UmmSqueakster

Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hehehehehe..mission accomplished. I love the smell of pissed off in the morning.

You don't know me, honey. I don't have to explain nor brag about what "I've done" for my husband or how much he loves me. Aren't you sweet? You're gonna let him be Algerian but he's gotta "adjust" to being American just like you did for him. Puleeeeease!

I'm proud of my Egyptian husband and I hope he stays that way even here in the good ol' US of A.

Yes, I'm intolerant...intolerant of ppl like yourself.

This is a public forum so yes, I have a right to say anything I want. The fact that you put info about yourself and your fiance also makes it up for grabs...sorry. Anyhooo....many of your statements point to intolerance. Remember this one?....my fiance will use TP, I will not put a watering can in my bathroom..something to that effect. Everyone knows Muslims use water to clean after the toilet. Will you also tell him he's not allowed to eat Algerian food because he's in the states now? Boy do I feel sorry for him. Now women shouldn't wear higab because other ppl don't like. We live in a big, big world full of all different kinds of ppl. Deal with it.

I'm me...that's who the hell I think I am!

I've noticed that you're quite intolerant of change. Is your fiance Muslim? Cuz if he is..you're in for a real treat in the long run.

If ppl are a afraid of a simple piece of cloth on a woman's head that's just sad.

I am flying out next month with the Hijab on. Will say if they give me a trouble...

well dont wear one then.........problem solved.

hold on a minute... u dont have no right to say i am intolerant of change. who do you think you are? i was simply saying if she thinks she will have a hard time because of it then dont wear it. and my relationship with my fiance is none of your business

first of all you have a smart mouth. got it? i am not intolerant of my fiance and we have a good relationship. i went to algeria and followed his culture when i was there. second, my fiance knows i am not a muslim and we have been together for almost 3 years. and you feel sorry for him? do you have any idea what i have done for my fiance? so let me get this straight you see me post my OPINIONS and you think because of what i post on VJ you can judge me and my whole relationship with my fiance. i wasnt saying for her not to wear it because other people didnt like it. i was saying dont wear it to save her some trouble and have an easier trip thats all. i wore a hijab there in algeria just because it would keep people from staring at me and it was thier culture. samir has to adjust to american life as i have to adjust to algerian life when i am there. and for your information you seem to be intolerant. just because i am engaged to someone from algeria doesnt mean that i am in that culture, he loves me for who i am and understands i am not a muslim and he has been able to accept that. i fell sorry for your bad attitude. and if you think i am one to take your ####### you picked the wrong one...............

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it morally right that people judge everyone who is Islamic on the actions of the fanatical few? NO! Of course not! But it is human nature and human nature is flawed and not always fair/rational.

Some people are scared ( some OVERLY so), so soon after all that has happened. Is that a good excuse? NO-but there are often NO good excuses for human nature ( especially frightened human nature).

It's awful that the good people of the Islamic faith are not as high profile as the extremeists/fanatics/fringe element!

More Islamic clerics/scholars who represent the mainstream need to be reaching out more to the " frightened and not so rational/uninformed" masses. Is it fair to you and the rest of the mainstream? NO! Unfortunatly the mainstream are forced to "pay" for the choices of the FEW extremists.

The problem lies in seeing/reading too much of the fanatical few ( and what they are trying to do) in the mainstream media, and not enough of the moderate majority of Islamic people; in an effort to get people to understand their religion...etc ( and I don't mean the constant diatribe on here over whats happening in Lebanon etc.... I mean an effort to get people to understand Islam and that those few fanatics do NOT represent the basis of Islam)

There needs to be understanding from BOTH sides here.

I don't know what else the mainstream is supposed to do. They have signed petitions, gone on television, had numerous campaigns, advertising campaigns, had open houses at mosques, engaged in interfaith dialogue and activities, etc.

The person who makes these generalizations also bears responsibility in how they choose to let their mind be formed.

When the Prophet cartoon protests were going on, CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) chose a peaceful approach. They offered (and continue to offer) a free DVD or book about the life of the Prophet. You don't hear people talking about that response. What should they do?

first of all you have a smart mouth. got it? i am not intolerant of my fiance and we have a good relationship. i went to algeria and followed his culture when i was there. second, my fiance knows i am not a muslim and we have been together for almost 3 years. and you feel sorry for him? do you have any idea what i have done for my fiance? so let me get this straight you see me post my OPINIONS and you think because of what i post on VJ you can judge me and my whole relationship with my fiance. i wasnt saying for her not to wear it because other people didnt like it. i was saying dont wear it to save her some trouble and have an easier trip thats all. i wore a hijab there in algeria just because it would keep people from staring at me and it was thier culture. samir has to adjust to american life as i have to adjust to algerian life when i am there. and for your information you seem to be intolerant. just because i am engaged to someone from algeria doesnt mean that i am in that culture, he loves me for who i am and understands i am not a muslim and he has been able to accept that. i fell sorry for your bad attitude. and if you think i am one to take your ####### you picked the wrong one...............

