisness when travellings. If you need to wear hijab, simply take the numerous muslim airlines( turkish, egypt air, PIA, Saudi, Emirates, Qatar etc). or travel by road if in the US. If you are wearing hijab, do you really have to go to the waterparks in Florida.

Jews and Christians (in roman times) and throughout history adjusted their ways to suit the prevailing times. Its the turn of Muslims now.

Many people will simply answer this by saying that they want to have the right to wear anything they want. True. But its the stuborn folks who get into arguments and make the rest of us look bad. All middle easterner should realize that even though they may have been born here, they are not natives of this land. Trying going back to Saudi, Yemen etc, the difference between natives and non natives could be seen. Pakis are not even discriminated against even in the middleeast. I dont understand why the middle easterners have such a problem when it comes to them in US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I still have no idea why they seemed to " hate Americans". After all these years I still do not understand/ know why at all.

A simple search for "Why is America hated" will give you many ideas. You may not agree with the reasons, but that would be an answer to your question.

PS about the book on the " Life of the Prophet"--as interesting as that sounds, I think people want to hear from the Islamic heirarchy [sp]about the current conditions we live in-not about the life of the Prophet.

The point of the book and DVD was to show non-Muslims who the Prophet was and stood for as opposed to the representation made of him by the cartoons. It was a targeted response to that specific event.

As far as the peacekeeping mission, I find it unfortunate. I know that in Kosovo the initial response to American peacekeepers was generally warm and welcoming. A friend of mine over there talked about how some (some not all and certainly not most) of the peacekeepers would be making fun of the Kosovars to their face or make rude comments to the women. Later he reported what he felt was increasing resentment on the part of the Kosovars. It could be the same in Bosnia. The actions of a few create a dislike/distrust of the whole (not unlike the reactions to Muslims). I saw similar changing of sentiments towards American when I was involved with refugee resettlement/return.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Many people will simply answer this by saying that they want to have the right to wear anything they want. True. But its the stuborn folks who get into arguments and make the rest of us look bad. All middle easterner should realize that even though they may have been born here, they are not natives of this land. Trying going back to Saudi, Yemen etc, the difference between natives and non natives could be seen. Pakis are not even discriminated against even in the middleeast. I dont understand why the middle easterners have such a problem when it comes to them in US.

Should we aspire to be like Saudia, Pakistan et al, or should we aspire to uphold the ideals of the constitution and the ideals that founded this country?

Since this is a country of immigrants, very few of us are natives here. As different cultures come, we blend and add more to the mosaic. I'm proud to add my european heratige and muslim faith to this country's flavor. Of interest to you, perhaps, is many of those who contributed to this thread are in fact, not middle easterners, but rather american women who have embraced islam. I know my family has been here for close to 2 centuries. We've fought in the civil war, world war 1, world war II, etc. I'm about as native to these lands as you can get, short of being a native american.

The key here are rights, as you mentioned. I'm not going to give up my rights because someone is uncomfortable with me. With that attitude, blacks would still be sitting at the back of the bus. We're not second class citizens :no: Last time I checked, there were, ideally, not suppose to be any second class citizens here.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Now I am going back aways so I can say a few things!

I will move to the USA bc the man I love lives there,home is where the heart is.......

Secondly,I live in a part of Germany where we have LOTS of Muslims (from several countries),my man would not be safe here as they have made sure to let us know.Also my son whos 5 years old has been beat up by two Mulism boys bc he's American and we happen to put out the Star Spanngled Banner on September 11th.

They (some of my Muslim neighbors) have tried to mess with my man's car when he was stationed here and came to my house,he wore the BDU and they started calling him names..........

I'm being called "The American ***re",nice ain't it? Now tell me about intolerance!!!!!

And ALL of this started after 9/11.

I went to school with Muslims,some of my best friends were Muslims,but I DARE to love an American on top of that a man who served in the US Military......

Don't tell me about hatured,I feel it EVERY DAY.

Nat

I lived in Germany for a few months last year, about 20min from the Manheim base. I worked for an american family who were based there, and there were pleanty of muslim people living around us. Not once did get the feeling like I was hated because I was american and a christian! We never ever had any problems with muslims in Germany. It was the Germans that tended to give us problems for being americans. But we didn't let it bother us. This was after 9/11.

I'm pretty sure there has always been discrimination against every skin color. Wether you be muslim, christian, jewish, budhist, etc., people with white skin tend to discriminate against others that are different. (I'm not saying this is all white skin people btw) Throughout history it's been repeated over and over. The "first settlers" of the US (White) discriminated against the Native Americans (Brown). The Germans against Jews. Heck it's been more than that. It's been like this since the beginning of time. The Bible even talks about it somewhere how there were slaves. Someone has always thought they were better and tried to make everyone see them as that. I think it's wrong. I am an American Muslim. I have a German/Irish/Native American backround. I get looks when I where hijab on days I attend mosque. It's my choice. Yes I do feel it's wrong to think that every single muslim is a terrorist! Even before I met my husband and started looking into Islam, I thought that muslims were just people with a different belief. Of course I heard how they were responsible for 9/11 and all, but that still didn't make every muslim bad. I hate it when people sterotype a group and that is what it seems a lot of people have been doing with muslims. Not all muslims, as stated in previous replies, are dark skin. So they are going to end up harrassing all the wrong people eventually and miss all the right people!

So I don't know where I'm going anymore. I have been taken away from this for a little too long. I hope they eventually put an end to all off this before it's too late.

