UmmSqueakster

Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
It kinda makes you wonder what freedom of speech really means?

Ding Ding Ding .. that is the question .. in our world right now free speech is .. "You can say anything you want as long as it doesn't attack/offend anyone".

Its sad isn't it? Because people like you and me may be offended by something but will say absolutely nothing because we can deal with it .. then you have people that just want to complain cause they can .. and this is what I am trying to say is that this is the world we live in .. PC sucks.. I wish I could say what I want.. but I can't.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Overblown fears are not reasonable and should not be accomodated. These are the people that should be removed.

:yes:

But there's the problem. What's overblown? I've heard plenty of people who think it's perfectly reasonable to be afraid of a guy on the plane with "a thing on his head". And somehow HE is the one with the problem.

when in rome, do as romans do.....guess that one never came to someone's mind :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Should I leave my quran and my other arabic language books behind when I take a flight because someone is offended by the sight of arabic and they don't have anyone to translate what it says? Hell no.

People have to take down nativity scenes because it offends people on christmas..

People have to take crosses off becase people are offended..

My friend had to remove a shirt because he had an anti swastika on it..

My dad got asked to leave a wedding because he wore his kilt

I was removed from my prom because I wore my kilt

I am sorry its a PC world..

My fiance had to wear a jacket because she was wearing a F C U K shirt..

I don't like this PC ####### just like you guys. I think it is horrid.. But sorry if it offends someone you gotta deal with it .. and if you fight it .. you got to deal with the reprecussions..

Being an arab right now .. if I was that guy I would have changed my shirt right away .. its rough times for arabs right now and the last thing you need is to start a scene.. ya know?

they don't have anyone to translate what it says?

That guys shirt had english below it .. "We wont be silent" is a very emotionally charged statement.. ya know what I mean .. what does we wont be silent mean?

You make some good points. When I was in High school, I was a christian and I wore the same cross everyday for 2 years. One day a girl in the choir class I was teaching, came up to me and ask why I wore it and if I knew that she was offended. I told her it's a symbol of my faith and reminds me of what Jesus had to go through and I didn't know it was offensive. The thing is, that I hung out with people of all faiths and 1 time in my 4 years of high school someone approached me and told me it was offensive! That really gave me a reality check and made me look into my faith a little more. Anyway, :huh::blink: I forgot where i was going with this. I guess sometimes you need a good bump on the head to come to reality. I don't think there is one thing in this world that doesn't offend anyone. Come on! Even a smile can offend someone these days! :D

Ok I'm done.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overblown fears are not reasonable and should not be accomodated. These are the people that should be removed.

But there's the problem. What's overblown? I've heard plenty of people who think it's perfectly reasonable to be afraid of a guy on the plane with "a thing on his head". And somehow HE is the one with the problem.

when in rome, do as romans do.....guess that one never came to someone's mind :P

So how do you "do as the romans" in the United States?

I personally feel it is just as American to wear a "thing" on your head as it is to wear a baseball cap or cowboy hat. Are some immigrants more "American" than others? :no:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So how do you "do as the romans" in the United States?

I personally feel it is just as American to wear a "thing" on your head as it is to wear a baseball cap or cowboy hat. Are some immigrants more "American" than others? :no:

good idea, give the guy on the plane a cowboy hat and he'll fit right in :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

they don't have anyone to translate what it says?

That guys shirt had english below it .. "We wont be silent" is a very emotionally charged statement.. ya know what I mean .. what does we wont be silent mean?

The blogger was not told it was the English translation that was objectionable. It was the "unknown" Arabic message that was at issue.

So they were not offended by an "emotionally charged" statement. They don't know what offended them. They didn't understand what it said. It had no meaning to them at all other than it was written in Arabic.

This means all foreign language papers, books, etc. are subject to the same scrutiny. No more Spanish options on the phone because we don't know if they are "really saying the same thing".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

كيف حالك

Kick me off the plane, kick me off the plane!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
So they were not offended by an "emotionally charged" statement. They don't know what offended them. They didn't understand what it said. It had no meaning to them at all other than it was written in Arabic.

the greatest fear is the fear of the unkown.

كيف حالك

I am fine and you?

It was the "unknown" Arabic message that was at issue.

I am sorry if I saw this on anyones shirt I would question what it meant.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hmmm, next time I go to the airport, I'm getting one of these shirts. I'm a trouble maker :devil:

6217916.1724680.jpg

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hmmm, next time I go to the airport, I'm getting one of these shirts. I'm a trouble maker :devil:

6217916.1724680.jpg

nice!

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

You want to watch hilarious stupidity, when I used to go into yahoo chatrooms (where such phenomena abounds) if someone posted Arabic script in the room, all of those "yanks" who had no clue what the guy was even saying would raise such a ruckus about the Arabic script it was laughable. They would insult the poster, announce loudly how they would block "such offensive chicken scratch" and the like.

War of words is what it is... but the truth remains that its bigotry without thought.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.