Sharon,

With respect to you, there is a difference between "following his culture" and having an appreciation and respect for it -- and out of that respect and appreciation, a desire to incorporate some of that into your life.

You are right, " just because i am engaged to someone from algeria doesnt mean that i am in that culture".

I think for many of us, we have willingly and happily chosen to take a part of our husband's culture into our lives because we recognize its beauty. This is certainly a choice that you don't have to make.

Peace,

Rebecca

Edited by Bosco

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

it would be nice if Mrs Z knew what she was talking about before she attacks someone. kind of hypocritical for her to call me intolerant and she jumps on me for mentioning i didnt want to put a watering can in my bathroom and that i was just giving that girl some advice. not to mention i cant even remember how long ago i said that about the watering can but, if i do recall others in that forum mentioned they didnt either. seems like to me if you remember that from that far back you need to find somethnig to do cos girl you are totally out of line. and not to mention even tho this is a public forum that doesnt mean you can say whatever you want. i know this from experience. so keep that in mind when you attack people.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

On that note (which would really make an interesting thread in and of itself), one thing that I looooove about my husband is how he is open to accepting and embracing the good in american culture/society. We both have little pins with the Egyptian and American flags that we wear proudly. On his Egyptian message boards, he has both flags in his signature with the phrase "egyptian american muslim." :luv: He'll defend this country against unfounded accusations and theories spouted about the board, and still engage in critique of this government.

I try to make our home a blend as well, although I need to try a little harder to bring in the egyptian flavor, since the overwhelming default is midwest america, which is quite different from delta egypt.

The blending of the two cultures is one thing I love about our relationship. I'm not simply an american anymore, and he isn't just an egyptian. We're an egyptian-american family.

B_62.gif

If you're reading this sweetie (and I know you're lurking there somewhere), I (L) you :luv:

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Is it morally right that people judge everyone who is Islamic on the actions of the fanatical few? NO! Of course not! But it is human nature and human nature is flawed and not always fair/rational.

Some people are scared ( some OVERLY so), so soon after all that has happened. Is that a good excuse? NO-but there are often NO good excuses for human nature ( especially frightened human nature).

It's awful that the good people of the Islamic faith are not as high profile as the extremeists/fanatics/fringe element!

More Islamic clerics/scholars who represent the mainstream need to be reaching out more to the " frightened and not so rational/uninformed" masses. Is it fair to you and the rest of the mainstream? NO! Unfortunatly the mainstream are forced to "pay" for the choices of the FEW extremists.

The problem lies in seeing/reading too much of the fanatical few ( and what they are trying to do) in the mainstream media, and not enough of the moderate majority of Islamic people; in an effort to get people to understand their religion...etc ( and I don't mean the constant diatribe on here over whats happening in Lebanon etc.... I mean an effort to get people to understand Islam and that those few fanatics do NOT represent the basis of Islam)

There needs to be understanding from BOTH sides here.

I don't know what else the mainstream is supposed to do. They have signed petitions, gone on television, had numerous campaigns, advertising campaigns, had open houses at mosques, engaged in interfaith dialogue and activities, etc.

The person who makes these generalizations also bears responsibility in how they choose to let their mind be formed.

When the Prophet cartoon protests were going on, CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) chose a peaceful approach. They offered (and continue to offer) a free DVD or book about the life of the Prophet. You don't hear people talking about that response. What should they do?

Sharon,

With respect to you, there is a difference between "following his culture" and having an appreciation and respect for it -- and out of that respect and appreciation, a desire to incorporate some of that into your life.

You are right, " just because i am engaged to someone from algeria doesnt mean that i am in that culture".

I think for many of us, we have willingly and happily chosen to take a part of our husband's culture into our lives because we recognize its beauty. This is certainly a choice that you don't have to make.

Peace,

Rebecca

thanks rebecca and i do understand that... there are plenty of things that we plan on doing. i am learning how to cook algerian food so i can surprise him at ramadan :) by the way do you know of any sites in english that might have various recipies?

On that note (which would really make an interesting thread in and of itself), one thing that I looooove about my husband is how he is open to accepting and embracing the good in american culture/society. We both have little pins with the Egyptian and American flags that we wear proudly. On his Egyptian message boards, he has both flags in his signature with the phrase "egyptian american muslim." :luv: He'll defend this country against unfounded accusations and theories spouted about the board, and still engage in critique of this government.

