tammy_sheldon

How did you work this?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey all...I was looking for some advice. I just thought about how when my fiance flys over, once he gets in American his Digicel phone won't work. He has a layover in NY before he gets to me in Portland, OR and we would like to make contact. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I thought about sending him a prepaid cell phone, too little too late though because he will leave before the postal mail will ever reach him. I'm worried if he has any questions or something goes wrong at the POE he won't have a way to call me... It won't be the end of the world if he has no phone, but it would be a lot more convenient. Is there a place in Jamaica to by a prepaid phone that will work in America? Or what did anyone else do? Thanks All!! I'm just so glad he will be here soon (Dec. 2)!!!

Timeline

lol..I thought of that, but it seems so outdated lol and I honestly can say that in all my times of flying I have never paid attention...that would work, just hope they still do :)

Here's what I did:

- I got a family plan, and mailed him a SIM card (he wanted to use his own cell when he got here)

- I begged and pleaded for updates like "Landed" "off the plane" "entering customs - turning off the phone" while I waited for him to emerge...

Here's what he did:

- He put the SIM into his wallet

- He forgot all about it until I mentioned it as we were leaving the airport together - "Oh yeah....let me put that in here"

I know you're excited and anxious, but he's going to have a LOT to do when he goes through POE, and he'll have a lot of things to think about and make sure he does already without trying to juggle an unfamiliar cell phone. It will be difficult and LONG for you because you have nothing to do at this point but fret, but he'll have a long list of things he needs to take care of - If he gets everything all sorted (not just customs, but checking in to his next flight and getting his bags re-checked, changing terminals? Going through security? Finding his gate? etc) and still has time to call you, the airport is one of the few places left in the world where there are still pay phones. It's probably cheaper for him to spend a dollar or two using one of them to give you a ring while he waits to board his domestic connection. Also, while he's traveling, no news is good news. If he misses his flight etc, he'll have lots of time to call....

Together soon! Hang in there!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Here's what I did:

- I got a family plan, and mailed him a SIM card (he wanted to use his own cell when he got here)

- I begged and pleaded for updates like "Landed" "off the plane" "entering customs - turning off the phone" while I waited for him to emerge...

Here's what he did:

- He put the SIM into his wallet

- He forgot all about it until I mentioned it as we were leaving the airport together - "Oh yeah....let me put that in here"

I know you're excited and anxious, but he's going to have a LOT to do when he goes through POE, and he'll have a lot of things to think about and make sure he does already without trying to juggle an unfamiliar cell phone. It will be difficult and LONG for you because you have nothing to do at this point but fret, but he'll have a long list of things he needs to take care of - If he gets everything all sorted (not just customs, but checking in to his next flight and getting his bags re-checked, changing terminals? Going through security? Finding his gate? etc) and still has time to call you, the airport is one of the few places left in the world where there are still pay phones. It's probably cheaper for him to spend a dollar or two using one of them to give you a ring while he waits to board his domestic connection. Also, while he's traveling, no news is good news. If he misses his flight etc, he'll have lots of time to call....

Together soon! Hang in there!

Edited by Star_boy

Timeline:

Sent AOS package (I-485 & I-765)on Sept, 2nd.

Package received at Chicago Lockbox on Sept, 4th

Checks cashed Sept, 14th

Received NOA1 for (I-485 & I-765) Sept, 17th

Received Biometrics letter on Sept, 20th (appointment for Oct, 1st)

RFE Notice sent Sept, 24th

Received RFE letter for I-693 on Sept,27th

Sent RFE request on Sept, 27th

RFE received at Lee's Summit lockbox on Sept, 29th

Touch on I-485 Sept, 29th

Touch on I-485 & I-765 Oct 1st

Touch on both again Oct 4th

Received Interview letter on Nov. 15th

Received EAD CPO email & text Dec 1st

Received EAD card in mail Dec. 10th

AOS Interview Dec. 20th & Approved!!!

CPO for GC on Dec. 20th

Touch on Dec. 22nd

Second CPO on Dec. 23rd

Received GC on Dec 31st

Timeline

Thanks Nic+Heather, you just made me smile and put me at ease. That sounds like something my fiance would do! I know he will be busy it's just hard not knowing...but you make some very good points. I will be a mess that day I'm sure, but you're right...no news will be good news...(However, my wondering crazy mind is great at thinking of all the What if's? that might be going wrong..lol). But, I will take your advice and try to have patience lol ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Hey all...I was looking for some advice. I just thought about how when my fiance flys over, once he gets in American his Digicel phone won't work. He has a layover in NY before he gets to me in Portland, OR and we would like to make contact. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I thought about sending him a prepaid cell phone, too little too late though because he will leave before the postal mail will ever reach him. I'm worried if he has any questions or something goes wrong at the POE he won't have a way to call me... It won't be the end of the world if he has no phone, but it would be a lot more convenient. Is there a place in Jamaica to by a prepaid phone that will work in America? Or what did anyone else do? Thanks All!! I'm just so glad he will be here soon (Dec. 2)!!!

Hey Tammy_Sheldon, Digicel Prepaid phone can work in the US. If your relative has a phone which support AT&T or T-mobile frequency bands, then his phone will be able to work because Digicel, T-mobile, & AT&T are GSM wireless carriers. I'd advice you to ask him to put enough credit on his phone, because if he's out of Jamaica it's considered Roaming and roaming chargers are really expensive. I'm speaking from experience because i too had a Digicel phone when i came to the US and it worked.

Timeline:

Sent AOS package (I-485 & I-765)on Sept, 2nd.