(I hope this makes sense to someone, it doesn't to me anymore! :blush: )

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont understand all the complaints on profiling muslims. I am originally from Pakistan. I know that someone wearing a tshirt with hebrew text would have been asked to take it off. Infact there are no tshirts with urdu language text in Pakistan. I am frequent traveller with an average of 4 round trips a month and have been to the smallest and largest airports in US and Canada. By the grace of God have never been yet singled out. I mind my own buisness. And so should most travellers. Now here is my question

-Why would you want to wear a tshirt with arabic text on it on the plane. You know the situation around the world.

-Why would you want to start reading the Quran on the plane. You know the issues. If you want to pray, you can pray silently and recite in your heart. Its that simple.

My mom and wife wears Paki dress when she travels from Pak to US (on American Airlines) and Trousers for travel with US. Its just that simple. She has never had any problems.

In my view, mind your own buisness when travellings. If you need to wear hijab, simply take the numerous muslim airlines( turkish, egypt air, PIA, Saudi, Emirates, Qatar etc). or travel by road if in the US. If you are wearing hijab, do you really have to go to the waterparks in Florida.

Jews and Christians (in roman times) and throughout history adjusted their ways to suit the prevailing times. Its the turn of Muslims now.

I was not taught that to wear trousers was more American than wearing salwar kameez, or that to wear a cowboy hat was more American than to wear hijab. I don't think a gandora is less American than a mini skirt. Why should eurocentric practices outweigh those of other cultures? Those of us with European heritage are not somehow more entitled, more American (although many think differently). A white face isn't more American than a brown face, New York accented English is not more American than Egyptian accented English and Chinatown isn't less American than Greenwich Village.

Timeline

The point of the book and DVD was to show non-Muslims who the Prophet was and stood for as opposed to the representation made of him by the cartoons. It was a targeted response to that specific event.

As far as the peacekeeping mission, I find it unfortunate. I know that in Kosovo the initial response to American peacekeepers was generally warm and welcoming. A friend of mine over there talked about how some (some not all and certainly not most) of the peacekeepers would be making fun of the Kosovars to their face or make rude comments to the women. Later he reported what he felt was increasing resentment on the part of the Kosovars. It could be the same in Bosnia. The actions of a few create a dislike/distrust of the whole (not unlike the reactions to Muslims). I saw similar changing of sentiments towards American when I was involved with refugee resettlement/return.

It just goes to show that despite differences of opinion/religion it seems there is common ground after all! :):thumbs: if only everyone in the world could reach such an impasse!

The actions of the ignorant/extreme fringe ( on BOTH sides) colour the perception of the majority; therin probably lies the problem! ( I have a habit of stating the obvious), but this exchange has been informative and thanks for responding. :thumbs::)

As a side note the Former Yugoslavia is a beautiful country ( gorgeous beaches, fabulous historical sites, mountains and lakes and varied weather regimes) with great potential if they could sort out the differing ethnic problems there.

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Timeline

I was not taught that to wear trousers was more American than wearing salwar kameez, or that to wear a cowboy hat was more American than to wear hijab. I don't think a gandora is less American than a mini skirt. Why should eurocentric practices outweigh those of other cultures? Those of us with European heritage are not somehow more entitled, more American (although many think differently). A white face isn't more American than a brown face, New York accented English is not more American than Egyptian accented English and Chinatown isn't less American than Greenwich Village.

:yes: The problem is that so many people believe that Americans of all backgrounds should adopt what is typically thought of as "American", i.e. the eurocentric culture you've described. Otherwise you are considered to not have assimilated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

This is a public forum so yes, I have a right to say anything I want. The fact that you put info about yourself and your fiance also makes it up for grabs...sorry. Anyhooo....many of your statements point to intolerance. Remember this one?....my fiance will use TP, I will not put a watering can in my bathroom..something to that effect. Everyone knows Muslims use water to clean after the toilet. Will you also tell him he's not allowed to eat Algerian food because he's in the states now? Boy do I feel sorry for him. Now women shouldn't wear higab because other ppl don't like. We live in a big, big world full of all different kinds of ppl. Deal with it.

I'm me...that's who the hell I think I am!

I've noticed that you're quite intolerant of change. Is your fiance Muslim? Cuz if he is..you're in for a real treat in the long run.

If ppl are a afraid of a simple piece of cloth on a woman's head that's just sad.

I am flying out next month with the Hijab on. Will say if they give me a trouble...

well dont wear one then.........problem solved.

hold on a minute... u dont have no right to say i am intolerant of change. who do you think you are? i was simply saying if she thinks she will have a hard time because of it then dont wear it. and my relationship with my fiance is none of your business

first of all you have a smart mouth. got it? i am not intolerant of my fiance and we have a good relationship. i went to algeria and followed his culture when i was there. second, my fiance knows i am not a muslim and we have been together for almost 3 years. and you feel sorry for him? do you have any idea what i have done for my fiance? so let me get this straight you see me post my OPINIONS and you think because of what i post on VJ you can judge me and my whole relationship with my fiance. i wasnt saying for her not to wear it because other people didnt like it. i was saying dont wear it to save her some trouble and have an easier trip thats all. i wore a hijab there in algeria just because it would keep people from staring at me and it was thier culture. samir has to adjust to american life as i have to adjust to algerian life when i am there. and for your information you seem to be intolerant. just because i am engaged to someone from algeria doesnt mean that i am in that culture, he loves me for who i am and understands i am not a muslim and he has been able to accept that. i fell sorry for your bad attitude. and if you think i am one to take your ####### you picked the wrong one...............

Where did you get that idea from? Many many muslim women in algeria do not wear. A hijab is not a toy to play around and wear it when you want and then take it off when you don't want to. It is a religious garment, not a cultural one. Men stare at women in Algeria regardless of whether they wear hijab or not. I wore a full black gown with black head covering and still got stared at by men. and I don't dress any differently in Algeria than I would in the U.S.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.