I try to make our home a blend as well, although I need to try a little harder to bring in the egyptian flavor, since the overwhelming default is midwest america, which is quite different from delta egypt.

The blending of the two cultures is one thing I love about our relationship. I'm not simply an american anymore, and he isn't just an egyptian. We're an egyptian-american family.

B_62.gif

If you're reading this sweetie (and I know you're lurking there somewhere), I (L) you :luv:

i totally agree rahma.. thanks it is just i cant stand mean people like her and the way they speak to me.... she is just wanting to start trouble. sounds like a miserable person to me. sad really

us3.jpg

usaflagshannon.gif

Oh but I do know what I'm talkin' about in regards to stuff you've posted about yourself. I'm not making stuff up here.

At any rate...sometimes ppl annoy me and if they happen to be in a public forum I say what's on my mind. Sorry if you took it as an attack. Sometimes I get tired of blowing sunshine up everyone's azz, ya know? It's just too nicey nicey around here sometimes for my taste.

Rebecca (Bosco) is right in what she said. She's far more eloquent than myself.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Matthew 6 : 27 - 37 . Not to offend anyone, but these verses come to mind after reading a few of these posts.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline
Oh but I do know what I'm talkin' about in regards to stuff you've posted about yourself. I'm not making stuff up here.

At any rate...sometimes ppl annoy me and if they happen to be in a public forum I say what's on my mind. Sorry if you took it as an attack. Sometimes I get tired of blowing sunshine up everyone's azz, ya know? It's just too nicey nicey around here sometimes for my taste.

Rebecca (Bosco) is right in what she said. She's far more eloquent than myself.

oh really like what things? i am not on VJ much anymore.... i dont have much time. i havent posted anything about myself that is so bad... there are some things i disagree with in islam and such, but, i dont hide things from my friends or my fiance. so what? thats the beauty of the relationship we sit down and talk about things. you learn alot of things that way. i might not agree with islam, and post my opinions, but, there are some things in the islamic culture i do like. i have met many wonderful muslim people at VJ not to mention the ones i met in algeria. i have opinions like anyone else and i tell people how i feel about things and they tell me how they feel . thats life. and if you want to be rude to people just cos you think this site too rosey for you then maybe you should go take out your anger and frustration on someone else.

us3.jpg

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

B_62.gif

i totally agree rahma.. thanks it is just i cant stand mean people like her and the way they speak to me.... she is just wanting to start trouble. sounds like a miserable person to me. sad really

I do not want to get in the middle of any wars. My post should have also highlighted how I am also willing to embrace Egyptian culture. Even though my husband came here, he's still an Egyptian, and I do my utmost to respect and embrace his cultural/religious habits, be they wearing sandels in the house, learning arabic, keeping a watering can in the bathroom, or waking him up for fajr prayer.

The respect of culture in the relationship is a two way street, but for those of us here in the United States, we need to be extra sensative to the needs of our loved ones who give everything up back home to join us here. It's a huuuuuuuuuuge adjustment to move to the United States, and doing everything we can to embrace his culture will help him adjust much better here. We want to do everything we can to make the adjustment easier, not harder by ignoring things that are important to him.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

so sorry, i gave the wrong scripture....Matthew 5 : 43 -48

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

B_62.gif

I do not want to get in the middle of any wars. My post should have also highlighted how I am also willing to embrace Egyptian culture. Even though my husband came here, he's still an Egyptian, and I do my utmost to respect and embrace his cultural/religious habits, be they wearing sandels in the house, learning arabic, keeping a watering can in the bathroom, or waking him up for fajr prayer.

The respect of culture in the relationship is a two way street, but for those of us here in the United States, we need to be extra sensative to the needs of our loved ones who give everything up back home to join us here. It's a huuuuuuuuuuge adjustment to move to the United States, and doing everything we can to embrace his culture will help him adjust much better here. We want to do everything we can to make the adjustment easier, not harder by ignoring things that are important to him.

i can totally understand that ... i twould be very hard for me to adjust to algeria. i will do my best to make him comfortable.

us3.jpg

usaflagshannon.gif

:thumbs:

That's what I was trying to get at except I'm too aggressive for my own good.

Well said, Rahma :thumbs:

B_62.gif

Timeline
Sorry, Jabree. I'll play nice from now on :)

Oh MrsZ , say what you want ! I am not offended at all. Its just i wanted people to know I harbour no resentment towards anyone.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

well i need to get ready to go to work.... i am ashamed of myself for wasting my time talking about a watering can in the bathroom...............................goodness. hopefully one more month to go (if that) and he will be here.

us3.jpg

usaflagshannon.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.