UmmSqueakster

Flying while arab/muslim

438 posts in this topic

I think what has happened since 9/11 is that people are no longer embarassed to hide their bigotry. The proudly display it and try to excuse it away by referring to 9/11. 9/11 didn't create you. I am pretty sure you were this way long before 9/11.

I only want to address this, because it's the only one I really have comment on.

9/11 DID create a lot of "us". I never gave someone being muslim a second thought until after then. I have no religious prejudice against Muslims, so you can't argue that. I just never really thought about it until post-9/11. Since then? Yes, I tend to be a little suspicious. Fear is our defense mechanism. Fear heightens our senses, and makes us ready for danger. That's physiology - you can't change that. If a snake bites you once, you will be suspicious of snakes. If you put your hand on a hot stove, you will avoid doing it again. It's really no different. Allow enough time for the memory of the "hurt" to go away, and things will go back to normal.

Just remember....they're called "Terrorists" for a reason.....

I understand what you are saying, but I still think this is way of excusing an unjustified reaction rather than looking at what really is at issue. I am not impervious to reactions that are based upon generalizations or even prejudice. But when it happens, I correct myself. I think it through and realize I am reacting in an irrational, ugly way. I don't justify this reaction based on physiology or the fact that whatever thought that entered my mind may hold true for a limited number of people of that race/religion/etc. I control how I choose to respond to something (I am not talking an immediate reaction or shortly thereafter).

I have been robbed and had a weapon held to my head by a group of men that were all of a certain race, which I will not name here. It did not carry over into a fear of all men of that race. People are not hot stoves. All hot stoves burn. The physiological reaction to a hot stove makes sense because of all hot stoves will burn, but all Muslims will not commit terrorism. Was I uneasy being out late alone after that, yes. Was I more fearful of men of that race, no.

Likewise, I understand feeling uneasy flying after 9/11. My parents were flying that day and when they were able to fly a few days later, I was scared. But carrying that over to a suspicion of 1.3 billion people does not make sense, not to me anyway.

Why is there no physiological reaction to white males after the Oklahoma City bombing or after seeing nearly every serial killer on TV be a white male? Because I think in these circumstances we know better, we are around enough white men on a daily basis to realize these are the exceptions. The reaction to Muslims stems from ignorance out of a lack of familiarity rather than a justifiable response.

Edited by Bosco

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY I AM AFRAID OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU?????

Part of your right to free speech and your freedom here in the US requires respect too .. there is not much in your statement.. I dont agree with what natasha says but you have to respect the fearful along with the strong.. Its the lack of respect that ignorant people have to things they don't understand and lack of respect of the people who are ignorant to the fact that not everyone is the same.

... and conversely your own logic could also be applied to your own response to mine... and on and on and on. It's called opinion. End of story. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

OK by THAT definition I am a racist.My definition of a racist is a different one so thats why I can't and wont call my self a racist.

Just Waiting,DO NOT call me your sis.

And oh yes I WILL be coming to the USA,no matter if you guys like it or not.

I want to live in peace and quiet with my family and I want my family to be safe no matter where we live.

You can think and say what you want,if 9/11 wouldn't have happened Muslims would not be looked at the way they are being looked at now!

Nat

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I think what has happened since 9/11 is that people are no longer embarassed to hide their bigotry. The proudly display it and try to excuse it away by referring to 9/11. 9/11 didn't create you. I am pretty sure you were this way long before 9/11.

I only want to address this, because it's the only one I really have comment on.

9/11 DID create a lot of "us". I never gave someone being muslim a second thought until after then. I have no religious prejudice against Muslims, so you can't argue that. I just never really thought about it until post-9/11. Since then? Yes, I tend to be a little suspicious. Fear is our defense mechanism. Fear heightens our senses, and makes us ready for danger. That's physiology - you can't change that. If a snake bites you once, you will be suspicious of snakes. If you put your hand on a hot stove, you will avoid doing it again. It's really no different. Allow enough time for the memory of the "hurt" to go away, and things will go back to normal.

Just remember....they're called "Terrorists" for a reason.....

I understand what you are saying, but I still think this is way of excusing an unjustified reaction rather than looking at what really is at issue. I am not impervious to reactions that are based upon generalizations or even prejudice. But when it happens, I correct myself. I think it through and realize I am reacting in an irrational, ugly way. I don't justify this reaction based on physiology or the fact that whatever thought that entered my mind may hold true for a limited number of people of that race/religion/etc. I control how I choose to respond to something (I am not talking an immediate reaction or shortly thereafter).

I have been robbed and had a weapon held to my head by a group of men that were all of a certain race, which I will not name here. It did not carry over into a fear of all men of that race. People are not hot stoves. All hot stoves burn. The physiological reaction to a hot stove makes sense because of all hot stoves will burn, but all Muslims will not commit terrorism. Was I uneasy being out late alone after that, yes. Was I more fearful of men of that race, no.

Likewise, I understand feeling uneasy flying after 9/11. My parents were flying that day and when they were able to fly a few days later, I was scared. But carrying that over to a suspicion of 1.3 billion people does not make sense, not to me anyway.

Why is there no physiological reaction to white males after the Oklahoma City bombing or after seeing nearly every serial killer on TV be a white male? Because I think in these circumstances we know better, we are around enough white men on a daily basis to realize these are the exceptions. The reaction to Muslims stems from ignorance out of a lack of familiarity rather than a justifiable response.

:thumbs:

OK by THAT definition I am a racist.My definition of a racist is a different one so thats why I can't and wont call my self a racist.

I want to live in peace and quiet with my family and I want my family to be safe no matter where we live.

You can think and say what you want,if 9/11 wouldn't have happened Muslims would not be looked at the way they are being looked at now!

Nat

You call the terrorists are brothers but she cannot call you sis? Explain!

Nat

You call the terrorists our brothers but she cannot call you sis? Explain!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nat

hahaha so you can make your own definitions of anything you want that way in your head you will not be associated with negativity such as being the racist that you are.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Nat

Your definition of racist is different? Ummm.....

cunningplan0qj.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
... and conversely your own logic could also be applied to your own response to mine... and on and on and on. It's called opinion. End of story.

I didn't ask a question it was just a comment.. respect everyone and everyones oppinions.. no matter what side.. no need to get nasty on either side.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nat

Your definition of racist is different? Ummm.....

cunningplan0qj.jpg

jajajajaja.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Also my son whos 5 years old has been beat up by two Mulism boys bc he's American

Was that in america?

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Just a question: how do you know he was beat up because he is American? How do you know it wasn't for something else?

or as an extention of that ... maybe because of your SO's involvement in the US military... not very popular in many parts of the world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.