bora bora

How many letters of certificaiton of translation?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey

I have a question...

I have 5 emails and 2 letters in portugues that a friend has translated for me and that I will send along with the I-129F form and additional documents.

Can I send only one letter of certification by translator stating that she is capable of translating which would cover all 7 translations...or do I need a letter of certification by translator for each email/letter? It seems like a waste to write the same thing 7 times. But the girl who is doing it for me is sure we need to do it that way... Can you help me out please? I want to do this right but I don't want to waste paper.

Thanks so much!

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey

I have a question...

I have 5 emails and 2 letters in portugues that a friend has translated for me and that I will send along with the I-129F form and additional documents.

Can I send only one letter of certification by translator stating that she is capable of translating which would cover all 7 translations...or do I need a letter of certification by translator for each email/letter? It seems like a waste to write the same thing 7 times. But the girl who is doing it for me is sure we need to do it that way... Can you help me out please? I want to do this right but I don't want to waste paper.

Thanks so much!

From the USCIS website:

11.3 Foreign Language Documents and Translations.

(a) Document Translations. All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See 8 CFR 103.2(B)(3).

The translator could simply add to each translation the text you'll find here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ge=translations

I'm curious though. Are you sending e-mails to prove you've met? I guess that is proof of communication (and of having a relationship - which will be needed for the interview), but not exactly of having met.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response.

I thought I had everything together and now it seems this part could be incomplete...

I have that exact sentence for the translator to sign and I have it on a separate sheet of paper stating that all of the translations that were done - that are attached - were translated by her and she is competent...etc. I just want to know do I need to write that on the bottom of each translated email or can I just have one letter for all of them.

The letters and emails are proof of an ongoing relationship...that is why I've included them. Emails where we talked about marriage and a birthday card I sent him while we were apart.

This is all to show proof of ongoing relationship.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
Thanks for the quick response.

I thought I had everything together and now it seems this part could be incomplete...

I have that exact sentence for the translator to sign and I have it on a separate sheet of paper stating that all of the translations that were done - that are attached - were translated by her and she is competent...etc. I just want to know do I need to write that on the bottom of each translated email or can I just have one letter for all of them.

The letters and emails are proof of an ongoing relationship...that is why I've included them. Emails where we talked about marriage and a birthday card I sent him while we were apart.

This is all to show proof of ongoing relationship.

Like I said, I think it wouldn't be any trouble at all for the translator to add the text I linked above to each document translated - yes, I'm ####### like that. :lol: Better to be safe than sorry.

At this point, whilst you *can* send evidence of ongoing relationship, you might want to focus on evidence of *having met* within the last 2 years. I can, however, see how you'd consider the e-mails you've mentioned as being evidence of your mutual intent to marry. In that sense, don't forget to send the letters of intent to marry too (that should be signed).

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Ok, the girl who translated them for me said I should do that too. There will be so many pages to this and I'm trying to make this as organized and neat as possible.

But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry...right?

I have a lot of proof that we've met because we met while I was living in Brasil and I've been back twice. we have flight coupons and I have visas and passport stamps, my certificate that I worked there, pictures, etc.

But I know we also have to show that we have an ongoing relationship, that is why I'm enclosing emails and letters.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
Ok, the girl who translated them for me said I should do that too. There will be so many pages to this and I'm trying to make this as organized and neat as possible.

But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry...right?

I have a lot of proof that we've met because we met while I was living in Brasil and I've been back twice. we have flight coupons and I have visas and passport stamps, my certificate that I worked there, pictures, etc.

But I know we also have to show that we have an ongoing relationship, that is why I'm enclosing emails and letters.

madavis, you only have to show that you proof of ongoing relationship at the interview, after you've gotten USCIS approval. To file for I-129f, evidence of having met is all they ask for. If you have plenty of that, don't send out too much stuff so you won't overwhelm the adjudicator. Sometimes, less is more.

As for letters, the ones you really should send are the "letters of intent". You'll find an example here: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance...r_of_Intent.doc - both you and your fiance have to send one.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

OK, I already have those letters of intent printed and signed by my fiance and I.

Are you saying that you don't think I need to send emails, phone bills, etc. showing that we communicate?

I appreciate your help.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
OK, I already have those letters of intent printed and signed by my fiance and I.

Are you saying that you don't think I need to send emails, phone bills, etc. showing that we communicate?

I appreciate your help.

I think that if you have plenty of evidence of having met, you won't need to overwhelm the adjudicator with lots of things that are not even asked for at this point. I guess the adjudicator will have plenty to read and analyze by seeing pictures, visa stamps, tickets, any receipts you've gotten here in Brazil and whatever else you've got. Save the e-mails, letters, etc. for the interview. I'd keep the filing packet as neat and simple as possible. But that's just me. If you feel more comfortable sending e-mails, etc. out, you can go ahead.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I understand what you mean by less is more but then I read on this website that there is no minimum to what you send...the more you send can mean the less chance you have of an RFE.

So these mixed signals confuse me.

I wasn't going to send a bunch of emails nor a dozen pictures, but a little bit of each.

I just read this:

Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present.

That is why I plan on sending phone bills and emails.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
I understand what you mean by less is more but then I read on this website that there is no minimum to what you send...the more you send can mean the less chance you have of an RFE.

So these mixed signals confuse me.

I wasn't going to send a bunch of emails nor a dozen pictures, but a little bit of each.

I just read this:

Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present.

That is why I plan on sending phone bills and emails.

"the more you send, the less chance you have of an RFE" - not necessarily true. Quantity doesn't make up for content. I understand, though. If it makes you feel any better, my fiance's sent his passport showing the visa stamps of his trips to Brazil, his e-tickets and 2 pictures showing the both of us. But, again, if sending out e-mails and letters too will make you feel more comfortable and will give you some piece of mind, go ahead. :)

Also, in my opinion, the quote from VJ's guide you referred to above is related to proof of ongoing relationship. Bullet points 1, 2 and 3 (3 being optional) are the ones you should focus on at this point.

Good luck with the filing! :star:

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.