Package received at Chicago Lockbox on Sept, 4th

Checks cashed Sept, 14th

Received NOA1 for (I-485 & I-765) Sept, 17th

Received Biometrics letter on Sept, 20th (appointment for Oct, 1st)

RFE Notice sent Sept, 24th

Received RFE letter for I-693 on Sept,27th

Sent RFE request on Sept, 27th

RFE received at Lee's Summit lockbox on Sept, 29th

Touch on I-485 Sept, 29th

Touch on I-485 & I-765 Oct 1st

Touch on both again Oct 4th

Received Interview letter on Nov. 15th

Received EAD CPO email & text Dec 1st

Received EAD card in mail Dec. 10th

AOS Interview Dec. 20th & Approved!!!

CPO for GC on Dec. 20th

Touch on Dec. 22nd

Second CPO on Dec. 23rd

Received GC on Dec 31st

Had replied to now edited post...

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Hey thanks...yeah he has an iphone, So that's awesome news!!! I will tell him to make sure he has plenty of credit on it, and hope that works. My biggest concern is he's never flown before and hes flying into JFK, which can be completely intimidating for one who's never flown. I know he can just ask someone for help too! But, it's just nice to have a back up plan if he needs to call for ANY reason. So, if he puts credit on the phone its there just in case, but I will still try to take Nik+Heather advice and be patient cuz I do realize that if he's not having any major problems where he needs to call me, he might not have time for simple updtes. However, depending on immigration he has a 4 hour layover... :)

Thanks Again Guys, I really appreciate all the help and advice I get on here! It makes EVERYTHING a lot less stressful knowing others have been through it all and it has been ok :)

Edited by tammy_sheldon

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

His cell phone will definitely work in NY - My Digicel phone works here - But the cost is astronomical, so tell him to text, not call - And he will pay charges if you call him, because he will be roaming.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had the same concern so I made sure I had a lot of quarters and viola I used a pay phone at the Charlotte Airport ;) Not the best quality call but I was able to let my now hubby know I was doing ok and I was 45 min. flight time away from him. Take care and best wishes with your new life ;)

Fey :star:

We were given: Two hands to hold. Two legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Tammy_Sheldon, Digicel Prepaid phone can work in the US. If your relative has a phone which support AT&T or T-mobile frequency bands, then his phone will be able to work because Digicel, T-mobile, & AT&T are GSM wireless carriers. I'd advice you to ask him to put enough credit on his phone, because if he's out of Jamaica it's considered Roaming and roaming chargers are really expensive. I'm speaking from experience because i too had a Digicel phone when i came to the US and it worked.

It may work on the east coast but out here in the pacific NW...it nah work :wacko:

Tammy I have the same concerns as you do and have thought of sending a prepaid phone down when I mail the last bunch of papers via fed x this week for our interview next week. My concerns with that are #1-will he get charged duty fee's for it & #2 will it get crushed because it will be in one of those mailing envelopes....hmmm

Oh and BTW, I sent you a message re linking up since both our guys are from JA and here in Portland there aren't many....Let me know what you think :blush: Acrow doesn't have time for mi,...she too busy traveling and living the life in JAMAICA with hubby and babies :whistle::rofl:

Edited by jamerican

Visa Journey

Service Center :

Consulate : Jamaica

03-13-2009 : Married

10-16-2009: I-130 Sent to Chicago

10-18-2009: I-130 Delivered

10-23-2009: Cashed check

10-23-2009: NOA1

10-27-2009: Touched

02-08-2010: NOA2!! APPROVED!! email/text received

02-13-2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC JOURNEY

02-12-2010: NVC Case # assigned

02-15-2010: email address given to NVC operator

02-22-2010: AOS/DS3032 email received by NVC

02-22-2010: AOS $70 bill paid

02-22-2010: DS3032 Hardcopy Fedx

02-23-2010: DS3032 received signed for by K.STLAURENT

03-04-2010: DS3032 accepted and system updated

03-04-2010: paid IV bill

took a long time to send in ppwk due to husband's birth certificate delay :(

got birth certificate FINALLY!!!

didn't keep good records...sent in the ppwk and got a RFE for copy of passport

06-24-2010: NVC received the form I forgot to send ...oops

08-02-2010: still waiting on a case complete.....ughhhhh

08-10-2010: 2nd RFE for an updated police record-although the one we have was dated 4 months ago......ughhhhhhh

09-01-2010: NVC received checklist letter with a new police report..

09-23-2010: case complete FINALLY

11-12-2010: Interview-blue slip, need of a co-sponsor & petitioner at interview

12-07-2010: Petitioner interview w/co-sponsor paperwork

Filed: IR-2 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks Nic+Heather, you just made me smile and put me at ease. That sounds like something my fiance would do! I know he will be busy it's just hard not knowing...but you make some very good points. I will be a mess that day I'm sure, but you're right...no news will be good news...(However, my wondering crazy mind is great at thinking of all the What if's? that might be going wrong..lol). But, I will take your advice and try to have patience lol ;)

I got hubby a cellphone plan from her and when I went down for the interview I gave it to him.

CR-1 Visa

California Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

Marriage (if applicable):

2010-11-03

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-11-09

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-30

NVC Received : 2011-04-08

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-18

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-18

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-19

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-04-20

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-04-19

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-29

Pay IV Bill : 2011-05-02

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-06-03

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-04-22

NVC Left : 2011-04-22

Consulate Received : 2011-04-25

Packet 3 Received : 2011-04-29

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-05-04

Packet 4 Received : 2011-05-05

Interview Date : 2011-06-03

Interview Result :

Second Interview

(If Required): 2011-06-21

Second Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received : 2011-06-22

US Entry : 2011-07-04

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.