UmmSqueakster

Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think fear mongering is the most destructive force in our society.

such a simple statement, but its so dead on right. now I am just really sad.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I strongly support the right of speech, but where do we draw the line? Some speech is simply not tolerable. I'm not sure we can live in a mixed society and have absolute free speech.

Interesting... ye that makes me think... It is true in way in a mixed society total free speech is impossible...one thing normal to one person is intolerable to other...

I think fear mongering is the most destructive force in our society.

I am amazed yet again, Jean...you usually put things so eloquently

Filed: Timeline

Okay, points taken.

My statement regarded the sanctity of ones own beliefs, and specifically mentioned that it isn't our concern until that person does something - an action - based on those feelings. That would include cross burnings, physical violence, and yes - hate speech.

Hope that made sense, as I did some mid-paragraph editing....

while I disagree with many things you are saying here, I appreciate your openess to dialogue.

You are accurate in separating hate speech from racism speech, but the flaw in your argument as I see it is that how would you define sppech and action? You list cross burning as an action, but the Courts upheld it as protected speech.

I strongly support the right of speech, but where do we draw the line? Some speech is simply not tolerable. I'm not sure we can live in a mixed society and have absolute free speech.

I was referring more to cross burnings performed on the lawn of a black family.... I live in Indiana, remember. Grand Dragon of the KKK and all that.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
I'm not sure we can live in a mixed society and have absolute free speech.
Edited by Karen_L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Also, not voicing such opinions wouldn't mean the SENTIMENTS don't exist. You can't kill racism by hiding it away and LIMITING speech, but by encouraging dialogue between people, even if that sometimes means having to hear from a hateful person.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
So whats the moral of the story today lol

Ooh, ooh, I know, I know! Pick me!

"Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."

I think that basically sums this all up, don't you?

Edited by jenn3539

So whats the moral of the story today lol

Thanks for the light touch. It made me smile. I think its a good time to turn off the computer and pick up a good book.

Keep up the good dialogue everyone! It's the first step to a peaceful world

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

The moral: don't make racist comments if you don't want to be labeled a racist.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.